Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, he's a type of pigeon that I don't have any experience with to know how they tend to walk (that breed has "funny" legs anyhow), but if you're looking at an arthritic process in that part of the foot, I'd actually tend to use Doxycycline instead of Baytril.

Pidgey

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Haha, how funny, His name is Pidgey, just like yours! His full name is Pidgeotto- like the Pokemon 2nd evolution (I adore that show!), but it's Pidgey for short (the 1st evolution) hehe! :)

Anyway, yeah, I did some research, and found him to be a lot like the pouters- he kinda inflates his chest a bit, but I think he's too weak to go all out like the ones in the pictures...

I can't thank you all enough for your replies, honestly, it means the world to me! You're all extremely helpful, thanks x 1000000000000!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
By the way, I'd tend to guess that he's not very far from a cropper variety--that was what I thought when I saw him but I'm certainly no expert on breeds. Take a look:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...rev=/images?q=cropper+pigeons&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

Pidgey
yep, you're right. couldn't tell that until I saw those LONG legs in the latest video. He's still not walking "normal" but I have to wonder if it's because of being kept in a small cage for so long?
Aqua, how big (or small) was the cage that this bird was in at the pet store.?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, he's a type of pigeon that I don't have any experience with to know how they tend to walk (that breed has "funny" legs anyhow), but if you're looking at an arthritic process in that part of the foot, I'd actually tend to use Doxycycline instead of Baytril.

Pidgey

Are those antibiotics? Would it help his leg possibly? I notice that his toes look a bit, well, uncontrolled... Meaning, they're not positioned properly. Only on the bad leg... The toes on his other foot are normal looking, facing the proper way on the floor- the bad legs' toes are kinda laying sideways, and his 'balancing' back toe is to the front with the rest... I'm gonna check it out again when he's done munching- he's nibbling on food right now...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Lovebirds,

He was in a very small cage- couldn't even flap his wings... :( I'd say it was about 1.5 x 2 ft.

He was MUCH worse with walking and standing the day I brought him home... It was like he was just learning to walk and was afraid to try... Plus the bars on the bottom of the cage were a death trap- he fell through it at least 5 times while I was at the pet store, so he would give up on trying to stand or walk. :(

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Don't suppose you can take a closeup picture of that foot? Yes, Doxycycline is an antibiotic. It's not uncommon for pigeons to get bacterial arthritis. In such cases, they can have painful joints that limit their ability to walk, fly or both. 'Tis true--can't properly diagnose from what we've seen so far but sometimes it's better safe than sorry. I'd try to find a source for a Tetracycline at a store near you. Doxycycline's probably best but there are others that would work with names like Terramycin or Aureomycin. You can get them at pet stores and feed stores. If you found one and chose to treat, you'd have to get us the exact product and packaging for us to come up with a dosing strategy. Considering your explanation of his earlier life, I'd probably give him a few days to see how physical therapy helps out but I'd like to have the Plan B ready.

Pidgey

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes, I'll try to get a picture now. And there is a place called 'For Birds Only', they have antibiotics there. I'm gonna call and find out which types they have, then I'll let you know in a few. He does have hard lumpy spots in his legs- and they're not in the same spot on both legs either, so it can't be normal. Feels like the bone was broken and is sticking out in those spots. Not saying thats what it is, but thats how it feels- really jagged edge.

From the looks of his foot now, it seems that the back toe I spoke of is where it should be kinda... It's hard to tell because of the feathers on his feet...

Brb

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Hi Aqua,

Thanks for rescuing this little sweety. Bragg's raw apple cider vinegar is what
is most commonly used in terms of ACV. The raw ACV has what is known as the "mother" in it, which in itself contains probiotics and additionally, the acidic environment is what good bacteria thrives and multiplies in. Four tablespoons though, is a bit high...even just one tablespoon will provide the necessary acidic environment, two would be plenty for routine maintenance.
I'm tapping on the wisdom of Gordon Chalmers here on the amount.

It wouldn't be uncommon for a pigeon to have worms, canker (Trichomonas)
and Coccidia are also usually present though not necessarily in a disease state. Both Canker and Cocidiosis are present in what's known as a "host equilibrium" state, and when a bird becomes stressed for a variety of reasons, then one or both of these can rise in organism population and become a diseased state. Just something to be aware of for the care of your new companion.

Here's a link to the Resource Section which you can also navigate to from the
forum menu:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f25/

And from the Resource section, here is a link to the Pigeon Supply Houses:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f25/pigeon-supply-houses-usa-amp-australia-only-9455.html

I have also seen some of my birds do the head shaking thing and beak gaping...sometimes the gaping can be as simple as having just finished preening, sometimes it can be worms. Medipet has a wormer that's pretty
broad spectrum and safe, here's a link;

http://www.jedds.com/-strse-Medicin...ln-Praziquantel--pls--Pyrantel/Categories.bok

Ivermectin or Moxidectin (Scatt) are both good for protection against round worm (only) and external parasites that feed off of the blood.

I would be concerned about the issue w/the leg and knee. What we don't
know is if the problem truly stems from an injury or is this a form of Articular
Salmonella which would require treatment. The poops do look good and that
is promising. I'd keep a close eye on the bird's over the next few days and
see if the bird is navigating any better with a few days time and keep folks here posted w/progress updates on your bird. Also, a handy technique for
new comers when medicating or assisting w/eating is what Dr. Shuckman
refers to as the "Bird Burrito". You take something like a hand towel or
pillow case, fold it length wise and wrap the bird up so that the wings are
immobilized and the head is sticking out the top.

Hope this helps,

fp

·
Registered
521 Posts
What a beautiful bird!!!

He is so lucky you found him!!

I wanted to add that when I get in adult ferals that are sick, injured, stressed, skinny, or otherwise having a hard time eating I mix up some Kaytee Exact Hand Rearing Formula to the consistnecy of applesauce (it should be no hotter than 105 degrees), and using a tapered nosed large syringe (usually available at any petshop next to the hand rearing formula, or next to the puppy and kitten milk replacers) I fill their crops with one or two syringes full twice a day.

If you have any experience with hand-feeding birds, pigeons are surprisinlgy easy - even adults. If not, maybe someone at the bird store (or a local pigeon person) can show you how? You don't want to accidentally shoot formula down the wrong pipe, but really hand-feeding pidgies is quite easy to do and helps fill them up with easily digestible food.

Hope this info helps you out until you get him to the vet or wherever.
:)

Best of luck to you, I hope you get to keep him when he's better, he is so handsome!

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
In the first video s/he looked like a feral pigeon to me, in the second video when s/he stood up, what a difference :eek:
You got a fancy there alright.
It wouldn't hurt if you would purchase from the pet store a vitamin supplement and calcium. I know you mentioned you bought oyster shell grit but is she eating it? You might want to get something to put in the water.
I would definately try some calcium. My vet recommends to dissolve a tums tablet in their water.

Reti

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for the info feralpigeon... :) How much Bragg's ACV in how much water? One tbsp per gallon? I just want to make sure I do it right! And thanks Karijo and Reti and everyone else I thanked before, this information is SOOOOOOOO helpful! I feel a lot better about this situation already. My bf is on his way back, and we're gonna get a bunch of stuff for Pidgey...

And yes, he loves the Oyster Shell, I don't know how much I should let him eat, so I give him a little bit here and there everyday...

As far as keeping him goes, well, when I got him, my original intention was to nurse him back to health, and release him (thought he'd be happier free)- but it didn't take long before I realized that he seems quite happy having blanket-nests to cuddle up in on a nice warm couch, in a nice warm apartment! He's super tame and friendly and looooooves sitting on laps. I think he'd end up sitting outside someone's door waiting for them to save him! And besides, all it takes is landing at the 'wrong' door with someone who thinks pigeons are disgusting (incredibly ignorant humans) and who knows what would happen... :(

So, I think he's found his home right here. :) My interest is always their interest- I want nothing more than the animal to be happy- that is my joy.

Gonna get ready to go, I'll post back with details on how the 'force' (I dislike using that term :( ) feeding goes...

Big Hugs to you all!! You're an amazing group of people!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
well. he's either Brunner or pigmy pouter, I'd guess. What about just holding the food in your hand when you try to feed. That funny little kid of yours is very comfortable with hands, and a real sweetie. Sure glad you got him out of a bad situation. It's obvious you care for him greatly. You are going to be a wonderful pigeon parent.
Daryl

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Yeah, that bird way more than likely wouldn't make it "out there"--he's a domestic pigeon and they usually don't stand much of a chance living out in the wild.

I can't see any serious swelling in those pictures. If possible, you might try taking a picture from the underneath side. That'd probably be more revealing due to the feathers.

Pidgey

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
ALSO,

He drinks his water, no problems there... I bring it to him and offer it every 30 minutes or so... Oh, and it's bottled Distilled water... I don't give nasty tap to him or my cat.

Hi Aqua

'Distilled' Water would be very bad for him...

Various Bottled Waters people use for drinking, would be fine...but 'Distilled', "No"...

I'll keep reading...

Phil
l v

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Aqua...as far as feeding...put a deeper, VERY FULL, small bowl type, dish of seed right in front of him ... water too. Make it always available except at night. You can sink them down in that blanket you have him on so it's easy for him to reach. Maybe he will just go after the food and you won't need to hand feed him.
Generally, Pigeons eat a lot at one time. The amount you were offering him by hand, in the video, isn't nearly enough to sustain him.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Aqua,

His Toe-Nails are normal for a Wild or Feral Bird, or for a Bird who has notbeen in Cage or indoors especially long, anyway.

Possibly, he had sprained or pulled a muscle or twisted a Joint at the Store-Cage-Situation...and, having had him on 'distilled' Water, has messed up his system.

Poops indicate he has been without Grit.

So, if it was me, I'd try this -

Real 'drinking' Water, whether Bottled or 'tap'...

Good Grit...

ACV-Water, say, to the tune of Three to Four Tablespoons to a Gallon of Water...of whatever Water which is not 'distilled'.

And see how things go.

Supplimental Vitamins-minerals would be good also.

Good luck..!

Phil
l v

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
OK, the bird store didn't have doxycycline, and it was too late to get Ornycin Plus (they suggested that) because they shut down the debit terminals... So they gave me some formula for the time being...

I also got frozen organic peas and corn, Bragg's apple cider vinegar and Colloidal Silver...

Gonna read back through these posts and make sure I administer everything properly!

Also, I did notice that the 'knee' swelling I mentioned feels a bit less today, I'll have a closer look and try to get pictures with as much detail as I can...

Thanks to you all!!!!!!! :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Aqua...as far as feeding...put a deeper, VERY FULL, small bowl type, dish of seed right in front of him ... water too. Make it always available except at night. You can sink them down in that blanket you have him on so it's easy for him to reach. Maybe he will just go after the food and you won't need to hand feed him.
Generally, Pigeons eat a lot at one time. The amount you were offering him by hand, in the video, isn't nearly enough to sustain him.
Oh OK, I'll get him a deeper dish... What I was giving him by hand was just trying to get him to eat... He has bowls of food all over from me trying to 'inspire' an appetite... I'll do that now... :) Thanks :D

Hi Aqua,

His Toe-Nails are normal for a Wild or Feral Bird, or for a Bird who has notbeen in Cage or indoors especially long, anyway.

Possibly, he had sprained or pulled a muscle or twisted a Joint at the Store-Cage-Situation...and, having had him on 'distilled' Water, has messed up his system.

Poops indicate he has been without Grit.

So, if it was me, I'd try this -

Real 'drinking' Water, whether Bottled or 'tap'...

Good Grit...

ACV-Water, say, to the tune of Three to Four Tablespoons to a Gallon of Water...of whatever Water which is not 'distilled'.

And see how things go.

Supplimental Vitamins-minerals would be good also.

Good luck..!

Phil
l v

OMG, no way! Crap... I thought distilled water was the best one... :( OK, no more of that! Thank you for finding that out for me, I would have never even thought of checking that out!

So, as far as the grit goes, should I give him more Oyster Shell? I have herbal grit food from the pet store, looks like a bunch of small rocks mostly! He picks at it, but does consume it... But since he's not eating much of anything, I suppose he's not getting enough (of anything at all really)...

Gonna dump this formula and make a new batch with regular water until I can get 'drinking' water...

I gave him vitamins, my neighbor has it for his birds, but I'll get him his own tomorrow when the bird store is open... :)

XO!

Aww.... he just flew over and sat on my lap... and melted my heart again!

21 - 40 of 78 Posts