Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think this post is against forum rules, if it is I apologize in advance!
:)

OK, maybe this is nuts...

But I wondered if it would be legal to pelt lurking hawks with mini marshmallows? They wouldn't hurt the hawks, the ammo can be eaten by my dogs (so no environmentally unfriendly bits of plastic or whatnot left around), and maybe it would be annoying enough to convince the hawks living in my backyard to find another place to call home?

A friend of mine has a "Marshmallow Shooter" and I thought if it was legal, maybe I'd give it a go?

I'm against inflicting harm on any species, but annoying something until it relocates doesn't seem to be against the law or morally wrong, opinions? (I've been hit by the marshmallows by the way. And honestly you can barely feel it. They are projected with air, I even got hit in the face with the stupid things and it feels like someone gently touching you with a finger - there's no way it could harm even the smallest bird. But I bet it would be very off putting!)

http://www.marshmallowshooter.com/

I thought I might write to the Golden Gate Raptor Observatory and see if they think it might be alright...

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well thats a new one, I guess you could do the same with nurf ball shooters, but it does'nt seem like they would go very far, if your out there to get close enough with the marshmellow shooter then it will probably fly away before you can get a shot at it anyway, the hawks around here are very offputting by me...flailing my arms and screaming"get outa here!"...they don't like that either...lol....I say if it will shoot fast and far...try it, if it does'nt then it probably won't work, and they may even try to start catching the marshmellow in their mouth...just kiddin..

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL!!

I wonder if I'd get arrested for causing the hawks' death by comedy...
;)

I have 2 red shouldered hawks and a young coopers who have taken up residence in the trees in my backyard. They are so brash as to stand on top of the roof (I'm on the second/top floor of the house) or literally 15 feet away in the tree next to the loft (which is also on the second/top floor of the house on the deck). No amount of waving, leaping, flailing of chihuahuas over my head, or expletives seems to phase them. The jet stream nozzle on the hose works great, but it requires that I run downstairs, turn on the water, run back upstairs.... with the Marshmallow shooter I can be prepared at all times! It has a range of 40 ft and you can even get a little laser sight thingus.

I like the idea of the marshmallows because the dogs will eat them up and nothing harmful is left in the environment for anything to choke on by accident (the problem with the nerf shooters, etc).

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you could always use a super soaker if your dogs get filled up on marshmellows, too much sugar not good for any body...:)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I used to use a very large squirt gun on some of our squirrels, as it would shoot 50 feet. Really blast them. When I really got mad, I would run outside and follow them through the tree branches they would try to escape to. The neighbors must have thought I had lost it............................running through the yard and shooting up at the trees. It worked pretty well though, as the squirrels also thought me to be nuts and would therefore stay away for a while. LOL.

·
Registered
41 Posts
LOL. Marshmellow hit and hawk will figure out that no harm to him, Next time might use his brain and try to catch it as it's free food.

LOL "I don’t think that you will be permitted to use this weapon, as many hawks will die laughing at you."

I don't know about hawks laughing and dying, but I am about too. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Is it one of those toy marshmellow shooters that are made out of pvc pipe? 'cause those don't work worth a darn!:p

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Depends on the hawk, Coopers hunt by ambush so your little shooter is a great idea. Like the crows and mockingbirds disrupt their hunt flying and screaming at them you are doing the same. Now, the cooper will not stop hunting your area but will learn that you disrupt so it leaves when it see you. I know I had the same problem but now my birds are safe as long as I stay with them.

But facons hunt with speed and from the air. By the time you see them on the attack it will be too late. The trick with them is loft fly hungry, and train to trap to a whistle. If you see the facon high above, trap them quick.

God Bless,
Tony

PS If it doesn't work make smores.

·
Registered
57 Posts
[I think is a wonderfull idea Kari!!! Why not, it's worth the try who knows it might work, if i had hawks sitting around my loft trying to get my birds (which i do), best to believe i'll be trying to do the same thing, I'm thinking about getting one my self!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
My nephew has one and they are pretty harmless. Don't think it will hurt the hawks. And yeah . . . my dogs love marshmellows too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts