Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home from work and went out to check my pigeons. One had disappeared this morning while flying and did not return home before I had to go to work. I knew that this probably meant something had gone wrong.

But I really wasn't prepared for what I found.

I don't know what could have done this to this bird...

It appears that the top part of his beak is..well....shoved down his throat, leaving only the bottom part in its right place.

There are no other marks on him...he seems to be breathing okay...but I don't know how this can be fixed. I do not have an avian vet in my area...I highly doubt that my regular vet will do anything but put it down.

I can feel the beak in his throat. The bird is conscious and alert, but I can only imagine how painful this must be.

I'm in shambles over this, I only have a few birds, and I love them all dearly. If anyone is out there that can offer assistance...please do...I've brought him in the house in a crate and done what I can to make him comfortable.

Here is the picture...I can take more if needed...Please brace yourself...this is pretty bad...

Please help me...

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Can you gently pull the upper beak out of the mouth? I found a Pigeon like this last year and that's what I had to do.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can try...I'm going to have to steady my hands I'm shaking all over..

There's no space at all or any part of the top beak to grip...should I use tweezers?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Use you fingers. Calm down before you start. Do you have a veternary emergency clinic near by?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I...got it out...it is a little out of place though...pushed back a bit and the tip isn't matching up with the tip of the bottom beak.
I'm going to get my hospital cage now...looks like he is going to be a house bird for awhile..

Will he regain full use of his beak?

I am prepared to hand feed....should I go with the softer peas and corn or let him have his usual seed mix?

Poor poor guy I feel so bad for him.

Here is a pic of him now:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should I maybe bring his buddy inside with him? He has a buddy pigeon that he pals around with in the loft...maybe it would be a calming influence on him the have his friend in the house with him?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nearest emergency clinic is about an hours drive....they will charge me $300 to walk through the door this time of night though..

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Well you got it out so you don't need to take him in.
He probably really really hurts. The pigeon that I had with a similar injury, wasn't bloody. Can you just imagine the impact to have done that to the beak?
I do think he will be OK in a week or so but you may need to hand feed him.
You can bring his buddy inside to see if that calms him but if his buddy acts stressed out from being caged, do remove him.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Hi Bella, that's a good thing that you got it to pop back out. This isn't that rare of an occurrence, at least I've heard of it happening a few times on here, and often people think the beak is actually missing. I would keep him warm and quiet for the night and see how he is tomorrow; I think his buddy would help keep him calm but I wouldn't bring it in tonight. More people will have more advice. Can you use a Q-tip and clean up some of the blood with a bit of warm water? Or if that would upset him too much then maybe not. I hope he does well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The blood is mostly dried blood...probably from the moment of the injury. It isn't bleeding now.

I think I am going to wait until tomorrow to clean him up. I'm afraid if I handle him anymore the stress will just be too much for him and he'll go into shock on me.
When I found him my first thought was that the beak was gone...but after I felt his throat I knew it was still there. I guess I will leave the buddy outside for tonight. He's being very quiet all by himself...alert, but not panicky.

I can't believe that the beak could actually get shoved down like that! I always thought a beak would break before going down the throat.

Thank you guys so much for the help and reassurance. I really love my birds and losing one is unacceptable to me...not if there is anything I can do to stop it.

This bird actually has had a rough time of life so far. Him and a couple others were lost during shipping and spent 5 days in shipping. Now this.

Ironically...I had named him Lucky.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That beak thing is so shocking, I remember when I found the one I did...i was just as panicked as you were. I called my friend Deb, a wildlife vet, and she kind of chuckled and said...just pull the upper beak out of the mouth. I couldn't imagine that the bird would be OK...but it was.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Charis...shocking is right. I was in a panic...still kind of am...I don't think I will sleep at all tonight, even though I barely got any last night and have worked 28 hours in the last two days.

Lucky will have company tonight. I think I will pop in a movie and sit in the chair next to his cage tonight..keep an eye on him.
I really hope he recovers okay.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Oh my gosh! :eek: Poor baby. I've never heard of anything like that before! I would have reacted the exact same way; panic. I've heard of birds with parts of, or all of, the top half of the beak missing, but never it....being pushed backwards?? I didn't know that was possible. Figured it'd break as well! When I think about it, and try to relate, I think of how it feels when your finger nails are grown out a bit, and you accidentally bend the nail backwards :eek: Makes me hurt all over just thinking about it!
How do you suppose an injury like that would happen?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Looks worse that actually is Bella. You can clean it with chamomile tea and cotton bud or q-tip. It is sore now, so feeding will be maybe problematic, but in couple of days it will be Ok. Beaks in birds are more like nails in humans soft part is near head while hardens toward the tip. Keep it inside in quiet place and it will be fine.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I think it will all be ok, Bella. I have had a couple of birds like yours with the upper beak driven through the bottom one. I, also, just about totally freaked the first time but was so relieved when I realized what was going on. It's so much better to just push the beak back up than to really face dealing with a bird that has no upper beak ..

Terry

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Bella, you did GREAT. Charis, bless your heart for being on the site when Bella and Lucky needed guidance.

Lucky will be going through some stress now, so keep Lucky isolated, quiet and warm. If the companion adds to his or her stress, separate them as earlier advised. Let us know in the morning how this beautiful bird is doing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hey Bella,

I hope things turn out well for 'Lucky' and the others. How was he flying prior to this? Please PM me from time to time as I would like to know how they are doing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts