Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, picked up a guy that was acting drunk, falling down, and tipsy everywhere.
I DONT have charcoal, and i dont know what to do? Boston is a graveyard on sundays, nothing is open!
WHAT CAN I DO? WHAT IS THIS?

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
I DONT have charcoal, and i dont know what to do? Boston is a graveyard on sundays, nothing is open!
Moxie, activated charcoal can be purchased at the drugstore. The drugstores are open Sundays in Boston, call in your area.

Also, sometimes a sick and dehydrated bird can appear to be drunk in that
they can stagger around.

fp

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
It could be a number of things Moxie.
Poison, starvation/dehydration, a concussion & the list can go on.

First & foremost you need to get the bird stabilized. Here's the link to the thread that will help you do that.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=8822

He needs to be on heat for about 20 minutes or so to help him regain & maintain his body temperture.

Here are a few things to check:
Is his mouth free of obstruction? Is his keel (breast) bone sharp? Is he vomiting? If so, what is he vomiting? What do his droppings look like, if there are any?

Let us know who things are going.

Cindy

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Cindy, i happened to just talk to Pidgey, and talked these things over, to keep you keep you updated, i just got the bird about an hour ago, his keel bone seems fine, he hasnt pooped, his mouth is free of obstruction, and he was eating when i caught him, just acting drunk. i just called every pharmacy around, and they all dont sell it anymore, i'm on my way to home depot, they might have it, wish me luck!

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
i KNOW the drugstores are open sundays, i meant like health food stores!
They usually are, Moxie, I know Whole Foods is open and some others, but
it still might be better to get activated charcoal at a drugstore like Walgreens.
It may not be what is indicated though, I'd go through the steps that Cindy
outlined and hopefully you will narrow things down.

fp

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, he just pooped, it's grass green/white urates. the home depot is an hour away, by bus or bicycle, so i'm out...

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
ok, he just pooped, it's grass green/white urates. the home depot is an hour away, by bus or bicycle, so i'm out...

Moxie, if you're thinking of getting charcoal brickettes, many of them these days have chemicals added to them, something for you to think about.

fp

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
It just happened that Friday night I received a dove with much of the same symptoms you are describing, plus right leg paralysis.
My thoughts were PMV, head trauma or poisoning. Today the bird is standind, walking, eating and pooping great.

I didn't put him on heat, in case it was head trauma, but I kept him comfortably warm, by wrapping his cage in a blanket and putting a think towel at the bottom of the cage. I gave 10% of his weight Pedialyte and added some calcium to it. I also gave metacam. At some point I thought I was loosing him, he seemed to get worse and was laying down with the wings spread out. An hour later he was sitting up. An hour later I gave 5 more cc's of Pedialyte and let him be for the night. Next day he was better and is improving since. So, my guess is he had a concussion. I didn't think he was dehydrated as he looked good and well nourished and he was quite alert even agitated.
I am not saying this is what your bird has, but by hydrating and keeping him comfortable you can't go wrong. Also you can add calcium and an antiinflammatory and see how it goes.

Reti

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi Moxie,

Do not try and use Charcoal Briquettes, since they themselves would poison the Bird.

Does the Bird have any smell to them? Their Body or their breath?

If so, would you describe?

Do not let them drink...absolutely do not let them drink anything for today.

If they had eaten Poison Seeds, letting them drink will be their death sentence.

How full is their Crop, and what do the Seeds feel like? Do they feel like large kernals of Corn?

Are the Bird's eyes of an appropriate dialaiton for the ambient light?

Is the Bird panting? Frenetic? Trembleing? Over-exicited? Javing siezures?

Ostensible intoxications can result from causes other than 'poisoning' in the sense of the Bird eating Poisoned Seeds...

It can result from Yeast infections, or food poisoning in a conventional sense of it, to where the Bird appears 'drunk' or in a stupor.

Has the Bird thrown up anything? and are you keeping them in such a way to where you can tell if they do?

Best wishes...

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I didn't put him on heat, in case it was head trauma, but I kept him comfortably warm, by wrapping his cage in a blanket and putting a think towel at the bottom of the cage.

Reti
You may want to go with Reti's suggestion, Moxie, with regard to the heat. I, personally, have never had any problems, but the possibility of head trauma vs. heat is worthy of consideration.

Cindy

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
You may want to go with Reti's suggestion, Moxie, with regard to the heat. I, personally, have never had any problems, but the possibility of head trauma vs. heat is worthy of consideration.

Cindy

My vet's clinic has printed out an emergency brochure for birds and it states, heating pad for everything (illness, poisoning, injuries on the body etc) except for head trauma. The thing is, when we find them how do we know if they have it or not. By keeping them warm without a heating pad, I found it helps and I had no problems with any of them.

Reti

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, and NO, i wasnt getting charcoal briquettes! he he he, that would be funny! I'm afraid now, with all the recent excitement, you guys will NEVER give me any credit again! ;)
ok, i happened to stop into a little tiny pharmacy, and they had something called "charco caps dietary supplement activated charcoal," but the pharmacist said if i am using it for poison it wont work, and it says on the bottle not to use it for that, but it IS activated charcoal. serving size 2 caps is 520 mg of activated charcoal.
Phil, i'm going to go check the bird more to answer some of your questions, BRB

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Moxie, who manufactures the product that you purchased at Walgreen's?

fp

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, i just talked to Phil, because he had soo many darn questions! he he he!! but really, he had a few, and he thinks it is because he is in starvation mode, which seems right as this guy has grass green poops. i am going to feed him, and see what happens...

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
ok, i just talked to Phil, because he had soo many darn questions! he he he!! but really, he had a few, and he thinks it is because he is in starvation mode, which seems right as this guy has grass green poops. i am going to feed him, and see what happens...
Moxie, if the bird is in starvation mode, you should give the bird some IRS first
before beginning food. That would be a pinch of both sugar and salt in a cup
of warmish water dissolved and dribbled alongside of the beak. If this has already happened, very small amounts of food at first.

fp

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Moxie and Pidgey, (and others)

I'm about to hit the sack, taking a quick look-see, saw this thread, haven't skim-read more than first few posts,

but, when I had diarrhea in 1983, on week-end before I picked up charcoal tablets at pharmacy here in Cologne, I tried an old home remedy taught me by my mom:

Burnt flour

take some flour, burn it in frying pan (iron skillet, probably should stay away from Teflon). It will turn dark brown slowly. I never made it absolutely black.

It works to absorb acid.

Take this for what it's worth, if anything.

Larry

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Larry,

Humans+diarhea=ground capped cinnamon/PO=no diarhea :)

fp

Moxie and Pidgey, (and others)

I'm about to hit the sack, taking a quick look-see, saw this thread, haven't skim-read more than first few posts,

but, when I had diarrhea in 1983, on week-end before I picked up charcoal tablets at pharmacy here in Cologne, I tried an old home remedy taught me by my mom:

Burnt flour

take some flour, burn it in frying pan (iron skillet, probably should stay away from Teflon). It will turn dark brown slowly. I never made it absolutely black.

It works to absorb acid.

Take this for what it's worth, if anything.

Larry

1 - 20 of 133 Posts