Pigeon-Talk banner

PMV: now you see it, now you don't

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Alamo 
#1 ·
Extracts from a study of West Nile Virus, recorded on the CDC website:

In 2002/2003, we conducted a serologic study on WNV exposure rates of rock pigeons from a single locale adjacent to metropolitan Atlanta.
Of 269 birds tested for virus isolation, 11 (4.1%) were viremic.
Although the effects of WNV coinfection with most microbes and parasites remains unknown, antibodies to PPMV-1 were detected in 68% of the birds tested
At first, I found that surprising since pigeons badly impaired from PMV would be unlikely to survive long unaided, but then I recalled a couple of references to the effect that pigeons which demonstrate the neurological symptoms are just the tip of the 'PMV iceberg'. Many more do not, and the only signs may be watery droppings and excessive thirst, from the effect on the kidneys.

Evidently they had been exposed to the virus but it had either not affected the brain or had insufficient effect to interfere with their activities. Whether it affected the kidneys in these cases, or their systems were successful in warding off the virus almost completely is anyone's guess.

When I take in a bird from my balcony who has PMV, I half expect to find more. Although I found three in ten days in the summer of 2008, it's usually just one case in several months. I've often wondered about that, but maybe what came out of that study is one possible explanation. That I don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/eid/vol10no12/04-0511.htm

John

See less See more
#5 ·
I beleive my birds, (2009) birds only have had this since January 1st or so...Have had the droppings analized twice...Have given them 4 different kinds of meds to help...The hens seem to have taken this problem harder then the cocks...I have had two hens get the neck twisting action..One hen is back to normal..The other I had to put down..I tried for two months to cure them..I finally gave up...All the old birds droppings(2008) and older,have all been normal..The 2009 birds have been either greenish with or without water...The funny thing is,there is no visible sign of trouble,except for the two birds that DID have the twisting neck action,or the bad droppings...When let out to fly,it was not uncommon for them to fly for an hour or more...Their feet are clean,the eyes are bright,the nose wattles white,the sheen on their necks are beautifull,and they eat like pigs...They fight for their nest box(Cocks) and don`t stop cooing and trying to get to the hens...The hens are the same way in the YB section trying to get into the cock section...3 days ago I opened the door and let them get together..I was allmost knocked to the floor by the hens flying into the OB section where the cocks are...I been in this hobby since 1984...I have had pigeons when I was a kid...I should know what sick birds should look and act like....But these birds don`t look or act sick...When I openened the window for all of them to get out and fly,the SNAPING of the wings tips coming out the window was so loud,and the speed of all of them was amazing...They were in all their glory..They were together with the hens,and visa versa...All is well with the mentallity part of this loft...This next sentence will blow your mind...The droppings got better with the birds being together for three days...I seperated them on the 4th day..The hens droppings returned to what I would call louzy looking again..Beats me !!
Now let me tell you the reason they these 2009 birds got this prpblem...I took in 3 gift birds,and purchased 2 birds..I did not quarenteen them...So as you can see,my YB`s from 2009 did not have enough contact with this new BUG !!,and they came down with it...The old birds are imnune,and it did no harm...It took me a few weeks to realize this fact...Their droppings were good..The droppings of the 5 NEW birds to my loft were VG,including the two 2009 hens I purchased...But one or more of these birds was a carrier of the germs....Whether they have PMV or the Nile virus,or whatever,medication did no good...It might have kepted them from death,but it did not cure anything...So I stopped giving them meds or anything a few weeks ago...I will let it play out..The strong will survive.....
The last couple of years,I started a med`s program while racing the yb`s...In a way,I think it helps some,and in some ways,it`s not good....The YB`s will and can build up more imunity, if the loft mgr will let them fight off the bugs on their own...My old birds get nothing...They can build their imunity to various germs by being strong,and well cared for in their loft at home...Well cared for with natural products etc...Not medication...I only medicate only when it is a must..Other then that,I leave them alone...
Hope everyone else here has better things to write about,then what I had to...Alamo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.