Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a possible racing pigeon in my yard. This is about the 12th bird I have helped. It may be sick. the poop is a bright green, Looks almost neon. Lands hard when attempting to fly and sits low to the ground. It has an Orange band on one foot and Metal band reading 3 5 AZRC 12 AV on the other

Any help is appreciated! I live in AZ

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is drinking quite a bit and eating just fine. It seem alert but not scared. It is very used to humans it seems. It doesn't fly but looks well taken care of. I cannot track the code on it's band though.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The bright green poop could be just because of starvation....if the color improves with the eating, its fine. Sometimes head trauma can cause inability to fly for some time.

I suggest you watch his behavior, poops and examine him thoroughly for any wounds, swelling, bad smell from mouth etc. Spread his wings gently and see if they retract fine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't find any wounds. His wings seem ok. He isn't balancing well though. I'm used to small doves so idk if that's normal for pigeons or not. Is this a pigeon I should release after rest and food? Or is this a domesticated birdy?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it's in my initial post also it's 3 5 azrc 12av. I tried researching the code but no luck so far

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Its probably a roller and his band has an abbreviation for arizonia roller club.

please give the bird food and water if he will eat he may survive.. out of balance does not sound good. please dip his beak in a shot glass of water and leave a croc he can't tip over in with him as well as wild bird food and some unpopped popcorn. he could be dehydrated, or he could have an illness that was brought on by stress of being lost and not having food.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't think of that. i'll look up the roller clubs here. I keep a bag of "outdoors" bird seed in my home. Since I happen to have a wounded bird on my porch every few weeks. I'm sure my cats believe that I am teasing them by bringing in these birds and seperating them. (don't worry, the bird is safe) It seems to be eating just fine and quite a bit. Drinking just fine also. Slept quite a bit. Probably exhausted. Still cannot fly though. It flaps and jumps a bit but that is all. The poop is looking better already, i'm guessing due to food.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hopefully he was just starving but a little more time will tell. This is a domestic bird and can not survive in the wild, so please don't release even when he is well.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
He could be off balance from dehydration, or he could be ill. If he was starving, then he may well be too weak to fly. As was mentioned, he could also have canker from the stress. An illness which is brought on by stress, for which he would need medication.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts