Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help or advice. I've had my pigeons for about a year now, I rescued one and originally she bonded with me and was nice and fantastic and easy to care for. Then I found another and rescued her and she was also nice, but had a very bad habit of shooting her nasty egg poops out of the side of the cage. They ended up bonding, and now it's a non stop egg fest...nasty poops no matter how much I cover them early or do any advice I've seen to simulate winter/non breeding season, and on top of it they hate me and want absolutely nothing to do with me.

One I had trained to fly to me and now she won't even do that, and just grunts at me. They've both been in situations where I've had to wrangle them in and catch them...they're indoors, so for example this morning one flew out and I had to snatch her quickly since I had to get to work, and she was pooping all over my house. Now she hates me even more. They are both females. I just feel so upset, I can't get them to like me now no matter what I do, and with their breeding and pooping habits, I just don't know that they're a fit for an apartment space any longer.

What should I do? Would I be a bad person for re homing one of them? I wouldn't even know how to re home them.

I'm sorry if I've done something wrong, I've tried my best to keep them loved and comforted, and let them out around the house in pigeon pants when they're not laying...but it's constant now and I never get a break from cleaning gross poops that they intentionally poop out onto the floor around their cage.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Sorry you have been having a hard time with them.
I wrap hard plasric or an old curtain of cloth around tge cages to keep any mess inside the cage, securing it with elastic.
A lone pigeon will generally be tamer than a pair although some of our pairs are very tame. It takes time. Giving some chopped peanuts or safflower seeds by hand usually gets them friendlier.
They dont hate you. Their little pigeon brains just program them to out their mate first and while they are laying eggs, they are fiercely protective of them. Do you have fake eggs to swap out for their eggs?
Would love to see photos.
It would be kind of mean to separate an established pair except as a last resort.
Some people use pigeon diapers. We used to just use towels where our indoor bird Phoebe would sit.
Our birds now live in large flight cages outside in a shed.
Where do you live? If you need to rehome on people here may be able to make suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry you have been having a hard time with them.
I wrap hard plasric or an old curtain of cloth around tge cages to keep any mess inside the cage, securing it with elastic.
A lone pigeon will generally be tamer than a pair although some of our pairs are very tame. It takes time. Giving some chopped peanuts or safflower seeds by hand usually gets them friendlier.
They dont hate you. Their little pigeon brains just program them to out their mate first and while they are laying eggs, they are fiercely protective of them. Do you have fake eggs to swap out for their eggs?
Would love to see photos.
It would be kind of mean to separate an established pair except as a last resort.
Some people use pigeon diapers. We used to just use towels where our indoor bird Phoebe would sit.
Our birds now live in large flight cages outside in a shed.
Where do you live? If you need to rehome on people here may be able to make suggestions.
Thank you cwebster, I am incredibly upset. I do have towels and good coverage around the bottom sides of the cage, but the smaller female has a bad habit of clinging to the side and aiming her diarrhea out of the side. She gets very bad egg diarrhea when she's laying, because the other female pigeon will not help her at all with sitting. They aren't incredibly bonded, they seem to have became friends merely due to circumstance of being near each other in the room, and I was able to put them together. I am located in Virginia, I just am wondering if the smaller female would be better suited to be with a male who will help her properly with egg laying so her stomach wouldn't get upset, or in an outdoor aviary, since that is what she is accustomed to.

I just feel horrible about it all, I feel like I tried to help but am in over my head! Thank you for your kindness.

·
Registered
463 Posts
What she is doing is holding in her poop until she gets off the eggs. All pigeons do this when sitting on eggs as they don't want to dirty their nest area.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I understand how you feel. I have always maintained that pigeons just don't make great house pets. They are smart and while they can be enjoyable, they are also very messy to have in a house.

Not her fault about trying to send her droppings outside of the cage. That is pretty instinctive. She doesn't want to soil the nesting area. When I do need to keep a pair who will have eggs in the house, I keep a small travel cage next to it, with newspaper on the bottom and a paper towel. A few times a day, if you were to take that bird and place her in the smaller cage, she will poop there. Then you just put her back. It has worked like a charm for me. Otherwise they will just try to hold it for too long so as not to soil the nesting area (their cage).

Do your birds lay their eggs in the same nest?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand how you feel. I have always maintained that pigeons just don't make great house pets. They are smart and while they can be enjoyable, they are also very messy to have in a house.

Not her fault about trying to send her droppings outside of the cage. That is pretty instinctive. She doesn't want to soil the nesting area. When I do need to keep a pair who will have eggs in the house, I keep a small travel cage next to it, with newspaper on the bottom and a paper towel. A few times a day, if you were to take that bird and place her in the smaller cage, she will poop there. Then you just put her back. It has worked like a charm for me. Otherwise they will just try to hold it for too long so as not to soil the nesting area (their cage).

Do your birds lay their eggs in the same nest?
Jay that is a fantastic idea, I had never thought of that! I agree, I love them a lot and I was very happy to rescue them, but I definitely wish I had the ability to build an outdoor aviary!

They do not lay in the same nest...they will sometimes preen each other, but overall do not act overly bonded--they HATED each other for months and months until finally one allowed the other into their cage. They lay at separate times, and the smaller one will sit on the larger ones eggs when she lays, but not the other way around. I really feel for her, I think she needs a more attentive mate so she can get off the nest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First off I honestly know nothing about piegons...I'm feeding them and helping out my mother whole she's on vacation. I noticed however one of the younger ones that I've handled since he just got is colorful feathers has just stopped walking and not very interactive for the last couple days. He used to come to the door of their enclosure when I am feeding them the other ones are picking on him. He just kinda gobbles his head and won't walk. What can I do to help him? Ive brought him inside made a little bed for him water and seed is available to him as well. Please help my little girls are attached as an I 😕

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
First off I honestly know nothing about piegons...I'm feeding them and helping out my mother whole she's on vacation. I noticed however one of the younger ones that I've handled since he just got is colorful feathers has just stopped walking and not very interactive for the last couple days. He used to come to the door of their enclosure when I am feeding them the other ones are picking on him. He just kinda gobbles his head and won't walk. What can I do to help him? Ive brought him inside made a little bed for him water and seed is available to him as well. Please help my little girls are attached as an I 😕
I'm sorry, but this is someone elses thread who is also looking for help. It will get too confusing trying to help both of you, and not fair to the original poster. I will PM you on how to start a new thread on your topic, so that we can also help you. Thanks.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Jay that is a fantastic idea, I had never thought of that! I agree, I love them a lot and I was very happy to rescue them, but I definitely wish I had the ability to build an outdoor aviary!

They do not lay in the same nest...they will sometimes preen each other, but overall do not act overly bonded--they HATED each other for months and months until finally one allowed the other into their cage. They lay at separate times, and the smaller one will sit on the larger ones eggs when she lays, but not the other way around. I really feel for her, I think she needs a more attentive mate so she can get off the nest.
Oh yes, an outdoor aviary makes a huge difference. The feathers, droppings and dust are all outside. I hope this does help some. She will get the idea in a short time. Because she has been holding it and needs to go, she should go soon after being put into the smaller cage. She should catch on fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts