Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my doves has made a honking sound since I got him (7 months ago).
I honestly just thought it was a sound doves make but the more I learn about doves the more unusual it seems.
He also has watery poop sometimes. He seems slightly smaller than birds his age and while he does eat, he doesn't seem to eat as much as others.
I have looked into his throat to see if there was anything visible which there isn't.

My vet hasn't called me back to set up an appointment.

Personality-wise, he seems the same as other birds. He doesn't hang around the floor of his cage with his feathers ruffled or anything like that.

Any advice is WELCOME :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He eats less then other birds I think. Though he doesn't seem to have trouble eating. I don't think he has lost weight but he seems thin compared to his cage mate. They were the same size when I got them and the other bird has filled out more.
He has not lost any feathers.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
He eats less then other birds I think. Though he doesn't seem to have trouble eating. I don't think he has lost weight but he seems thin compared to his cage mate. They were the same size when I got them and the other bird has filled out more.
He has not lost any feathers.
Then you probably should isolate, just to be on the safe side, so you can observe the bird closely and watch how much he eats and poops. He may be sick or not, but if his keel bone is sharp or just sticking out he needs supplement feedings.

Did you look down his throat and see if there is anything other then pink skin, any lesions or obstructions? Feathers missing on neck???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then you probably should isolate, just to be on the safe side, so you can observe the bird closely and watch how much he eats and poops. He may be sick or not, but if his keel bone is sharp or just sticking out he needs supplement feedings.

Did you look down his throat and see if there is anything other then pink skin, any lesions or obstructions? Feathers missing on neck???
Yes he is in his own cage (unfortunately he's been there anyways as we are waiting for a new mate for him).

I have checked down his throat and it looks healthy and normal!

Luckily a vet called back and he has an appointment tonight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts