Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, i know that there are multiple threads on this subject, but I need some info on rehabbing birds. This one I found, seemed normal at first so i left him in a dark place with some water and birdseed for a few hours.
The next day, I checked again and none of the food had been eaten. Evidently, some water had been taken, though.
His "leavings" were firm, though today they deteriorated slightly and bacame watery and less formed. His keel bone is prominent, though to a lesser extent than what i've seen with most of the threads i have been looking at.
I know that I should get him some medication, but I can't right now since i'm at work. I left my sister (still in uni) to take care of him, so that if he is in a really bad condition she can tell me.
Incidentally, this is a young bird (makes strange grunting noises when i approach it) and it is currently housed in an "abandoned" cage which used to house a 'tiel. It is cube in shape and approx. 15x15 cm. Water and food are in small yellow (just thought i'd mention, perhaps if the bowls were seethrough the bird could see the food beter ?)
Sorry for bringing this up again, but i'm really worried about him.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I am sure you will hear this from multiple members but:
You need to either get him to a Vet as soon as you can (first thing in the morning?),
or post your location so we can try and hook you up with a local fancier or rehabber who can.

Depending on the type of grunting, he may be young or they may be out of fear (pigeons often grunt at things they are unfamiliar with, like a dog barking).

You are so kind for taking this little one in, but it is very important that he get the care he needs - and it sounds like if he's not eating and is thin that he needs to be seen by a vet right away. Best of luck to you and your little pidge!!
:)

Kari Jo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
replying to questions

i don't think that it will be much help, but i am located in nsw, Australia. i can give specific details if somebeody is willing to help. reading the threads on helping pijjies, i have noticed that quite a few members are located in America, so i am not exactly optimistic.
my local vet hates pijjies. perhaps the RSPCA would be a better choice?
do you think that the cage is a little small? i also own 'tiels in a larger aviary, but have a few slightly larger cages (they are higher than wide and have only a few sticks placed steeply upward).
do you think that this bird has some kind of disease, or is it just "thin"? i could get some antibiotics if that is preferable. Incidentally, i did the "smell test" and he REALLY STINKS. a bit like that fishy smell i read about on some other thread (can't remember which, sorry). i checked for dehydration but he is okay, i'm just worried about if he is still being fed by his parents. there's only a little bit of yellow fluff on his legs, but his beak is pink. his eyes (i'm not sure if this is any indication) are still a little bit brown, but also a little yellow. it stays on the floor of the cage (this, i am guessing, is a bad sign- when my 'tiels were ill once, a lot of them stayed on the floor like this pij and some died even).
he still pecks me when i check on his (it is so CUTE).
I got a text from my sister, apparently she's checking this website too. should i try to handfeed this bird? or should i give it a peanut?????

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
The RSPCA won't help a pigeon, at least not a feral. Thye might if it were one of your native crested pigeons.

Check inside his beak, being very gentle when opening, to see if his mouth is pink and clear or if there is any odd-looking yellowish substance.

You can feed young pigeons by hand with thawed out frozen (not tinned) peas and corn. Pop each bit into the mouth back towards the right side (the pigeon's right). Still make sure he has a pot of food, though, like dove food, mixed corn or even (temporarily) wild bird mix.

Standing on floor is perfectly normal. Pigeons usually like to perch on flat things when in a cage, like a shelf or brick.

The cage is pretty small. Birds should be able to extend their wings. But while he is being checked out and getting initial care, should be OK.

Ensure no injuries - scrapes, small wounds, too.

John

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Please get him in a bigger cage if possible. A 15 cm x 15 cm x 15 cm cube is only 5,9 inches on a side. (You probably entered the wrong data as to size).

I've used laundry baskets turned upside-down, (add a weight on top if you have cats) or with a towel over them if the bird can't fly well and needs a bit of peace and quiet. I have even used the bathtub for non-flying birds while I retrieved the pet-carrier from the basement storeroom.

They need to stretch frequently (from which I think our yoga positions or asanas derive).

Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts