Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I found a pigeon that could not fly, paralyzed legs and tail on July 4th and took it home to try to help. Gave vitamins, some dove food and some high calcium food supplement too. Also gentle massage on legs, neck and spine.
Legs started moving, can stand on one, second moving but weak to hold on to. Tail is turned to one side and poor bird is trying to stand all the time using wings which caused some tips break.
I feel like it’s loosing weight now and not sure how long can I keep it on my balcony. Please help

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Post a picture of the bird and at least one "normal" dropping from the bird.

Did the vitamins and/or the calcium supplement that you've given include vitamin D?

Is the bird eating well? He should be consuming about 1.5 to 2 ounces per day, which is roughly 3 tablespoons of mixed seeds. The dove mix is probably not a high-energy diet, and it might help to add to the bird's diet some out-of-the-shell raw or roasted-but-not-salted sunflower kernels or peanuts (also out-of-the-shell.)

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
It's possible he has a spinal injury. Apparently they can recover from this but will take time. Can't you bring him inside your home and put him in a small box with food and a small bowl of water within reach. Try to make him comfortable as possible.
Green Jaw Organism Gesture Finger

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Post a picture of the bird and at least one "normal" dropping from the bird.

Did the vitamins and/or the calcium supplement that you've given include vitamin D?

Is the bird eating well? He should be consuming about 1.5 to 2 ounces per day, which is roughly 3 tablespoons of mixed seeds. The dove mix is probably not a high-energy diet, and it might help to add to the bird's diet some out-of-the-shell raw or roasted-but-not-salted sunflower kernels or peanuts (also out-of-the-shell.)
Thank you so much for Your response
Yes multivitamins has D
I will post pics now
Thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's possible he has a spinal injury. Apparently they can recover from this but will take time. Can't you bring him inside your home and put him in a small box with food and a small bowl of water within reach. Try to make him comfortable as possible. View attachment 102381
We live in LA it’s warm and there is a box with fluffy towel where the bird usually sleeps. He doesn’t seem to like the Dove food I bought.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
That's a young adult pigeon / Rock Dove. There are definitely various signs of illness other than the limb paralysis. The operculum / cere is off-color, it should be white. The discoloration could be either from a physical cause or a respiratory infection (probably due to fungus or yeast.) The fecal portion of the droppings is a bit loose and formless, but not totally, so it is borderline diarrhea. The clear fluid urine doesn't seem to be discolored, but there is a bit more than is normal, though not a lot or perhaps it only looks that way because the pad material is absorbing it well. The urates / solid urine should be white to just slightly off-white, and in the picture they appear to be a bit too yellow. That could be influenced by B vitamins in the supplement which is fine, or it could be due to an infection affecting the liver -- of which there are many different causes, bacteria / virus / fungus. The paralysis can also be a symptom of various infectious illnesses, or of physical trauma.

In short, the bird is sick and may also have some injury. Did you notice any wounds or bone-breaks while massaging the bird?

Pigeons can and do recover from illness and illness-induced paralysis, but they may need assistance eating and drinking.

I'd start by giving the bird a bath in room-temperature water with boric acid added (at about one teaspoon per quart of water.) Boric acid is antiseptic, anti-fungal, and kills external parasites such as mites. I use a large mixing bowl half-full of bath water with boric acid. Use one hand to prevent the bird from flying away, or from submerging his head in the water. Use the other hand to pour handfuls of the water over the bird's body until he is thoroughly soaked. Be careful not to pour water over his eyes, or beak where the nostrils / nares are located.

For the inside of the bird, I'd feed him about two ounces (roughly three tablespoons) of food per day, across several feedings. Their diet is mostly grains, seeds, and legumes like peas and lentils. I'd forego commercial bird seed mixes and instead give the bird dry/raw seeds which are also naturally antibiotic such as peas, lentils, cumin seed, fennel. I'd also include a high-energy seed such as sunflower kernels (out-of-the-shell), and barley and oats (or plain rolled oats) for a broader variety of nutrients. The vitamins which you are already providing will cover the few nutritional needs that aren't fulfilled by the seeds. A bit of raw apple cider vinegar added to the drinking water every-other-day at most would also be helpful in fighting infections in the digestive and upper respiratory tracts. Try every-other day for the first week, and less frequently as his symptoms lessen.

The bird can fully recover with a bit of supportive care, possibly for more than a month.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much
God bless you! Such a detailed message with so much help
I have never handled or had a bird before and have 2 cats, hence keeping him on the balcony.
do you think there is any harm from the infection to cats or humans?
will keep you posted how it goes in a couple of weeks if you don’t mind.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
A few small chopped bits of ginger root, and some rosemary seeds added to the bird's daily food would be a nice preventive against toxoplasma gondii, which cats frequently carry. Humans and cats are closer in body temperature than are cats and birds, or humans and birds, so it would be more likely that the mammals might share infections that won't bother the bird. Even then, all my life I have been warned that animals carry diseases which could make people sick, and yet I only tend to contract illnesses such as colds and flus as they are passing among people, and that despite that I have spent quite a lot of time in close and prolonged contact with many different kinds of animals.

Updates would be wonderful!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts