Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A colleague found a poorly pigeon this afternoon at work. It was dragging a wing and unable to fly away. I scooped it up and popped it in a box and bought it home. It appears young but is VERY scared and feisty. I have taken him out the box as I was worried it was too small and I didn't have time to put any holes in it. He is currently in a plastic box in my bath with a hot water bottle in a cover, which is then covered by a pillow case and towel. I have not had a chance to check him over because he is so afraid and pants every time I try to pick him up. He is able to flap both wings very well and doesnt appear to be dragging it anymore but still can't fly (could be too young to fly but doesn't really look it) I have called a local rescue centre who has advised to put something for him to roost on to feel safer and some mashed up cat food with water as I am unable to get anywhere with him because my boyfriend is out for the evening and I don't drive. I would ideally like to pass him on to someone more experienced as I will need to leave for work tomorrow for 8 hours! Any advice?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you post a picture of the bird so we can get an idea of his age?

Facebook Page Rescue group in the UK
If you are on Facebook, I suggest you join the Pigeon Rescue group which is a network of rescuers and some rescue centres in the UK:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PigeonProtection/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the facebook link, will check that out today. I am about to get ready for work so will be out most of the day. I am hoping a colleague will be able to take me to the animal rescue place on my lunch break as the poor thing doesnt appear to of touched the food or drink and hadn't moved from the spot I left him in last night when I checked on him this morning. Although he is still sparky as I had to chase him round the spare room while changing over his bed (my dad bought a cage round last night for safer keeping! ) He has also done two very loose watery green poos, the first since he has been here(about 13 hours) I will attach photos. I suspect he is a juvenile woodpigeon, he still has his long weird beak that juveniles have.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Hi! Can you pls give him a dish with water and some wild bird seed if you havent already? Thank you for helping him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts