Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello you lovely Pigeon lovers :)

About a month ago there was a Pigeon outside my door, in the rain, he seemed in a trance, he was soaked and I thought someone would kick him or a cat might get him so I brought him in.

Some years ago I witnessed a young man kill a seagull with one rock to the head on the beach and I have been kind of agoraphobic since. So I have a bias against the "outside world" so I thought he would be safer with me, so I kept him for this long... I thought Pigeon was a Dove but from looking at pictures, narrowed it down to a juvenile Wood Pigeon, because he had a rather longish beak, and it was dark. Now his beak has become more lighter coloured as he got older, and he is starting to get a patch on the side of his neck.

Pigeon is staying in the bedroom, on the wardrobe and I covered the bed with fabric and put his food in a plate and water in a deep dish and some sand and grit on a separate plate. I give him flax seed, chopped up spinach, wheat berries, cabbage... I made a big mistake and gave him desiccated coconut before googling if it was ok... I feel terrible... I stopped immediately.

His poops were watery and now they are not watery, but they are quite small, is this normal? Is it because of the desiccated coconut?

In the middle of the night, or when it gets dark if I don't put the light on for him, he starts flapping and thrashing around, flying into the ceiling and badly hurting himself. What is causing him to behave like this? What should I do?

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Sounds a little strange, as just about all pigeons are still and quiet at night so as - when outside - they don't attract night predators such as owls. Pigeon vision is not great at night, like ours.

If it is just briefly when the light goes out, it could be the sudden transition that panics him - they are very 'highly strung' unlike ferals/homers.

Maybe one of the UK members on Facebook can share some experience

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PigeonProtection/

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He would be better off I would think in a good sized cage for the night.
That being said, have you tried leaving a nite-lite on at night? So he can see somewhat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh ok, i will get him a cage, do you think it will be easy to put him in it? i don't handle him, i did handle him a few times when i first rescued him... his claws are very long and sharp!

i started leaving a small light on at night, but he still freaked out, but a bit less violently... i will see how he is tonight.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Thank you for rescuing him! Cage and turning the light on sooner would help. Also, if you gently wrap him in a towel, you could just trim the slightest tips odf his sharp claws to make it easier for you to hold him. He will get very tame, with time.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
You could try a cage, but I would warn you that Wood Pigeons, being true 'wild' birds, do not like captivity. If he knocks himself about in a cage he could easily damage his wings. I doubt he will become particularly tame, either. They are very unlike our ferals.

The best think for them is, provided they are not sick or disabled, to be in a facility with others of their species from which they would be released. He would learn the ropes from other woodies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh, i see, i was afraid of that. i live in a very busy main street, i don't think it's safe for him to be released back where i found him. there are many cars, cats, foxes, and horrible people who hurt animals. i will find a better place to release him eventually, but i would rather make sure he is healthy first. there is a bird haven place in a nearby town but i have had some bad experiences with charities that are supposed to care for animals, so i am not sure about it.

i don't really understand how he was supposed to live in this street, there is no food for pigeons, that i can see?

i will post some pics today, just to confirm what kind he is :)

thank you all for your replies!

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Guess he must be quite a youngster. I have one who is utterly silly and soft - he was very young when he was rescued by someone. A little older, he would have been wild enough to come nowhere near.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I do not know a lot about different birdies other than pigeons here in my country but he sure does look like some kind of a dove. I had a Ring Neck Dove for a pet and I believe in your country they call them collared doves and I named "her" Mrs Grouchy and since she was wild gradually released her before migration ( I guess they migrate)..lol..Well anyway after I gave her a helping hand getting her well as a young one she began to hit the walls in the bird room especially at night time. I do believe that she was measuring the distance of the walls or something so that she could fly at night. She also hit the window a few times and whenever I wore a certain print shirt or bright colors this would freak her out as well. I shared this with another forum asking for help and no one knew what the problem was...Well anyway eventually she settle down and only picked two spots in the room to call her own but would fly around the spots in the morning for exercise and stay contented the rest of the time of course with good seed and other foods. When she was in "her mood" I could actually pick her up and pet her and she became really tame at that time. She would fly to my shoulder and head at other times but any stranger or shirt print or bright color red she would freak out with as we went into bird room. But all this to say she will settle down if she is a dove but I do not know about your wonderful woodies who are very excited birds and hard to have in captivity but to me ---the pictures look like some kind of a dove...I have never seen any of these birdies in England in real life but she or he is a cutie and really looks like a dove to me...But your the experts you are there in England and I wish that I could go and take a vacation there as well...lol lol Lucky people...

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
It is not too different from the band-tailed pigeons you have down the west coast. Probably similar habits, too. Though band-tails frequent wooded areas, I've seen pics of them at backyard feeders also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts