Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning to smoke my morning cigarette and was shocked to find a pigeon sitting on my bottom step. He is responsive but would not move. When my dad woke up I asked him what I should do because as a child we attempted nursing a bird back to health and it unfortunately died. My dad tried petting him and we realized his leg was caught in a crack in the brick. when my dad released his foot he semi flew to the side walk and didn't move from there. we walked over to him and he hobbled as if he had a broken leg. My dad grabbed him and I found a cat carrier and a towel and we placed him in there. My dad said he looks like he has ticks very very large ones that hid under his feathers. I have a 9 month old son and two cats and a dog that I am scared to bring him in if he has something that could hurt them. I don't want to call the humane society because I am sure they will kill him. I would like to see him healthy and free. Not sure what to do and I don't have much money to work with. I have read many posts but still am unsure. Please help. He is responsive but I think he is sleepy cause he has the towel over him and he looks like he is trying to take a nap but becomes alert at any sound. any advice is welcome.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for bringing the bird inside and your care over him.

Please do keep him calm and away from noise and drafts.

Follow this link first:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=8822

Do not worry about the pigeon flies or pests they rarely like humans and cats/dogs.

Any bird spray with permethrin in it will work on killing the bugs.

Where do you live perhaps we can find you a local rehabber.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
can you post pics of him? he sounds like he has pigeon flys and will need to be dusted with 5% sevin dust, his leg if broken may need to be splinted, where is your location to see if there are any members near you that may beable to help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Norfolk, Va. The only things I have available are dog and cat flea bath things which I already read can hurt him. he is covered and I tried giving him some doughnut:), but no go he was not intrested:(. I know nothing about birds and have so many things to care for. we know he can fly (he didn't go far or high) but he limped on one side, the side whee his foot was caught. I am a sucker for animals and I think he was on my step for a reason so I would like to help him best I can.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If you can bring him to williamsburg va,and turn him over to me, I work at a vet clinic, and yes my vet would treat his leg and give him the help he needs. If you can't then we will have to talk you though it and you would have to post pics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't get to williamsburg. I might be able to post some pics. I have him resting in the dark right now to help him adjust, he is covered and has fresh water. I will post more later.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Williamsburg is half way, Im close to Richmond. both the rehabs are a good 6 hours or more from him. hope he changes his mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts