Pigeon-Talk banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Given that I didn't think that a discussion of the mating habits of pigeons would be prohibited on this forum, the terms I used to describe PoopZilla's behavoir seemed both accurate and appropriate to me - at least before I understood that they could be considered distasteful by some readers.

As for the subject itself, it should be clear to anyone who's ever actually lived with a pigeon, that what I've described is real: it actually happens, and since it was the first time it ever happened to me, it took me by surprise. I was not inventing a story to titillate (this is a non-sexual word, by the way) or otherwise pander to anyone's prurient interests.

It was a real post, describing a real situation, using expressions which I would not have imagined as being objectionable - even if they lacked the precision and 'neutrality' of a purely clinical description.

Lesson learned: in the future, I'll be a lot more careful about what I say here, and how I say it.

My apologies to those whose feathers have been ruffled by the presence of sexuallly-oriented ideas and language in my description of Mr. PoopZilla's reproductive instincts and behavoir. If there seems to be a contradiction in terms there, it's because there is. But in the interests of peace on the forum, I'll leave it at that.

I would like to add his apologies as well, but it appears that he can't quite understand what all the fuss is about.

And I don't have the heart to try to explain it to him.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Matt...It's ryannon's style of writing and sense of humor that makes it so funny to many of us. Probably more funny to those of us that have a house pigeons that for lack of options has chosen a human for a mate or in this case... a human foot.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
I was wondering how you all could continue to see humor in something as infantile as this... If you can find a 14 year old that thinks a stork brings babies... well there either retarted or extremely sheltered. I have been pairing up pigeons scince I was 3. This is nothing new to me, I was wondering what type of gratification you get from talking about "this"?

Actually, I was talking about "that", not "this".

But you don't seem to get that, so this idiotic exchange is the result.

Too bad (meaning 'it's a pity').

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Oh, What a waste of time this is, you are right. Didn't realize I was arguing with a frenchman.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Im just going to stop now and be the bigger person. This is not the purpose of pigeon talk to take personal attacks at each other. We are here because we obviously both love pigeons. So lets stop being idiots and go back to doing what we need to be doing. So you can continue to fight with me but I will be ignoring this thread.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Since you asked ryannon,

.....I don't know if it violates the rules of this forum....I just think it violates the rules of good taste....but in today's world, there are few rules requiring people to demonstrate good taste or breeding (no pun intended)....if someone has to ask, then it's a good bet they have no idea why some consider these comments crude and lacking class....because they lack these qualities, and you further demonstrate that by becoming aggressive towards those who point out this deficiency. So this is my take anyway since you asked....

I asked for your opinion as to the forum rules, not your own projections concerning what you imagine to be my background and breeding. As for the question of taste, it's clear that you've little tolerance for any that's not similar to your own. Your whole ad hominem attack is neatly tied up by a double-bind at the end: any attempt to justify my position or defend myself is seen as an agressive reaction.

Nice try, but hardly credible.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why hasn't this thread been closed?

I can trash talk just as good as the next guy nothing shocks me but there's a time and place for everything. Pigeons.com is a public forum with minors on site if you feel a strange need to get into details about your pigeons love life try using the star key. I'm sure we can figure it out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
It's strange that out of the hundreds of words and dozens of ideas that have been expressed in this thread, a few people can see no further than what they deem to be a handful of offensive phrases. :confused:

Not only that, but they seem to have failed to notice the the subject of the thread has totally changed into an innocuous discussion which has nothing to do with the initial topic. A rather odd moment to let your feelings be known, but I suppose the pressure has been building up.... :eek:

'Trash-talk' indeed: perhaps it's time to get your own minds out of the gutter and let those of us who want to communicate peacefully, do so - in peace, within the boundaries of the forum rules, and without having to carry the burden of your somewhat limited conceptions of life and language. :(

Have a nice one, and thanks for your input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
'Trash-talk' indeed: perhaps it's time to get your own minds out of the gutter and let those of us who want to communicate peacefully, do so - in peace, and without the burden of your somewhat limited conception of life and language. :(
Wow, my first read thread on this forum and it's ending full of acrimony. And for what? A bit of pigeon insides-outsides.

Have we forgotten the age-old saying, "the birds and the bees?" Don't let Seinfeld have the last word! (Again)

Ryanon, to get this thread back on track, may I suggest whatever is the pigeon equivalent of the Japanese ladies' night succour:

The Boyfriend Pillow

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Ryannon,

You can get you and your pigeon one of those "The Boyfriend Pillow". Maybe you can find one with feet.
You might want to get some scotchgaurd.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi ryannon,

Didja have a chance to see the little Videos on 'Jessica' and, the 'Python'? ( I posted some little ways back...)

Or, as they used to say in the old 'Westerns' -

"Meanwhile...back-at-the-Ranch..."

This is a good Thread...and it has good spin offs...and it is fun and silly and true.

Like anything in Life, it may not be for everyone...

And thats fine...of course...

Best wishes...

Phil
l v

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Hey Phil,

Those vids are extraordinary: Hippo love is....well, just overwhelming.

The python somewhat less so: I'm not sure I'd want that fellow crawling around my place - at least with the hippo, you can hear him coming :eek:

But the affection that dangerous animals can show to humans is a never-ending source of amazement to me: you can really feel that 'little' hippo's heart going out to his human friends - and the images of him bunking out under the blanket are too touching...

I once saw something similar concerning some native Africans who had adopted a baby hippo - after they had hunted and killed its mother, unfortunately. The little baby was as affectionate as a puppy, and the African guys were playing with it exactly as if it were....before having it for the next day's lunch, I fear.

Our generation may be nearly the last to see elephants, hippos, rhinos and the big cats outside of a zoo - or possibly anywhere at all: they're going fast.

Which of us finishes first is an interesting question: humans are foolish to imagine that we're not all in the same boat, so to speak, and that what we do unto others - animals included - won't come back on us like a boomerang.

Nice to hear from you at this particular moment, and take care yourself: I've heard that Vegas can be a tough room as well. :D

Best,

Jonathan and PoopZilla

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi J & P,

Well...bear in mind there is quite a range of possibilitys amid individual Reptiles, as for their sense of who is who, who is 'them' who is part-of-them viscerally...as in this instance, the Python was raised from a little Baby in that home, and he wanted to BE in that home and among that family...the father even had put it 'back' into the Jungle several times, and it kept coming back...so, the Python chose them...

Still, if one is in our position, it does seem a little iffy on the nerves...since we are approaching it 'cold' as it were, where for them it is part of a continuity.

'Jessica', once she is older, and mates, and has a Baby of her own...

I would not want to be a 'stranger' walking up, when her and her Baby are lolling in the Sunshine or grazing Dog Kibble or as may be...

Oh boy...you'd better be a very agile sprinter if you did..!

But, she is part of the 'pod' which consists of the people, the Dogs and so on, so I am certain she will be fine for them to play with the Baby and watch the Baby and so on, since it is all their 'Baby' in effect...

As well as she is a member of the Hippo Pod down River, and she'd introduce her Baby to them in due course too...

Anyone else, look out..!

You know, like if you ever see any Bear Cubs, it is already too late..!

And you'd better high tail it out of there, and fast...

Phil
l v

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Little chance of encountering bear cubs in Paris, although I do know a guy in Alaska (member on another forum) who's very much into the great outdoors and knows a lot about what walks around on four feet up there...his advice is to avoid anything bear, whether it be cub or adult.

Speaking of Las Vegas, there's the story of poor Sigmund (or was it Roy?) and the (ex)-best friend albino lion that turned on him after twenty or so years of purring at his feet like a kitten.

Only shows that you can never take these guys for granted (same as people)...

I don't know if you ever get out of town, or what type of fauna you can encounter in the high country of Nevada (I presume that there's a High Country in Nevada, as there is in New Mexico)...or in the deserts...or maybe right in town, after all.

Wasn't there a story about coyotes wandering through the streets from time to time? Or was it wolves...or bears....or....?

I've been meaning to ask you a question, Phil, and I hope you'll forgive me for broaching it in public: I read a recent book about pigeons (I've forgotten the title, but many people here have certainly read it - it got excellent reviews and was largely pigeon-friendly) but I do remember that one the people the author interviewed was this guy living...was it in Las Vegas?...with a house full of pigeons....a kind of Extreme Pigeon Freak....who left the author, who had already met his share, sort of, well, shaken by the experience...:D :D :D

Anyway, was this guy you?

Whether it was or wasn't doesn't have much importance to me, but my mind keeps straying back to the book, telling me that there's a connection....

(Do you think that someone is going to complain about this thread having gone off topic?) :rolleyes:

Best,

Jonathan

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Little chance of encountering bear cubs in Paris, although I do know a guy in Alaska (member on another forum) who's very much into the great outdoors and knows a lot about what walks around on four feet up there...his advice is to avoid anything bear, whether it be cub or adult.
Hi Jonathan,

This seems to be the consensus about Bears...and especially so, when Momma-and-Cubs are concerned...

Moose also, all in all...similarly...Moose will attack Dogs and Dog Sleds, imagining them to be 'Wolves', with people geting knocked caboose-over-teakettle of course in the frackas...as well as that Moose can take offense to being pestered or starteled or surprised, of course...anyway, Moose are considered very 'dangerous' Creatures to be in the proximity of...

Speaking of Las Vegas, there's the story of poor Sigmund (or was it Roy?) and the (ex)-best friend albino lion that turned on him after twenty or so years of purring at his feet like a kitten.

Only shows that you can never take these guys for granted (same as people)...

Seigfreid ( and Roy ) ...

I did not personally like these guys...I had met them, been in their Home, this from my days of being a Technical Carpenter, and some Interior Designer schmuck wanted me to come over and look at some prospective projects/work...

But, far as I know, they were very good to, and good with their Big Cats.

Now, what I heard had happenned was that some fat women in the front rows wearing wierd Hats were sort of moving around and waving or something, half standing to wave, the young White Tiger saw them, looked hard, and decided they were a threat...

The Cat's reaction was to get Seigfreid the heck out of there, and Seigfreid was not quick enough on the uptake, so the Cat tried to carry him off, ( and did cary him off ) as it would carry a Tiger 'Cub', by the Neck...by the extra skin of the Neck...only poor Seigfried ( who likely weighed 140 pounds soaking wet ) did not have much for extra skin on his neck, and, the Cat's Eye-Teeth did not entirely manage to grasp his neck properly anyway, and one of the Teeth punched the guys skull, so...

Seigfried got hurt...

Or was it 'Roy'???

Whichever one it was...

But, the long and short of it was, as I heard it, the insider dope supposedly, as it were...was that the Cat being young, inexperienced, naive and BIG, was none the less trying to protect Seigfried, did not know quite what to do, and it just went badly.

In this regard, they were lucky the Cat did not instead launch into the Audience and ravage or maul the Women in the 'Hats' who had caused the alarm or startle...

Not saying that large Animanls should be taken with complaisency or naive optimism...but, it is not clear that this instance was other than the Cat meaning well, but not knowing how to deal with the situation better.

I'd feel safer, myself...with a Hippo like 'Jessica' ( so long as I was introduced by her family ) than I would being around a Big Cat...especially if no one else was around.

One thing is sure far as I know - if any Cat, BIG or small, is doing something you want to see cease...spray or splash Water on them...and generally they will find their concentration broken, and leave off.

There was a deal not long ago of a Lion, a youngish one, 2/3rds full grown or so, grabbed some idiot in a Zoo...softly mauled the guy pretty good, the guy was in the Lion's Cage...others came up yelling and waving arms and so on ( what good does that ever do? ) and finally they shot the poor thing a lot of times, and got the guy back out.

And I thought ( there is a video of it ) sheeeeeesh, these idiots, all they had to do was keep calm, act bored, show some understanding, and if the Cat was not willing to let go of the guy, then just splash a Bucket of Water on the Cat, and my bet? He'd have let go and walked away...

Oh well...

I don't know if you ever get out of town, or what type of fauna you can encounter in the high country of Nevada (I presume that there's a High Country in Nevada, as there is in New Mexico)...or in the deserts...or maybe right in town, after all.

Anymore I am a 'Barnacle'...I just Work in my Workshop, and, hardly ever go anywhere but the Grocery Store, Post Office, 7-11...

So, I pretty well only see those sorts of Creatures who are here downtown, or, who live here in this space, or who visit...

So, Pigeons...some Doves, some other sorts of Birdsnow and then...some several orders of Spiders ( Black Widows, Cellar Spiders, and some few others I do nto know the names of ), Crickets, Roaches, Ants...some feral Cats...Mice...street-people...sometimes a customer comes by to visit or commission something...sometimes a friend or business acquaintance comes over...

Thats about it...

Wasn't there a story about coyotes wandering through the streets from time to time? Or was it wolves...or bears....or....?

Not that I know of...

'Crack *****s' and Drunks wander the streets, around this neighborhood anyway...mental deficients, people off their meds...people who are between jail stints...

Some of the Street People are okay fellows...decent men, usually with drug or alcohol problems, but alright otherwise, or when sober...

On the far outskirts of Town one might see Coyotes sometimes...as with Rabbits, Tortoises...Deer maybe...Sidewinders or Rattle Snakes...

Not in town...or, not anymore.

Probably up till the 1950s or early 1960s, one would have seen these closer to town, or sort of in town, the town was so much smaller and ragged on the edges then...

I've been meaning to ask you a question, Phil, and I hope you'll forgive me for broaching it in public: I read a recent book about pigeons (I've forgotten the title, but many people here have certainly read it - it got excellent reviews and was largely pigeon-friendly) but I do remember that one the people the author interviewed was this guy living...was it in Las Vegas?...with a house full of pigeons....a kind of Extreme Pigeon Freak....who left the author, who had already met his share, sort of, well, shaken by the experience...:D :D :D

Huh...

Sounds interesting..!

If you can narrow down where I might read this, let me know?

Anyway, was this guy you?

No...or at least, I do not recall ever meeting anyone or having one over, who was writing a Book about Pigeons...

But the scene here could be certainly 'different' for most people.

Though people I have had over, soon found it charming and seemed easy with it...just not something they were used to...

Whether it was or wasn't doesn't have much importance to me, but my mind keeps straying back to the book, telling me that there's a connection....

Let me know the source of the mention...the Book title, or as may be...

(Do you think that someone is going to complain about this thread having gone off topic?) :rolleyes:
I think we shook 'em off by now...

Best,

Jonathan
So...Paris?

What you doin' there?

And, are you going to gat a Pigeon Pal for Poopzilla then? ( a Hen, ideally? )

Nice little non-releaseable French Hen..? ( or you could import an English or German one, I s'pose...)

If she was a honest to goodness French Hen, she could wear some 'French Maid' outfits now and then...that oughta get 'im I recon..! he'd forget about your 'feet' in a Heartbeat...!

Phil
l v

·
Registered
692 Posts

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Wow, my first read thread on this forum and it's ending full of acrimony. And for what? A bit of pigeon insides-outsides.

Have we forgotten the age-old saying, "the birds and the bees?" Don't let Seinfeld have the last word! (Again)

Ryanon, to get this thread back on track, may I suggest whatever is the pigeon equivalent of the Japanese ladies' night succour:

The Boyfriend Pillow

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Hi Victoria and welcome to the forum.

Acrimony on this site is truly a rarity but it does happen as it does on many sites when you have members of diverse backgrounds and personalities, so don't let this particular thread turn you off from the forum as a whole.

Personally, I have enjoyed the thread. But hey, I'm the member who has posted a game that turned out to have nudity also in the link....course, I immediately deleted the link when I found out, but the game was great! :)

I wasn't crazy about the original title of the thread and I'm glad that was changed. I doubt many of the very young people on this forum have paid much attention to the "innuendos" (like Kippy's "scotchguard" comment which I thought was hilarious) and those children, or teenagers, who did pay attention have probably been around pigeons long enough to understand exactly what was being said because they have seen it themselves.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts