Pigeon-Talk banner

Poisoned Feral Pigeons - The Story Begins !

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Dima 
#1 · (Edited)
Some members maybe familiar with a recent post by me in the " sick & injured " after finding poisoned pigeons which were unconcious and dying ........I rescued 12 birds from the surrounding streets and was able to nurse 10 back to health . I was successful in saving 10 - 1 will require more intensive care and remains with me ......I lost 2 birds

The press have become involved and the story is already on the internet , it will go to print media next wednesday .

For those that were interested , here is the internet story !

RESIDENTS are reporting large numbers of pigeons found lying dead around Birkenhead and Port Adelaide.

Birkenhead resident Lynlee Smart contacted the Portside Messenger about a "mass killing of pigeons" in the area last weekend.

"I went shopping last Saturday (September 1) and found two poisoned pigeons on my street," she said.

"They were sitting on the middle of the road and on the footpath. They were alive, but they were stunned and couldn't move."

Ms Smart took the birds to her neighbour Darren , who keeps pigeons as pets and suspected they had been poisoned.

After investigating, Darren said he found "pigeons falling from the sky ... in numbers I have not seen before".

He said he found more than 30 dead birds near the Birkenhead Tavern, the bottom of the Birkenhead Bridge, Fletcher Rd and the Diver Derrick Bridge on September 1 and 2.

Darren also found 10 sick birds and took them home to nurse back to health with a hydrating solution, along with the two pigeons from Ms Smart.

Of these, eight recovered and were released, while two died and another two were still at his house needing further care.

"I had a dozen of them in my living room, but the great thing was I was able to reverse the effects of the poison," Darren said.

"But it must break little kids' hearts to see birds flapping and dying a horrible death."

Darren was also concerned about the "flow-on effect" to native birds that might digest the poisoned carcasses.

Ms Smart was concerned about fellow residents and children finding dying pigeons and the potential for domestic pets to eat the birds and be poisoned.

"Some people think they are pests and are glad to see the end of them, but I'm sure a lot of people ... would be outraged," Ms Smart said.

The cause of the pigeons' illnesses has not been determined. The Portside Messenger is contacting the Environment Protection Authority and Environment Department about the issue.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd like to point out that there is a comment page where if you feel outraged with some of the vexatious and ill informed morons leaving comments , you can have your say and I encourage you to do so

#4 ·
O gee, I read them. Sorry Darren but as much as I would love to comment I do not think me saying you fing idiots is going to help. There is no educating people like that, you cannot teach people compassion, They either have it or they don't and the majority of the comments come from people that DON'T IMO. GRRRR

#9 · (Edited)
Update

Today I was sent a text message informing me that the story of the poisoned pigeons along with my picture was in this states daily newspaper . In that story it states that the government of South Australia will not be investigating because they are not a native or protected species :(

Earlier this evening after going to the local supermarket I picked up a copy of the local news paper only to find my picture and the story yet again on the front page........The story in this paper says that " The Enviroment & Protection Authority does not require the owners of premises to contact the department , however it does recommend they take advice from accredited pest contollers .........LOL -what a joke !.... I think we all know what that means .

So the South Australian Government and the Enviroment Protection Authority are ingnorant and effectively wearing blinkers on the matter if they think that native or protected bird species are not affected by mass poisoning and I certainly wouldn't trust a pest controller accredited or not as far as I could throw them .

So in all it is a bit disappointing , however the print media have been very , very supportive running the story on the internet , in the cities major newspaper and also the local print media ........the pigeons have had their case well covered and my only hope is that perhaps some people that have read the story might think a little different next time they see a pigeon in the sky or on the side walk and what they are up against .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.