Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

Yesterday I found a pigeon laying huddled up by a fence at the side of the footpath. Rather than leaving him to be used as a football or be eaten by a cat I bought him home. There are no obvious signs of trauma and no rings on his legs. His wings appear fine and undamaged but he is unable to fly.

I put him in a dog crate in a dark room and when he seemed a little less distressed I gave him some water and some wild bird seed and peanuts (he didn't like the mealworm) and some bedding.

Today I put the crate in the garden with the door open to see if he was able to fly but he just hobbled across the patio, half flapped his wings and hid under the nearest bush so he's back, safe in his cage at the moment. It appears to be his tail or back end that's causing the problem. He only has two tail feathers so I don't know if maybe he was hit by a car or had a near miss with a cat?

He's eating ok and passing waste without any fuss. What else can I do to ensure he gets better? The children have named him Oswald and it'd be lovely to be able to release him when he's recovered.

:)

Clacton on Sea area.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for bringing this bird inside and tending to him.

Please keep him out of cold air drafts and make sure he is in a warm area. Dog/cat carrier is good for him and being in subdue light and in a quiet and traffic free area, will lessen any added stress.

Pigeons are seed and grain eaters, and he can have chopped peanuts if they are raw and salt free...they don't eat worms.

He obviously has something going on and will need further observation as well as an exam. He will also need time to regrow the tail.

Where are you located? Perhaps we can find some help.

If his tail is missing it is possible he was gotten by a cat or other predator.

Can you check to see if there are any open wounds on the bird? If he has been cat caught he will need an antibiotic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, there's no signs of any lesions or tears or blood anywhere on him. He's limping and just has two tail feathers that point out in opposite directions when he walks.

I live in the UK in Essex, near to Colchester.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
He just may need time to heal a sprain, and to regrow the tail. Sounds like a cat did pounce on him. He may be in a poor condition (if he was weak enough to get snatched by a cat/predator), but only time will tell.

Meanwhile, I'm going to add your location to th title of your thread to alert our UK members, perhaps they can help with resources near you, or other advice.

Here is a link for resources:

http://www.pigeon-life.net/prd.htm

Thanks again for helping this needy bird.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.