Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am a new pigeon owner, and I welcomed my 5 week old fancy pigeon, Rocky to my home. He appeared to be doing well and adapting to his new environment in a positive manner. I then started noticing how his head started to lean a little to one side. The next couple days, all of a sudden, BOOM. He lost control of his body and neck, and started freaking out. I was so shocked, scared, and confused as to what was going on- I literally thought we was dying.

Right now, I am providing assisted care to my pigeon. I'm making sure that he eats his food and drinks his water. Keeping him warm, etc.

My question is if this is the PMV virus or salmonella? What are the major symptoms and differences from this bacterial and viral infection? If he is already infected with PMV or Salmonella, will a vaccine be effective at this point?

Again, I am very new to pigeons, so I will welcome all the advice I can get!! His poops look slightly different in that it's looking a little smaller. Other than that, he is laying his head to to floor and is extremely lethargic and tired.

Thank you in advance!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi! I am brand new to rescuing sick pigeons, but I have a little one with a serious case of salmonella and doesn’t behave in the same way at all so I’m going to take a guess that it’s PMV - there are so many amazing experienced people on here I’m sure you’ll get confirmation soon! Just wanted to reply because I remember when I first posted about Xena (baby snuggles and her pox) i was anxiously waiting for a reply! X i hope you get to the bottom of this and get some help, from what I have read PMV is highly contagious so if you have other birds make sure they aren’t together!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! I am brand new to rescuing sick pigeons, but I have a little one with a serious case of salmonella and doesn’t behave in the same way at all so I’m going to take a guess that it’s PMV - there are so many amazing experienced people on here I’m sure you’ll get confirmation soon! Just wanted to reply because I remember when I first posted about Xena (baby snuggles and her pox) i was anxiously waiting for a reply! X i hope you get to the bottom of this and get some help, from what I have read PMV is highly contagious so if you have other birds make sure they aren’t together!
Thank you so much for your kind words and assurance! My little baby is the only pigeon I have, so he is staying quarantined away from other birds. I'm looking forward to a healthy recovery for him!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
A lack of vitamins and calcium can also cause neurological symptoms. Is he keen on trying to eat by himself? It will help if you put the seeds in a deep dish. He will make a mess, but it will be so much easier if he is able to eat. Try to get some vitamins (esp vit B) and liquid calcium with added Vit D3, this might make a difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A lack of vitamins and calcium can also cause neurological symptoms. Is he keen on trying to eat by himself? It will help if you put the seeds in a deep dish. He will make a mess, but it will be so much easier if he is able to eat. Try to get some vitamins (esp vit B) and liquid calcium with added Vit D3, this might make a difference.
Thank you for your reply, I have been supplementing him with grit and a liquid multi-vitamin and putting it on his fresh corn and peas. He is showing improvement, but I noticed that he has not been eating enough on his own. I've been making sure to force feed him at this time so that he has enough calories and nutrition! His poops look healthy, but still showing neurological symptoms. It has almost been a full month, I can't wait for my pigeon's full recovery!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How’s he doing?
Much better, but still has neurological symptoms! He has been attempting to fly- which I see as a sign of improvement... but ends up tumbling on the floor. Poor little guy, but the good news is that he has been more lively, and has been putting his head down less frequently! Thank you so much for asking!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Gosh he’s so so so pretty! My friend in the UK who’s been helping me recommending a regimen of vitamins and supplements to make sure she is getting all she needs - if you’re interested at all I’m happy to share! Also sunflower hearts (no husks) because birds with PMV need very nutritious food and lots of stuff available is husky! Not sure what you feed him?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gosh he’s so so so pretty! My friend in the UK who’s been helping me recommending a regimen of vitamins and supplements to make sure she is getting all she needs - if you’re interested at all I’m happy to share! Also sunflower hearts (no husks) because birds with PMV need very nutritious food and lots of stuff available is husky! Not sure what you feed him?
Yes please do share! I will greatly appreciate that! So will my lil' Rocky :D Thank you so much! I feed him pigeon feed with the mix of grains, peas, corn, etc. along with grit. I also feed him thawed out peas and corn. I make sure to sprinkle some of the multi-vitamin liquid over the food.

·
Registered
315 Posts
these are all the supplements I mix in the drinking water for Cher (my PMV bird) and in the formula for Xena (my pox survivor).. i also use b12 and milk thistle. The sunflower hearts have made a big difference with Cher, she seems to love them and has put on a little weight.
How long do you think rocky has had the symptoms?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
these are all the supplements I mix in the drinking water for Cher (my PMV bird) and in the formula for Xena (my pox survivor).. i also use b12 and milk thistle. The sunflower hearts have made a big difference with Cher, she seems to love them and has put on a little weight.
How long do you think rocky has had the symptoms?
Oh wow! Thank you so much for the recommendations and the photos! I will definitely look into getting them! I'll buy some sunflower hearts as well <3 Rock has had his symptoms for almost a month now! I know that your post will help so many others as well. I really appreciate all your help!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I’m grateful to the rehabber who’s helping me, so just paying it forward! Hope rocky feels better soon, keep me updated once in a while!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Oh awesome! My battery just died but will find you once I log in! I post about Xena often on my instagram too, @mehndikajoeyhenna (only on my stories).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts