Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of my young chicks, who is only about 12 days old, he has angel wings, is there anything I can do to fix it? many thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
I looked up angel wing. It is caused when the blood feathers are coming in and they are too heavy for the wrist bones of the wing to hold them up, as the bone is cartilagenous in squeakers. In this condition the wing ends turn outward into what is known as angel wing. As the bone calcifies, it becomes stronger and the feathers become lighter as blood is withdrawn from the shaft as they stop growing. The problem is almost always self correcting in pigeons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of my young chickens had wings like that when she started feathering in...had me very concerned and I spent hours researching it.....she ended up being perfectly fine without any assistance, seems they were just a little too heavy for awhile! Hope your baby grows out of it too!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks a lot for the video. I will try my best to sort it out. #

I know some chicks will grow out of it, however, I have seen adult birds with angel wings in other loft, thus I can not gambel on it..

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mine is indian fantail, it is first time happened in my loft... however, I have seen 2 adult indian fantails of my friends who had angelwings, as normally indian do not fly very well, so it does not affect them, however it does look ugly, so you can not show them anymore

1 - 10 of 10 Posts