Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things got a little crazy here this afternoon. I had gone to the duck pond around 1 PM today and made my rounds. All seemed to be fine. There were lots of nice people there feeding the birds, and I saw no birds in need of assistance.

I left and went to Petsmart to spend the weekly small fortune on bird and animal supplies and then went on to the grocery store to pick up a few things for the humans around here. Just as I was leaving the grocery store I got a call from a nice young man that lives right on the duck pond. He told me that there was someone in the park shooting the ducks and that people were running around and screaming and that the police had just arrived.

He asked if I could come by to check on the ducks as he was very ill and not able to get out and around the pond and parkland. Naturally, I was off like a shot and was back at the duck pond in minutes.

There were four police cars and a total of about 6 officers in the park. They had a young man handcuffed and sitting on the curb at the back of the pond. I went up and asked if there were any birds needing assistance, and they responded that they didn't know. I introduced myself and said I would make a check on the birds and do my best to help any that were injured. They responded "fine, but animal control is on the way". I responded "fine, I'll just go have a look anyway".

I found one beautiful gray female that was definitely not right though not necessarily because she had been shot. She was struggling to breathe, making strange quacking sounds, rolling her head, and her eyes were definitely not right. I headed to my duck truck for a net and met up with the first animal control officer to arrive. She was new and had not a clue what to do or how to do it but was very nice. I went ahead and netted the duck after having to wait for the duck to come back close enough to the shore. About that time, a second ACO arrived .. I know her well, and she is very, very nice and very experienced. Actually she was one of the ACO's wading in the flood control channel last Sunday with me! She and I thoroughly checked the duck for wounds and found none. She kindly allowed me to go ahead and bring the duck home.

I don't know what is wrong with this duck, but it is a very strange coincidence that I didn't spot her having a problem on my first trip to the pond today and only noticed her after the shooting spree. Her legs are not broken, but she cannot stand in addition to her other problems. Botulism was suggested by one of the ACO's, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem.

This picture doesn't do her justice .. it was already almost completely dark when I took the pic.

Hopefully I will figure out what's going on with her tomorrow and that she will be OK.

Also, hopefully, that young nincompoop trying to shoot the ducks will get what he deserves!

Terry

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
:mad: ....I'm just glad that they caught the person who fired the shots.

I'm glad you were able to catch her so you can observe her, I hope she will be allright.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
That is an evil person who would shoot at innocent birds and he could easily have killed someone who was at the park or lived near by.

Terry, I so hope you can find out the problem with this beautiful duck. I wonder if she could have been traumatized from all the commotion?

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Treesa and Maggie. The duck seemed some better this morning when I checked her before leaving for work. She was and is acting as if she is hurt in some way. She may have been accidentally trampled on when the park visitors scrambled when the shooting started. I'll post an update after I see how she is doing this evening.

Terry

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
what a beautiful duck, what kind is she?

what they heck was that guy thinking or not thinking?...that is bizzare. hope he does not target people next......what a freak!

you never seem to have a dull day.:p

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know for sure what type of duck this is. I will try to research that tomorrow .. definitely a domestic breed, and she is gorgeous. She's about the same this evening .. slightly improved from when I removed her from the park but not all better yet. Hopefully she will be fine. She has a very handsome mate back at the park, and I would like to reunite them when she has recovered.

Here's the handsome guy she hooked up with at the pond:

Terry

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
What a great group of duck pond supporters you have there, that would react so quickly and strongly to the shooter! Sure hope the duck heals quickly. Her mate is a handsome drake!

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
So glad they caught the shooter.
I hope the duck recovers completely and can be reunited with her handsome mate.

Reti

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
She is so pretty.
How is she doing today?

Reti

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks Terry for all you do to help these beautiful ducks. The hen looks a lot like a histrionicus h. histrionicus (Harlequin) Male is for sure a mix breed. Hen is probably a mix also. Very lovely though. Jim

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She Died Today ..

I am very sorry to report that this beautiful duck died during the day today while I was at work. I saw her and took care of her this morning and while she was still not using her legs well, she did eat and drink for me. What can I say .. I'm very sad.

Terry

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Terry :( She was a very pretty duck! She was lucky to have you looking after her :) You said she could have gotten trampled, that sounds very likely. She could have had some internal injuries you wouldn't have been able to help.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I am so sorry this beauty didn't make it.

Reti

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What kind of gun was this scum bag using? If it was a pellet or BB gun maybe it's penetration into the duck would be such a small wound it would be undetectable especially through down feathers which would probably keep the duck from bleeding much. Sorry the duck died but at least it died in a safe place.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts