Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so my pigons have started mating and building their nests....But what i'v noticed lately is that their poop is rather HUGE! like i'v never seen them that big...even in homing pigeon poop. And coming out of a small birmingham roller....its crazy!

Is this normal??

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It's normal when they have been sitting on the nest for long periods of time, and have therefore been holding it. When they get off the nest that's what they do.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its crazy though its so huge!, and only like 2 of them have eggs and they barely sit on the eggs. Other wise all of them dont even sit on the nest.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's the only reason I can think of.

·
Registered
253 Posts
One of the first things I was told when I started raising pigeons was when you see the poop that big it's a sign they're getting ready to lay eggs. So that's what I've always believed.

Walter

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well iono if its the healthy kind of poop, its rather...gooyie? very slimy. I feed them daily now and water almost every 3 hours because they spill it. I think this may of caused the poop. But its time to breed and they need food all the time.

Okay another problem has occured :(

One has laid its egg but not on the hay i left in there for them. They laid it right on the wood and seems like they aren't laying on it. Its spring but its cold! yet they dont sit on it. Im worried if im doing something wrong. Or its not fertilized.....

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They don't normally sit on it until they lay the second egg. They just kinda guard it. It's better that way. If they sit on it right away, it will hatch much sooner than the second egg, and the baby would have quite a head start on the second baby. Makes it harder on the little one. Some will sit on the first egg though.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You'll see that they will sit on them after the second one is layed. Then try to get near them! LOL.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hahahaha! yeah i cant wait then :p. So now all the rollers have paired up. I have 4 pairs now. i just hope they dont abandon the egg...i hate to toss eggs :(.

say if i have to take the eggs out because they aren't incubating it? Will they try again and hatch more? because it is spring and its mating time.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
hahahaha! yeah i cant wait then :p. So now all the rollers have paired up. I have 4 pairs now. i just hope they dont abandon the egg...i hate to toss eggs :(.

say if i have to take the eggs out because they aren't incubating it? Will they try again and hatch more? because it is spring and its mating time.
Why are you worried about having to take them out because of not being incubated? Why wouldn't they incubate them?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
But they only have one egg don't they?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah only one egg :( and just found that the other pair on top shelf pushed their egg off and it shaddered...:( there all going emo....

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm sorry you lost the egg. Have the other pair with the one egg had the second one yet?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
hmmm even I am having a bit unlucky time, two eggs of my pair didnt hatch, so I gave them one baby from another pair to foster which hatched a day before abandoning the eggs. Yesterday the pair laid an egg, they might have started mating before I transferred the baby :(

Are you still expecting a second egg from your pair or have they settled and started their incubation ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts