Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Maybe someone here knows what's wrong?

One of my feral friends has head and neck feathers in very bad condition (see picture below).

I thought first she was moulting but it is lasting for several months now and the patches of damaged feathers seem to spread slowly... I cannot tell if the feathers fall or if they are only damaged...

1- feather lice? mites? something else?
2- what medicine can I put in the food to help? Moxidectin Plus for example? she does not drink at my window nor would I be able to catch her to put something on her body, she is too wild...
3- is it contagious to other birds and which way?

She doesn't seem to have other symptoms (no noticeable scratching...) but I would be happy if she could look better...
thanks for sharing your experience!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Pretty bird. Could have bird lice or mites. Someone here may have advicefor treatment. Thank you for helping her!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I came across an injured pigeon that had a lot of plucked feathers as well.
I washed it in a diluted hibiclens solution ( had some scabbing and open wounds i had to clean)

then sprayed with a bird lice & mites spray and gently rubbed into feathers.

I inspected the areas where i could see a lot of lice or mites (idk which it is) and literally seen almost all of them dead.

Since this one you posted is feral I would imagine it would be hard to get your hands on, but maybe you get the spray and sneak some sprays onto it to help it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I am wondering if this is due to feather lice or mite/scab/acariasis (not sure this is the good translation)? there is no wound nor completely bare skin.
I've search the forum and read that the head and neck are good places for lice because these areas cannot be reached by the bird..
I have at home Moxidectin Plus (against worms and all external parasites), but they advise to put the product in the drinking water. Does anybody know if I can put it on the food? or if there is a specific reason why it has to be put in water?
By the way, I've read that this medicine shoud not be given to birds who are currently feeding their babies...
It is not the case of Blackie, but it would be useful to know....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The more I read, the more I doubt...

If this is due to feather lice, I am wondering if it would be any use to give her medication to swallow. Lice are not blood suckers, as far as I could understand, so would Moxidectin Plus have any effect on them? does the product go into the feathers? I doubt...
I wait until I found the right information and other advices. Better do nothing than harming! She is not in immediate danger...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anybody else have an idea?
Should I put Moxidectin Plus on the food? or could this be harmful?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I put 0.25 ml (individual dosage for a 400g adult pigeon) pure Moxidectin Plus (dosage designed for pigeons) on her food (today party menu: smashed peanuts;)) she ate happily every single crumb out of the dish without noticing anything... I think she got a bit less of the medicine as it is very liquid and the peanuts don't really absorb it but she doesn't weigh 400 g, so it will balance the right dosage and she won't have overdose.

I hope it will help her stop loosing all her feathers and there are no unpleasant or harmful side effects.

I could not find accurate information on the dangers of the product.
I've read here and there it should never be given:
  • by very hot weather (but not explaining why)
  • to squabs or feeding parents (dangerous for the squabs)

Now wait and see.... I will keep you updated in case it can help someone else...
Normally I should give her a second treatment in 12 days (cycle of external parasites) but it will depend of course of how she reacts...
If anybody here has some knowledge, please do not hesitate to share!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts