Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Enro will also take time to work, potentially weeks before you see anything, but I dont fault you for euthanizing them as they can't be having any sort of satisfactory life with that neurological issue. It was just caught too late and unfortunately we cant save them all. I don't remember if you have a flock, but I would vaccinate all of your birds for salmonella now that you have had this bird to make sure no one else gets that bad if they get it at all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for understanding, everyone is saying don't euthanise, don't euthanise, but I can't keep them, they don't get along, (I tried them together and they fought), and they have no life compared to what they had. I don't think taking a feral bird and keeping it is right, unless it can have other pigeons in with it, but that's just my opinion. I don't have a flock myself, but around 100 birds visit daily, several times. Vaccination is not possible- I'd have to catch every bird that comes, and that's just not doable. Nor is it affordable. These are feral rescues whom I removed from the wild flocks - there's still one I haven't managed to catch (haven't seen it the last week, either). I've had one for a month, no improvements, slight worsening, and the other 3 weeks, and is neurological most of the time. I'll ask at Sydney Pigeon Lovers and see if anyone will take them but other than that, I agree, I think they've been got too late and I think euthanasia is kinder at this point. I've tried everything I can and even if they do recover, everything I've read on all the forums is that they don't recover 100%, or they relapse. That won't work for a bird in the wild and I don't think keeping them as pets now is right, either, that's unfair, too. If they'd been lost homing pigeons I'd be more in favour of them being kept, but not wild ones, I've taken them from their flock and their mates and put in a small cage (they can see each other, but that's about it). Cruelty can happen with kind intentions.

Enro will also take time to work, potentially weeks before you see anything, but I dont fault you for euthanizing them as they can't be having any sort of satisfactory life with that neurological issue. It was just caught too late and unfortunately we cant save them all. I don't remember if you have a flock, but I would vaccinate all of your birds for salmonella now that you have had this bird to make sure no one else gets that bad if they get it at all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You will know what is best for them and what decision to make. No one will judge you for that. xx
Hey Marina, quick update. Due to my having to nurse one of my rats almost full time, I haven't had time to deal with the two PMV pigeons, so basically they've sat in their cages and had seed and water thrown at them and that's about it. I did try and find a home for them and two potenials came up, but no dice. So the one I've had the longest, probably 8 weeks now, has started to recover. No longer staggering when eating seed. So I've let him out to see if he can fly. He can only fly very short distances, up from one cage onto another. I let him out for several hours every day so he can free roam the room (it's very small, its a laundry alcove) but this seems to be ok by him. He can come in an out of his cage a he pleases. Feathers everywhere! The other is still upside down head bird so can't be let out. It's only because of my critically ill rat that I have not had a chance to take them anywhere or euthanase them that I've seen some recovery in the first bird. But not enough to release, he can't fly upward enough. My rat is still sick and on palliative care and as long as that remains, the birds are not going to the vet, I don't have time or energy. So perhaps they can recover fully, I don't know. But certainly there's been an improvement. Just thought you might like to know I haven't killed them yet!

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
That's great to hear! Maybe just a little bit more time. I guess when you release them back into the flock, you will see them again to make sure they are ok.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If they can be released. That's the big question at the moment. Certainly the first one has improved a lot. Once he's back in the flock though it would be hard to recognise, he's standard grey/purple/green, nothing really unique. The brown one is a little more interesting in colouring but that one I haven't even let out the cage yet. Not until he holds his head up correctly, poor bird. So if they are released, it will be hard to tell them apart from the others. I'll update you in a few weeks it may take a little while for this bird to fly properly.
That's great to hear! Maybe just a little bit more time. I guess when you release them back into the flock, you will see them again to make sure they are ok.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
You can always mark them with a small dot of white acrylic paint on the breast. Won't last forever, but at least you will recognize them for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I did similiar with one bird, I have coloured pet dye that sprays on (I don't spray it I spray into a lid then dab on with paintbrush, I would not aim a spray-can at a small animal!)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts