Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are my baby American Fantails that I am hand raising - they were abandoned by mom, and dad is a "player"!
Poppy (on the left) is definitely 3 colors and partial saddle.
Black head and chest, white back and flight feathers, black and white tail, reddish brown wing covets (? not sure of correct term).
Background - Mom is Dun. She mated with a black and was sitting on a single baby (blue check) from that breeding. She abandoned that baby at 2 weeks old and started a new nest (black dad stayed with baby for a couple days then left also, so I had to finish hand raising #1 baby)
Mom layed 2 eggs in the new nest and black dad never joined her to help. She hatched both eggs and took care of them for 5 days, then abandoned them!
So now I'm not sure if Black cock is the father, or if she mated with one of my Red saddles :confused:
I'm hoping Poppy is mosaic! Can the genetic experts help me out?!

*Sorry for the poor picture quality - my camera is not good with close-ups

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Bodymarked Genes

No you do not have an MOSAIC. The fantail gene pool is loaded with a large amont of different color and pattern genes, I have in front of me the Jan/Feb.2006 issue of the Purebred Pigeon, Fantails was the breed of the issue.There is an artical on a project "BODYMARK FANTAIL PROJECT" by Rick Stokes. Bodymarked birds have a colored body and a white tail,since this artical was written other breeders of fantails got into the project and I believe that you got a bird that has the bobymarked genes from this project, so don't feed bad about not having a Mosaic in fact consider your self lucky that you may have a bird that is carring the bodymark genes.I also beelieve that there could be pied genes at work here and pied genes are differcult to work with.GEORGE;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts