Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Here's what my portable looks like

I fly 8 birmingham rollers, 5 young birds (4.5 months) and 3 old birds. They are not of the same family and none of them were bred by me. I got them and then trained them to fly portable. I do not use a dropper and it has not been a problem with me. I've been flying portable since April of this year.

Let me know if you have any questions. I am far from an expert but I have been doing well. Many say it's near impossible to fly portable with old birds but I've proven it can be done :). Have fun, portable is a great part of the performance pigeon hobby.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Exciting portable pigeon flyers unite...

Wow, I'm so impressed with the amount of people on the forum that free fly their birds. I think the combined efforts here will surely get more fanciers into portable flying.
2y4life, I loved your video. Please will you write in a little more detail how you got them trained, how old were the birds when you got them? How did you start the process?
The way I see it, pigeon racing is a very intensive hobby and will likely take a lot of time. That is something I really want to do... When the kids are older. I think that keeping a smaller group of pigeons will be more manageable for me now and if I can get them to fly portable / free, that will be an absolute bonus.
AZCorbin, you hseem to be on the right path with your planning and I will closely follow your progress.
I would like to see more photos and perhaps vids by Parlor Fan and 2y4life showing us some of the finer techniques, tips and tricks of training birds to fly free or from a portable loft.
As for which birds I'm looking at for myself, that is still a question I need to answer for myself. I have not yet made contact with any fanciers other than racing fanciers in my area. I know the South African club HQ is in Cape Town. So I'll need to contact them and ask them about fanciers in my neck of the woods.
The other thing I'll do is write about my previous experiences with racing homers when I was 16,17 in Belgium. I know that I was one of the youngest racers in the club then... It isn't really a young boy sport as it requires time and money, neither of which I had a lot of haha.
also I'll tell you how I got the bug again, when we picked up a young feral pigeon and raised it in a little wire dog cage in the garden... I let it go after it was fully feathered and now it comes everyday to enjoy the feed I leave out for him...
Thanks for the invaluable information you guys are sharing.
Happy flying.

·
Registered
386 Posts
No problem Tony.

You are right, racing homers is a very intense and time consuming hobby especially when you have to go out and road train. I've been there too (only for 2 races).

The thing about homers is you can't free fly or fly portable. With rollers and many other breeds, you absolutely can BUT the losses tend to be much higher than flying stationary. You need to have lots and lots of patience during the training process and be very careful and meticulous about how you do everything. But flying portable gives you an excitement that you can't get with flying stationary not to mention you can share it with everyone. The kids at the park absolutely enjoy it.

Yours in our hobby,

Tou

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Thanks for the info and video 2y4life. To any wondering click on his picture posted and it links to a PB video.
It's great that you are doing it with old birds. Makes it seem all the more easier doing it with hand fed now.

I hope you are able to find the birds you are looking for.
And the you are able to get back in keeping birds.
I find great joy watching my tipplers do lap after lap above my head.
And wouldn't wish to trade that for anything.

It will still be a little while before I get this going as I have birds going into the pairing cage today. I am going to let them raise a pair first then I will take the second ones.
I may let them winter breed as it doesn't get too cold here.

But defiantly like all this talk and look forward to learning more about this topic as I still have good time to alter my training plans for them.
Also would enjoy seeing some more pictures as this is a foreign topic to many.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Parlor fan, I'm not a yahoo user, have you perhaps thought of starting a Facebook page for portable flyers I'd be very happy to help with that and do some graphics if required. Let me know if you have a FB profile, then I can set one up and you could be admin on there too... Just a thought.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Tony,
My Wife took a computer class and set me up a Facebook page also.She also set up an American Parlor Roller Association page where she put pics and videos of the rolls we have gone to.
Mark

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I decided to fly NY flights portable now. It should be easier then tipplers and I can get some a few miles down the road. =]
Plus I have always wanted NYFF so now I have a good reason!

I am going to make a thread to document it all once I get it going. I wasn't planing on this until 2012 but looks like I may be starting sooner then later.
Still only planing on 3 birds and will be flying them out of a homing basket. Their home loft will be around 3'sq.
I am excited!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Portable loft / field flying videos

To help inspire, all the Portable Loft flyers out there, here are some Portable flying videos I made over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Videos include a combined kit of Doneks and Greek Nose Divers, the stock of the late Matt Shushok, the Greeks leave the Doneks in the dust on the way down, also Vienna High Flyers, Egyptian Swifts, and Iraqi Tumblers (Zingees)
Robert
Here's the Link; http://www.youtube.com/user/Roberts5l?feature=mhee#p/u/2/2LLN0PY0wAY

·
Registered
10 Posts
Robert, those videos are awesome.
Would you be able to describe your basic training techniques so that a noob (squab) like me could do it? Also if you have any words on the preferred type of bird and what qualities they need or don't need to be good at free / portable flying.
Thank you so much for the videos again. really enjoyed them.
Tony

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Tony,
There is more training info on this Forum, search (Nikolaesky) if that doesn't give you enough, send me a Private E-mail with your E-mail address and I'll send you a short training video I made to help out another Forum member.

All breeds of pigeons can be trained to fly Portable, even Show birds.
I've flown a Kit of little white Figurita's, and had a lot of fun with them.

If your serious about flying Portable you should stick with the Performance Flying breeds.
The breeds I enjoy flying the most from a Portable; Doneks, Greek Nose Divers (Wutas), Vienna HF, Hungarian HF, Polish Orliks, Fireball Rollers, Kelebeks, Dewlaps, Ukrainian Skycutters, Egyptian Swifts, and Iraqi Tumblers (Zingees).

I'd really love to fly some Iraqi Basrawi Rollers (Portable), if anyone out there knows of any for a reasonably price, $50.00 to $75.00 a pair.

Last time I tried to get some Basrawi's the person sent me the Zingees, which flip/tumble, they are good birds, but not the ones I asked for.
Robert

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Robert have you ever worked with Flying flights? From the birds you listed I am getting the idea you are not in the US?
I have three Busrawiis, I got them as a pair and one cock offspring. When I got them they split up and will not mate back up.
However when they do I plan and selling their offspring for much more, but that won't be till I get my numbers up on them.

I wish a kept a few of the standard Iraqi Tumblers as I had 30 a few months back.

I have access to Vienna HF's as well and wouldn't mind flying those.

Edit: I see from your truck you are in the US. Nice collection of birds you have.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Robert has been my mentor and I also fly birds from a portable.
I fly both Doneks and Orientals but have really taken a liking to the Doneks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello AZCorbin,

I have been flying White NYC Flying Flights from the Portable for about 4 years now.
I really love the Flights, they're smart and probably the most people friendly birds I've ever worked with, but they just weren't working hard enough for me, I had to make them work.

Robert

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Robert,
thanks that would be great. will email you when I return from a short break - we're going caravaning this weekend.
Tony

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Well later than I thought but I'm up and running.
Currently hand feeding three NYFF's of which I am keeping one.
I also just dragged a 2012 Tippler yb hen out of our flying loft to help wean these. All four hand picking seed on the first night!

I decided to put together a kit of 12 birds each one being a different varitey.
All will be flying breeds. I am going to see if there is any difference between hand pumping or letting ma and pa wean them. I am thinking no...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got a cage that looks like yours this afternoon. I'm leaning towards portable flying although I'd like to race as well. Maybe in the future...

Great vid by the way!

Here's what my portable looks like

I fly 8 birmingham rollers, 5 young birds (4.5 months) and 3 old birds. They are not of the same family and none of them were bred by me. I got them and then trained them to fly portable. I do not use a dropper and it has not been a problem with me. I've been flying portable since April of this year.

Let me know if you have any questions. I am far from an expert but I have been doing well. Many say it's near impossible to fly portable with old birds but I've proven it can be done :). Have fun, portable is a great part of the performance pigeon hobby.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to pigeons and intrigued with portable loft flying. Robert Lockwood has some great YouTube videos showing his methods and Vieshian Black Pigeons that he developed over the years. Very impressive birds. I saw some of the black tipplers that you have on one of your videos "http://www.youtube.com/flyingtipplers", nice looking birds also, they look somewhat similar to the Vieshians. If you plan on breeding them, I may be interested purchasing some late Spring/ early Summer. How do you feel they would do flying to a portable loft?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts