Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have had a portuguese tubler for a couple of months. It seems like forever ago now, but when I got him he had a GI infection and mites. He is healed from both now, and my avian vet gueses he is between 6months and 1 1/2 years old judging by the condition of beak, feathers, and claws. I had gotten to the point where he would eat out of my hand and was even comming to my hand by whistle, and he was very quiet. He is Not quiet now. This started about a week ago. He is acting wierd. He will look at me turn in circles and make a quei ca queee noise as he turns circles and fluffs up his middle wing feathers not his head feathers. Then he will find a place to perch and make a long quaaaaaak motercycle sounding noise again and again. Sometimes he does this call so strong that his head bobs. Does anyone know what he is trying to communicate, and how I could respond in a way that would help build our relationship? Now he does not want to fly to my hand and has started pecking at my hand before he eats the food in it. I have never had a bird before, so I have no clue what is going on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
He's trying to whoo you those are mating calls and strutting. As for the pecking again it's a mating behavior. Find him a mate, try to find one that is also tame and you should be ok

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Do you have any other birds/hens around?

Sounds like he is just growing up and doing what is natural behavior. You can post a video and we can comment, just to be sure.

·
Registered
899 Posts
yes, he is looking for mate!! if possible, can you get another pigeon for him?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
They are much happier in the company of other pigeons, or at least having a mate.

·
Registered
287 Posts
There are some nice Portuguese tumblers in Texas, let me know if you are interested in a hen and I will put you in touch with a couple breeders

1 - 6 of 6 Posts