Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is a mourning dove outside of my store in a small area of grass and shrubs (i am in WI and it was pretty cold out this morning, but is starting to warm up a little now). i have noticed it there for 3 days. when i go out to my car, it is startled and hops away instead of flying. i don't know anything about doves, but it does seem to be smaller than an full-grown adult, but not necessarily a baby. i'm assuming it is unable to fly since it is staying in the same area and i have yet to see it fly or even flap it's wings.

i have water and bird seed out there. i'm debating whether or not to catch it and bring it inside. i don't want to frighten it or hurt it - especially if it is fine. is this typical for an adolescent to be on the ground for a while before it's ready to fly?

i have a bed ready in a large box with shallow a shallow water dish large enough to bathe in, a small shallow dish with seed and a soft sheet. i covered the top with lace so light can still get in because i don't have a screen of any sort.

should i try to bring it in, warm it up and give it a safe place to rest and eat? or do i need to leave it alone? we have a wildlife rehab center a little over an hour away. i can bring it if needed or just give it a couple days here to relax and be safe before letting it go.

help!!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
should i try to bring it in, warm it up and give it a safe place to rest and eat?
Yes, please do! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would try to catch it and look around for a nest and parents. It might be a fledgling which will fly but not well, or it might be ill. Contact the wildlife rehabber in your area and I'm sure they will be happy to help you from there.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
What finally happened?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts