Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a muffed white tumbler pair for approx 2yrs now. They've always been fit and well and the friendliness of the bunch of 15 pigeons/doves we have. She has been laying regularly now for the last few months but they don't seem to have much clue about sitting and caring for eggs. They have either knocked them out of the nest or crushed them. I think their big feathered feet make them a bit clumsy. Yesterday she was sitting on the eggs with her wings dropped down as usual but when I went to pet her and have a chat she didn't attempt to fight me off but instead seemed to 'stumble about'?! I've put her down on to the floor this morning and she just stumbles along almost as if there's something wrong with her legs or balance. She is still quite strong when she flies but lands very awkwardly. I've checked her over and can see no obvious signs of anything wrong. Having just come in from the loft now, she's bright a chirpy and looking all around her, tucking the 1 squashed egg under neither herself. I haven't seen her eat or drink yet this morning and am waiting to see what her next poo is like. Anyone any ideas as to what to do or look for next?
Thanx!

·
Registered
434 Posts
How are you supplementing calcium? Calcium deficiency will cause thin shelled eggs and weakness or paralysis in their legs. It’s not common for healthy eggs to break in the nest.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Agree with bootface. She could be sick, but I would look at calcium/D3 deficiency first.
What do they get for calcium? Do they get out into the sunshine? If not, then they also need the D3 supplemented in order to be able to absorb any calcium they do get. If they keep breaking their eggs, then she lays again too soon, which will help to deplete her body of calcium.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts