Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
When I found him he had some nodules into his mouth: we removed them using betadine solution for about 2/3 weeks. My vet told me the problem was completely solved. Now I'm worried: maybe my vet was wrong?
Later when I will feed him I will look into his mouth.
Tomorrow I will send you a photo of his poop.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Drinking a lot is also quite common in PMV pigeons simply because the kidneys are affected by the virus. This can be permanent.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
When I found him he had some nodules in his mouth: we removed them using betadine solution for about 2/3 weeks. My vet told me the problem was completely solved. Now I'm worried: maybe my vet was wrong?
Later when I will feed him I will look in his mouth.
Tomorrow I will send you a photo of his poop.
What did the vet tell you was causing the nodules in his mouth?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks John D. I remember I read that a PMV pigeon drinks more than a sane pigeon and that extra water pass right through him (so his poop is watery). Your post reassure me a little bit.

I post three photos of Goliabianca's poop (one is not a good photo because of the floor, sorry). I just want to say that his poop is not always the same: sometimes is more watery, sometimes less watery.

Anyway, I looked in his mouth/throat and I didn't see any yellow nodules; it doesn't smell wrong.

My vet told me maybe nodules have been passed by his parents.

So, what do you think about?

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If nodules are past from parents, that means canker generally.
And you cannot always see canker in the throat.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My vet told me nodules were just in his mouth (as I told you I removed them using a betadine solution): he touched his crop and didn't feel anything; he also looked inside him and didn't see anything (I hope he was no wrong...).

Goliabianca looks active (he walks a lot in his room, flaps his wings, etc).

Sorry if I'm too short in my answer but it's a terrible day (please read my new thread)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
My vet told me nodules were just in his mouth (as I told you I removed them using a betadine solution): he touched his crop and didn't feel anything; he also looked inside him and didn't see anything (I hope he was no wrong...).

Goliabianca looks active (he walks a lot in his room, flaps his wings, etc).

Sorry if I'm too short in my answer but it's a terrible day (please read my new thread)
Your vet can't know that. He isn't going to feel them in the crop. Canker is canker. The nodules are a symptom of the canker and mean that he should be treated for it.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You are very kind Jay to be worried about Goliabianca, my PMV pigeon.

Each time I bring a pigeon to my vet for a visit he uses to touch his crop and his throat to feel nodules; he also uses to watch inside the bird (sorry but I don't remember the name of the tool he uses to look inside: anyway he inserts it inside the bird's throat) to look for yellow stuff.

Yes, I know, canker (in organ form) can also attack internal organs.
Maybe my pigeon had just a pharyngeal form and now he is ok? He took for a period an antibiotic (my vet gave it for PMV): MARBOCYL P. He has finished his treatment about at the end of December 2016.

Anyway, he looks active and has normal weight.

What do you think about?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Canker is caused when the trich level goes up. Removing the nodules doesn't bring down the trich level which is causing it. You check for canker with a throat swab, not a scope. The bird can have canker without the throat nodules. He should have been treated with Metronidazole or something that treats canker. When you do see nodules, you treat for canker, you don't remove the nodules. Canker is probably the most common of pigeon disease, and also very easy to treat. You really need to look it up and read more on it. And on the other pigeon diseases. Then you will have a better idea of what to do when you see different symptoms. Do not just jump on one thing you read, because many things can present with some of the same symptoms. Your vet isn't very good on pigeons, but I give up.
I'm only trying to help, but not going to argue with you. You keep asking for opinions, but then argue against them. Hope your bird gets better.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It wasn't my intention to argue with you, I'm sorry about my language.

Of course, I really appreciate your help and your advices.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Antibiotics will not help PMV...it is a virus not a bacteria.
Nodules in mouth would be canker. Excessive drinking is a symptom of canker.
Removing seen nodules with betadine will not cure the problem. Needs proper meds to cure the birds entire system of it.
REcommend new vet, and listening to JAy

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Hi all, I just realized that I never updated my thread so I'm going to do that now. My experience could maybe help someone else.

Unfortunately Goliabianca never recovered in a proper way from his neurological symptoms. He still can't fly and can't eat on his own. He drinks and baths on his own.
Even if he can't interact in a normal way with the other pigeons (he doesn't have a wife) he lives with them without any problem. He is very friendly with us.

It's very important to not change his daily routine and habits because that is a source of stress. Just for example, replacing his bowl with a different one or the person who hand feed him with another member of the family disorients him.

He did not have canker or any other disease like some members suggested. Watery droppings and drinking too much water were related to PMV. After some months (I am sorry but I don't remember exactly after how many months) the problem was fixed (he drinks like any other pigeon and his poops are perfect 👌😁). During that period we monthly treated him with a very good probiotics supplement (it contains B-glucans and mannan oligosaccharides, I suggest to look for a product similar to it because it is very helpful) and a plant based supplement called oxycox. I think that they both helped him.
Here you can see the composition of the probiotics, I regularly give it to all my birds :

Since we rescued him I have learned many things about PMV and generally about pigeons (also thanks to this wonderful community 😊!). Surely I still have a lot to learn! But I want to say that after Goliabianca we rescued other two PMV pigeons. I cared about them on my own (I gave them all the needed supportive care) and I did not give them any antibiotic (PMV is a virus, not a bacteria, so antibiotics are not helpful unless there is a secondary infection). At that time we trusted the vet and gave him an antibiotic treatment...Well, surely the vet is not an expert in PMV... He also told me that my pigeon Marshall didn't have PMV but honestly I think he had it. This year he had the symptoms back in a very severe way (they were worse than in 2014). For a whole week he had horrible seizures, they looked like epileptic fits.
I suggest to all members who are caring about a PMV pigeon to adopt him or to look for a family for him. My three PMV pigeons (Marshall included) all have a happy and normal pigeon life but Marshall easily gets in panic and sometimes lands in a bad way; Angus "Top Gun" sometimes "looks at stars" and starts to walk back and forth. I think that they would not survive for a long time in the wild...
Also life in the wild is obviously very stressful and stress could increase the risk of having the symptoms back.

As I talked about supplements I want to add that recently I found in an agricultural supply store excellent plant based products. The liver supplement (Avi digest) contains, among the ingredients, artichokes (even my mum is used to get a herbal tea containing artichokes and she is very satisfied by it). He did wonders with my pigeon Londo: she got a horrible infection (a viral or a bacterial infection) and she nearly died. She drank tons of water and had extremely watery droppings (her poops looked like a cat pee... ). Even when she started to eat again seeds the situation was the same. I tried that supplement and finally she stopped to drink like a crazy, her poops became normal and she also got her appetite back. I suggest to you all to look for something similar to it. You could regularly give it to all your birds and use it even in case of health issues.
I attach some pics even of the other supplement Avi cox: it helps the intestinal balance, I have tried it and it is very good too.

Last but not least, as I mentioned Betadine in the thread, I want to say that here I explained everything about povidone iodine method (over the years I have learned many things even about canker, experience is an excellent teacher as well as readings):

That's all!

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts