Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:hi people new to this looking for good advice please our white hommer was cairing for her new borns for 1 week when we noticed she wasnt rite she would go to the corner of the coop and ruffle up also has severe diohrea we brung her inside and the cock looked after the young . she has lost alot of wait and is still eating and drinking but isnt getting better she wont fly and still has the runs and when we put her in the coop for a trial run the other pigeons attack her so she is back in doors we have treeted her with colimune in the water and old hands white sesqui for going light but still no change she has no fat atoll we are in scotland and dont know if weather is an issue all advice is aprecated thanx

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Where are you located and what meds do you have on hand, this information will be helpful in making suggestions for you. Is taking her to a vet an option?

Karyn

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi

hi we are in scotland we have tryed vets and they dont deal with these birds we take them to the local person that deals with these and he has gave us the medicines listed in our comment but now we are stuck and need help thank you

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
hi we are in scotland we have tryed vets and they dont deal with these birds we take them to the local person that deals with these and he has gave us the medicines listed in our comment but now we are stuck and need help thank you
I had never heard of the products you are using before today. The Colimune you mention, some up as Polyclonal Antibodies given to dairy cattle to help with E. Coli infections and the Old Hands White Sesqui you mention contains Sodium Sesquicarbonate, which is used in things like baths salts and to reduce alkalinity, which is what I would imagine it is being used for with pigeons, to tune things in the bird's system to a very alkaline state to prevent the growth of pathogens.

Although the vets you mentions might not treat birds, they would I imagine have on hand a few meds which could be of use, as the same meds would be used for other small animals, such as cats and dogs. Do you think it would be possible to not have the vet treat this little one, but prescribe some meds for her?

I am going to ask Quazar to have a look in on your thread (he's in Scotland) he may have a few suggests as well.

Karyn

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Hi, WH,
where exactly in Scotland are you ?
I wouldnt imagine the weather should affect the bird as long as the loft is waterproofed and windproofed well (There has been a lot of serious flooding in Northern parts recently). If water or dampness is getting in, I would have thought it would affect other birds as well although It may just be slightly weaker from bringing up the young.
Other birds do tend to shun or attack a bird if it is sick or injured so definately keep it inside in a cage or box in a darkened quiet room.
If you could place a heating pad half under the box (so that it can move to a cooler part if it wants) that will help the bird conserve some energy to fight off whatever it is till we can at least figure out what is wrong.
Is it still eating and drinking as much as it normally would ?
If so and it is still losing weight I would tend to think worms ?
I dont know that much about medicines for birds (apart from what is mentioned in these forums) , but have never heard of the things you mention.
Who or what exactly is this person that gave you them?
Can you post a few pics of the bird, and good close up in focus pics of the poops.
Karyn is one of the best to give advice on meds etc, and certainly If you could get any from a vet she would be able to give you dosages etc.
I know there are certainly very few vets who have any clue or idea about how to treat pigeons here.
I would also keep a close eye on the young ones, if the mother has been feeding them, its possible someting could be passed on.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
WH, as Quazar has mentions, it could be worms, and was one of the three things that came to mind for me, as well as it could be a few kinds of infections. Will wait for your reply about a vet, as the meds requires to treat your little one will need to come from a vet. In case I am not around, please see if you could get two meds one is called Trimethoprim/Sulfa (aka Cotrimoxazole, Septra, Bactrim), tell the vet 50mg/kg BID for 10 days, the other is Metronidazole (aka Flagyl), 50mg/kg BID for 7 days, if she does not respond to the meds, you should start to see improvement in about 48 hours, check to see if the vet has Ivermectin 1% on hand to give her a de-worming treatment. In my personal opinion what you are treating with will not be effective for what is ailing her. There have been a good number of birds displaying similar symptoms as you mention cured with the meds I suggested you should try and obtain.

Good luck,

Karyn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts