Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could someone please help my baby feather legged tubbler is ill he hatched on the 12 may so is 4 weeks old he has bright green poo stuck to his back end and has a swollen back please help me quickly

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just to let you no we have featched the baby pigeon in and have put him in a towel on a heat pad and have hand feed him some corn and water

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Do you know if the baby had an injury?

Can you post a pic of the baby and the swollen back?

Please post all symptoms.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes sorry the baby seems very weak has a swollen arse end where poo comes out with bright green poo around it the baby feels very light and thin sorry im really new to having pigeons and this is my first baby and i really love him (percy) thank you for your help gemma x

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Is the back or butt swollen?

The baby needs to be warmed up and fed after following instructions to hydrate , if it is feeling very light.

At this point I would advise you to take the bird to a pigeon-friendly vet.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Sounds like she has an obstruction, and I would get the baby to an avian vet for diagnosis, it is possible your baby has canker, which needs immediate attention and treatment.

It could be something else, so rather then guessing it is best to get this treated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi sky thank for your help do u think he could be constipated ? i carnt really afford veternairy tretment but am desperate to help him

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
hi sky thank for your help do u think he could be constipated ? i carnt really afford veternairy tretment but am desperate to help him
Are these pigeons getting a pigeon seed mix, if they are they should not have any blockages.

I have no idea and cannot make a diagnosis, but canker can kill and cause all kinds of issues as it grows, and time is of the essence here.

If the baby is digesting and if the food is dry you can add a few safflower seeds to the diet or a drop of olive oil to the food (no more) even a tiny bit of applesauce will get food to digest better-you can try it, but I wouldn't gamble with it at this point, if the baby is so weak and light.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
This may sound pretty basic, but have you washed his vent? Sometimes it gets pasted over with poop and the poop builds up in the cloaca.

There is also the possibility that it has an infection .

Is the swelling hard or soft?

I can send you something to treat if for canker and infection if you PM me your address.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i would like to say thank you to every1 who helped me

just an update percy pigeon died today not long after the posts we had manged to get him an appointment at the vets but he didnt make it he deterated very fast and after crying for a while i thought i should just post to let you nice people know i didnt think i could get soo attached to a pigeon after 4 weeks but i truely loved him and am gutted thank you again gemma

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm sorry you lost him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts