1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody,

I'm new here.

Last november we found a young PMV
pigeon on our balcony. He (well, I said "he" but we don't really know his sex...anyway, we named him Goliabianca) also had some nodules inside his mouth. Vet confirmed PMV and gave him medicine (marbocyl). We removed the nodules using betadine solution for a few weeks (the problem is now totally solved).

He is still alive: he can drink by himself but can't eat (we have to hand feed him).
He can't fly but walks around the room (even if sometimes he turns in circle). His neck doesn't fall on a side but sometimes he has head tilting.

He uses to watch at us with curiosity. He is so lovely..Sometimes, while we pass near him, he gets angry and says: "huu huu huu"..

We have others rescued pigeons so we are keeping him isolated in a warm room and we maintain scrupulous hygiene.

My vet told me he that will be contagious for all his life but I read on the forum that the virus runs its course within 6 weeks from infection. Can someone confirm me that after about 2/3 months Goliabianca won't spread the virus to others pigeons? I'd like to put him in a room with a gentle couple (can they share the same water?) because I think that this could help him to improve: what do you think about?

I'd like to help him stimulating his brain: what can I do? How can I help him?

Thanks a lot from me, Goliabianca and the others feathered guys of the gang!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello everybody,

I'm new here.

Last november we found a young PMV
pigeon on our balcony. He (well, I said "he" but we don't really know his sex...anyway, we named him Goliabianca) had also any nodules in his mouth. Vet confirmed PMV and gave him medicine (marbocyl). We removed the nodules using betadine solution for a few weeks (the problem is now totally solved).

He is still alive: he can drink by himself but can't eat (we have to feed him by hand).
He can't fly but walk around the room (even if sometimes he turns in circle). His neck doesn't fall on a side but sometimes he has head tilting.

He uses to watch at us with curiosity. He is so lovely..Sometimes, while we pass near him, he gets angry and says: "huu huu huu"..

We have others rescued pigeons so we kept him isolated in a warm room and we maintain scrupulous hygiene.

My vet told me he will be contagious for all his life but I read on the forum that the virus runs its course within 6 weeks from infection. Can someone confirm me that after about 2/3 months Goliabianca won't spread the virus to others pigeons? I'd like to put him in a room with a gentle couple (can they share the same water?) because I think that can help him to improve: what do you think about?

I'd like to help him stimulate his brain: what can I do? How can I help him?

Thanks a lot from me, Goliabianca and the others feathered guys of the gang!!!
Thank you for rescuing this bird.
He will not be contagious for his whole life.

An infected pigeon stops shedding the virus after 6 weeks. You can do 12 weeks just in case.

Yes you can put him other pigeons but only after he has stopped shedding the virus. Once the virus is gone your other birds are in no danger of getting it.

His nervous system will heal slowly by itself. I have a pigeon who was severely disabled by P.M.V. but after supportive care he can now eat and hangs out with my other pigeons.

To give him company of other pigeons would be a good idea. Just make sure the other pigeons don't pick on him. The healthy pigeons tend to pick on the disabled ones.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Agree with Dotty, by now he won't be contagious any more. Just give him time to recover. It took my PMV pigeon 7 months before she could fly again. The company of other pigeons will do him well. Hopefully when he sees them eating, he will start trying by himself. You can put the food in a deep seed dish, he will make a mess but might be able to figure out a way to feed himself.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot Dotty and Marina B!

You gave me good news; I'm very happy to know that yours PMV pigeons are now better. I really hope too that Goliabianca's nervous system will slowly improve.

So I'm going to put him (probably at the end of February) in a room with a gentle couple (I have others rescued or disabled pigeons but this is my first PMV pigeon: I have a pigeon, Marshall, who had a nervous system disease but my vet said it was no PMV. Now he is ok, he is 98% like a normal pigeon, I post his photo) and I'm going to put the food in a deep feed dish.

Dotty, could you please tell me something about supportive care? I'm used to give vitamins and apple cider vinegar (twice a week). Do you think that I should give him grit or mineral salt too? Or it could be dangerous (because we have to hand feed him)?

Thank you again for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks a lot Dotty and Marina B!

You gave me good news; I'm very happy to know that yours PMV pigeons are now better. I really hope too Goliabianca's nervous system will slowly improve.

So I'm going to put him (probably at the end of February) in a room with a gentle couple (I have others rescued or disabled pigeons but this is my first PMV pigeon: I have a pigeon, Marshall, who had a nervous system disease but my vet said it was no PMV. Now he is ok, he is 98% like a normal pigeon, I post his photo) and I'm going to put the food in a deep feed dish.

Dotty, could you please tell me something about supportive care? I use to give vitamins and two days each week water with apple cider vinegar. Do you think could I give him grit or mineral salt too? Or, feeding by hand, it could be dangerous?

Thank you again for your help!
Yes grit is fine and it helps pigeons with digestion. You can feed him by hand or use a deep dish. But he might miss while aiming so better in a deep dish.

Supportive care-
Food- good pigeon mix with +calcium+ vitamins and grit.
For grit you put a separate dish filled with it. Don't mix with the food.

Treats to help with weight - unsalted peanuts and some white bread

Probotics- give him a small amount of yogurt everyday. Garlic caps you can also give but not everyday. It helps with the birds health. Also continue with with giving him apple cinder. Apple cinder helps pigeons with ph of the crop.

Other info- You can put him on a heater or hot water bottle covered with a towel.

Don't worry too much =) ! Your bird will recover soon. He will start eating by herself and flapping his wings ( coordination will improve in a few months). I have 3 P.M.V birds and they all are happy right now. When I first got them they were weak but now they are fine.

You have a such a pretty pigeon :D. I have a bird with similar coloring but she is smaller and is blind in one eye. If you have any more questions feel free to ask =).

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot for your advices!

I am used to give to all my pigeons grit, mineral salt, cuttlebone and apple cider vinegar but I have never heard about yogurt: that's a good idea! How can I give it to him? Using what? Can I give it to others pigeons? I have too two pigeons blind in one eye and one, Geordi, blind in both eyes (he was born blind: my vet gave him to me when he was a little baby. No one wanted him because of his blindness...).He is a little bit delicate: do you think yogurt can help him?
I have never used garlic: I read that someone put cloves of garlic in water but I have never tried it because I don't know quantity of water and garlic...do you know it? What do you mean with garlic caps?

Marshall thanks you!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks a lot for your advices!

I use to give to all my pigeons grit, mineral salt, cuttlebone and apple cider vinegar but I have never heard about yogurt: that's a good idea! How can I give it to him? Using what? Can I give it to others pigeons? Me too, I have two pigeons blind in one eye and one, Geordi, blind in both eyes (he was born blind: my vet gave him to me when he was a little baby. No one wants him because of his blindness...).He is a little bit delicate: do you think yogurt can help him?
I have never used garlic: I read that someone put cloves of garlic in water but I have never tried it because I don't know quantity of water and garlic...do you know it? What do you mean with garlic caps?

Marshall thanks you ?!!!
You just smear it on your finger and out some in their mouth. Yes you can give yogurt to other birds too. Preferably Plain greek yogurt.

Yes, yogurt helps in the production of healthy gut bacteria. It would be good for Geordi.

Or you can just probiotic powder for them.

Garlic capsules( small ones ). You can get some from a pharmacy.

For garlic cloves-1 clove to 2.5 litres of water twice a week

You can also use garlic powder( make sure it only has garlic). You put a small amount in the food and spread it evenly.

Geordi is a lucky bird to have found a kind person like you =).

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot!!! You are very kind :)

So next week I will try garlic water (in the weekend I am used to give apple cider vinegar).
I also will try Greek yogurt: I will start giving it to Goliabianca and Geordi.

Geordi is a very sweet and lovely bird: I keep him always with me...I am lucky to have found him :) Your birds are too lucky birds!!!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You have been given good advice. Let us know how he is doing as time goes by.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi!

following Dotty's advice, today I have started to give yogurt to Goliabianca and Geordi: it's not too easy but I'm sure I will do better with time...!!!

About Goliabianca, I have thought it's better to give him step by step company of others pigeons (than suddenly put him and leave him in a room with them). So this is my idea: wait still 2/3 weeks from today (to give him time to recover) then start to put him 2/3 hours each day in a room with a gentle couple. I will stay in the room with him because I want to be sure that no one pick on him (I will be his bodyguard :) ). What do you think about?

About his nervous system, there are no news but, I know, you told me it will heal slowly.

Yesterday I saw my vet: he told me again a PMV pigeon will be contagious for all his life because he has become a carrier. He said that there could be a virus latency. I don't know what to do: do you think I have to find a new vet for all my pigeons (but it's hard to find a vet who accept to visit and help pigeon)? Or maybe he has just no experience with PMV pigeon?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi!

following Dotty's advice, today I have started to give yogurt to Goliabianca and Geordi: it's not too easy but I'm sure I will do better with time...!!!

About Goliabianca, I have thought it's better to give him step by step company of others pigeons (than suddenly put him and leave him in a room with them). So this is my idea: wait still 2/3 weeks from today (to give him time to recover) then start to put him 2/3 hours each day in a room with a gentle couple. I will stay in the room with him because I want to be sure that no one pick on him (I will be his bodyguard :) ). What do you think about?

About his nervous system, there are no news but, I know, you told me it will heal slowly.

Yesterday I saw my vet: he told me again a PMV pigeon will be contagious for all his life because he has become a carrier. He said that there could be a virus latency. I don't know what to do: do you think I have to find a new vet for all my pigeons (but it's hard to find a vet who accept to visit and help pigeon)? Or maybe he has just no experience in PMV pigeon?

Thanks!!!

That sounds like a good plan for Goliabianca =). Its been a total of 6 weeks for Goliabianca since he got P.M.V ? Forgive my memory!

Yes don't worry too much about healing it will happen it time =).

As it has been said after six weeks the birds stop shedding the virus. Its gone and it no longer infects other birds. Only thing that remain are the nervous systems effects that will slowly heal by itself.

Could be he just doesn't know about P.M.V. How is he on other things regarding treating pigeons ? Is his advice helpful and does he give proper treatment ? Is he a proper avian vet ? If he doesn't have much experience or the info is mostly wrong better to find another vet if you can. Most dog and cats vets don't know how to treat birds and pigeons.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi Dotty!

I found him in November so, yes, its a total of 6 weeks since he got PMV.

My vet is a proper avian vet (he loves birds: he has some birds in his clinic too) even if he treats also dogs and cats. He is very good in surgery: he operated with success Apple my broken wing pigeon (she can't fly but she can do small flights: for exemple from the floor to the table) and others of my pigeons.

Well, I can say he has saved all my pigeons who needed surgery but talking about ill pigeons most of them died (with a very big pain for me as you can imagine). For that reason I am very worried about Goliabianca: probably my vet has no experience with PMV so its advice is no helpful (in fact he told me again to isolate Goliabianca in a different room for all his life because he has become a carrier).
Regarding proper treatment: talking about surgery yes; talking about illness I don't know..

I really don't know if it's better to find a new vet at least for ill pigeons. It's very hard to find a vet who wants to help pigeons and who has any experience with them (I had many bad experiences with vets: 3 years ago a vet refused to visit a pigeon, Cappuccino, who had nodules into his mouth and so couldn't eat. She asked me: "Is it a dove?" When I told "No, it's a pigeon" she said that she didn't want to help him. He died the day after. Every time I lost a pigeon my heart broke).

I wrote a lot: forgive me..

You are all very kind, thanks a lot :)...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi Dotty!

I found him in November so, yes, its a total of 6 weeks since he got PMV.

My vet is a proper avian vet (he loves birds: he has some birds in his veterinarian office too) even if he treats also dogs and cats. He is very good in surgery: he operated with success Apple my broken wing pigeon (she can't fly but she can do any small flights: for exemple from floor to table) and others of my pigeons.

Well, I can say he has saved all my pigeons who needed surgery but concerning ill pigeons most of them died (with a very big pain for me as you can imagine). For that reason I am very worried about Goliabianca: probably my vet has no experience in PMV so its advice is no helpful (in fact he told me again to isolate Goliabianca in a different room for all his life because he has become a carrier).
Concerning proper treatment: talking about surgery yes; talking about illness I don't know..

I really don't know if it's better to find a new vet at least for ill pigeons. It's very hard to find a vet who wants to help pigeons and who has any experience with them (I had many bad experiences with vet: 3 years ago a vet refused to visit a pigeon, Cappuccino, who had nodules in his mouth and so couldn't eat. She asked me: "Is it a dove?" When I told "No, it's a pigeon" she said that she didn't want to help him. He died the day after. Every time I lost a pigeon my heart broke).

I wrote a lot: forgive me..

You are all very kind, thanks a lot :)...
Doesn't sound like he is a bad vet. You can go to him regarding surgery.
But for illness treatment not such a good idea if he isn't that experienced regarding it.

Just wondering if he would analyze things like the poop to see if there is an illness(salmonella,e coli) or take swab from throat to see if its canker or pox ?

If he is willing to do that then that good. Treatment for illness is not has complicated as thought as long as medication is available. The hard part is the diagnosis cause you need to know what your treating for.

So keep his contact for surgery and see if if does proper lab tests to check for illness.

I understand, I had the same such experience =(.

Vet charged me so much and gave wrong treatment then the bird died.Since then I don't trust many vets either.

Such a shame ,someone who loves animals shouldn't shun one type of animal.
All living things should be treated with respect. I am sorry for your losses =(.

I am going to help you find medications you should have with you in case of illness =). I will send you a private message!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot Dotty, I will send you a private message too. You are really very kind!

My vet doesn't have his own lab so he doesn't do any lab tests. Regarding diagnosis he just visits pigeons: for example he looks into their mouth/throat or touches their crop. What do you think about?

You are right, that's really a shame but unfortunately here lots of people (and vet too) hate pigeons. I have many bad experiences and stories to tell...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks a lot Dotty, I will send you a private message too. You are really very kind!

My vet doesn't have his own lab so he doesn't do any lab tests. For diagnosis cause he just visits pigeons: for example he looks in their mouth/throat or taste their crop. What do you think about?

You are right, that's really a shame but unfortunately here lots of people (and vet too) hate pigeons. I have many bad experiences and stories to tell...

Thanks again!

If its possible can you try to find a vet who does diagnostic tests in labs? One that is an also avian vet too ?

You just need to provide sample of the birds poop or the culture in the crop/throat. The vet will look through a microscope and identify what it is.

Keep your old vet too for surgery though.

Here is some advice when you go to vets. Always say the bird is your pet and never leave them alone with bird unless their trustworthy. Cause they tend to euthanize them.

Pigeons are just as sweet and smart as any other animal ! Its mostly the pest control's fault for saying pigeon spread diseases and are vermin. Those are all lies they say in order to make money. Sadly some people are gullible enough to believe it. You are more likely to get sick from a wild animal like cat/dog/racoon than a pigeon.

Don't worry now things will be better =). Now you know what to have in case bird gets ill.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I don't know if it's possible to find an avian vet who has his own lab too (I had a lot of difficulty to find my current vet..).

Anyway, you are right, I am going to keep my current vet for surgery and I will try to find a new avian vet with its own lab for illness (I have a different vet for my cat: she has her own lab but she doesn't treat pigeons). I will update you.

I know, unfortunately many vet tendsto euthanize them...your advice is very good.

Yes, I think too all these lies are said to make money. But I think too these lies are told to divert attention from the real problems existing in our cities...

Yes, you are right, it's easier to get a disease from a cat, dog, etc. (my grandpa, who had pigeons, got an infection from his cat Zeus...but he never got a disease from pigeons).

Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't know if it's possible to find an avian vet who has his own lab too (I had a lot of difficulty to find my actually vet..).

Anyway, you are right, I keep my actually vet for surgery and I will try to find a new avian vet with its own lab for illness (I have a different vet for my cat: she has her own lab but she doesn't treat pigeons). I will update you.

I know, unfortunately many vet tend to euthanize them...your advice is very good.

Yes, I think too all these lies are said to make money. But I think too these lies are told to divert attention from the real problems existing in our cities...

Yes, you are right, it's easier to get sick from a cat, dog, etc. (my grandpa, who had pigeons, got an infection from his cat Zeus...but he never got sick from pigeons).

Thanks again! :)

Were is your location in Italy?

I will try to find some avian vets in your area.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Update about Goliabianca (I post his photo):

He has started to flap his wings but he couldn't get up from floor (just about 5 cm): it was a horizontal "flight" (like a train...).

Each time I open the door he tries to go out from his room: I think he is very curious so he would like to "escape" from his room!

He drinks always a lot so his poop is watery: is it a normal thing for a PMV pigeon?

You are very kind Dotty! I'm Italian but now I live in France (in the south est of France, region PACA). In fact my current vet is french. I sent you a private message.

A member (I don't remember his name) sent me a private message: I couldn't read it because of loading problem. If he/she wants to contact me, please write me again.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Drinking a lot is a symptom of canker or Cocci.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts