Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I noticed a very young pigeon (with feathers, but quite young, standing on the side of the parking lot at my work place.
I quickly grabbed him before he was hit by a car, and put him in a box until I could go home with him a few hours later.
He was doing the exorcist thing with his head.
Either swinging it like a tetherball on a rope, or it was upside down.
I made a squab bottle with a small juice glass, and I cut a non latex dish washing glove into a circle larger than the top of the juice glass, secured it on the top of the glass with a rubber band, and made a beak width slit in the glove fashioned into that juice glass topper.
This is the PERFECT pigeon bottle.
I made him a nutrition formula out of Kaytee baby bird formula, Yakult pro biotic beverage, Vanilla Ensure, and baby food green veggies.
A friend gave me a natural home remedy he makes for pigeons to get rid of parasites. There is apple cider vinegar, garlic, tumeric, I believe honey and other things.
"Stinky Butt" quickly gained weight and got rid of his worms.
I learned that in the case of my birds to wrap them in white feed sack style dish towels like a little burrito, secure with tape, careful to avoid skin or feathers, and loose under tail but in a way that its secure to catch the poop, and secured with tape.
Not too tight, but secure to avoid escape. And never over the head or face.
I then would prop the bird so it is seated comfortably with towels propping the bird so that the head is up and comfortable and positioned so that the bird will not choke on vomit if it throws up.
I also had hand towels as both blankets and props.
This greatly reduces stress
The bird can't spin, fall, dangle the head, get stuck or hurt.
I kept my bird in either an aquarium or small cage.
I did both
Covered 3/4 of the cage with a dark colored towel.
Kept him in my bathroom which was,kept at 78° F.
I changed the feed sack towel diaper 3 times a day.
Washed his butt with a mild liquid soap and dried him with paper towels..
The tail feathers were trimmed far away from the base of the tail to make cleaning easier as well as wrapping. It was more sanitary and easier to clean.
I made sure that the vent was clean. I used A and D ointment because of the diarrhea. His butt looked red and sore in the beginning.
After a month of this kind of daily care and 2 to 3 feedings and cleanings, he is now 90% recovered.
He's learning to self feed. No feed sack diaper, props, or tape.
Assisted water breaks.
He's a little chunk.
Now I have found a young adult with PMV.
I am doing everything the same as the baby, except for the feedings.
He refuses a squad bottle.
I have been struggling with syringe feeding. And do it so carefully.
I feed peas as well but have no idea as to how many to feed a young standard sized pigeon in a day.
Or how many feedings.
What are formula balls?
How do I make them?
How big and how many?
How do I get him to drink?
The baby is doing great.
I am really hoping that the adult will make it.
Thank you for reading this.
Sorry it is so long.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
You can make formula balls by mixing the Kaytee with a little bit of water so that it forms a soft clay consistency. Then make small pea size balls to feed to him. They need a lot of water when getting fed balls, so maybe you can give half balls and half peas at each feeding. After feeding, dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water.

An adult pigeon needs 150 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 50 each. Start by giving him 40 peas/ balls at each feeding. If you have a digital scale, weigh him every second morning on an empty crop to make sure he is not losing weight.

PMV is highly contageous. So first tend to the healthy baby and then the sick one. Keep good higiene after handling him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can make formula balls by mixing the Kaytee with a little bit of water so that it forms a soft clay consistency. Then make small pea size balls to feed to him. They need a lot of water when getting fed balls, so maybe you can give half balls and half peas at each feeding. After feeding, dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water.

An adult pigeon needs 150 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 50 each. Start by giving him 40 peas/ balls at each feeding. If you have a digital scale, weigh him every second morning on an empty crop to make sure he is not losing weight.

PMV is highly contageous. So first tend to the healthy baby and then the sick one. Keep good higiene after handling him.
I head right into the shower every time I handle him and wash my clothes immediately.
I am so afraid of spreading it.
I keep the PMV birds in a bathroom I don't use for anything else and keep it at 80° F
I made the Kaytee baby bird formula balls and divided that feeding with his peas.
He is starting to trust me and its getting easier to feed, clean, and wrap him.
The baby's head still goes upside down when he is excited.
It's a miracle that this baby can walk and spends a lot of time preening.
And has been eating Pigeon and Dove millet seeds, and drinking supervised well.
Soon I will step the baby up to the Purina Checker Green pigeon kibbles when I think he is swallowing normal and a little bigger.
Does PMV stunt growth?
He's probably 3 months old and still is very small.
Hes a little fattie so I know he's eating plenty, but he is so tiny for this age.
He's 3 months and still looks like a little squeaker.
He can't squeak, but tries to.
He makes excited little grunts when I am feeding or visiting him.
Can PMV effect the vocal cords?
I live within an hour of Mexico. I wonder if I can get the PMV vaccine down there.
It's,been pretty scary.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Do you think he has difficulty swallowing? Can you take a flashlight and check deep inside the back of the throat for unusual yellow or whitish growths?

Don't worry about vaccinating him. Too late once they have PMV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is swallowing fine. I am taking my time and I push his throat if I think there is any trouble.
I have 10 birds who have never been sick and 2 PMV birds so I want to get shots for the other ones.
I am one of the people in my town who help the local ferals so I want to keep everyone safe
I cycle putting diatenaceous earth in the water of the ferals and my homebirds water and I put acv in the water.
The latest flock looks puny at my new job.
I am feeding them a good diet
It makes me sad and angry finding dead birds
Often deliberately hit by cars
I pick them up and give them a respectful burial.
The ones by my work have had pronounced keels
My co workers said that in the summer they were dying from the desert heat and no water.
I can't figure out why they would have put out water and helped dogs but the brain doesn't engage in these people that pigeons need water too 😪
I have not been there long enough to see any major results yet.
How long should I quarantine the pmv birds?
The baby has been kept apart for 6 weeks so far and looks good except for the occasional exorcist head.
Thank you for replying to ne
We are newbies to the medical end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts