Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I need some help we were ok up to now, but for a few days I see that the droppings are more and more watery to the point that there is more water then anything, also today I have observed that she is dropping the wings down they just kind of hanging to the sides.
Any suggestions, please I really need your help…..
Thanks you all.
Regards

Elena

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
That could be any of many things, but probably a disease requiring a medication. Do you have any? Where, basically, are you in case we have resources in your area? Any chance of going to a vet? Can you post a picture of the bird and tell more of it's history?

Pidgey

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have the bird for about a month, the neighbors kids brought it to me, the bird was and is missing the flying feathers someone plucked it out so it could not fly, I have made some space in the living room for it I have placed a cage with the door open so Lucky (the bird) can come out anytime and go in when it wants.

I live in Middle East (Ras Al Khaimah, UAE), the vet is not really an option. But I will have to visit the one here anyway just to make sure its ok.

It was ok all this time I was giving it garlic gel caps (1 daily for about 2 weeks, then I had to go out of town for 3 days so the bird has been alone (with plenty food and water) , then I started to see that the droppings are getting a bit watery and green , I started on garlic again….that was yesterday.. today I have washed out everything with water mixed with detol…. And give one more cap of garlic…then I sow that the bird is just sitting in there with the wings dropped down…
I’m a bit concern…. I have never had bird before…. I intend to make sure that the feathers will grow and then let the bird go, as it is a wild bird….
Please help… I have read in some posts that Tylan powder and Doxycycline can help (need to check if available) but the mix given was for a lot of birds, I only have 1…?
Thanks a lot..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something more, it had red fleas so I took it to the vet, the vet sprayed something under its wings and the fleas are gone, that was about 1 week ago, it had 2 baths in 1 moths (from the time I have it), its got a heater not far from the cage so it is worm….

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well... let's also quit the garlic at this point.

What antibiotics can you actually get your hands on--can you get Tylan and Doxycycline? If you acquire some and read us the stuff on the labels, we can figure out how to dose.

Pidgey

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will get some tomorrow as it is night here and all the shops are closed for the day.
Will stop the garlic….
Hope it will be ok until morning; at home I don’t have any antibiotics at all.
Tomorrow I will see the vet and ask for the meds, I’m also working tomorrow so hope it will be ok…..

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
When you see the vet or seek out the medicine, if you can not find the Tylosin & Doxycycline a good substitute would be trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) also known as Divet, human form names are Bactrim or Septra.

Also, Elena it would not hurt to have some metronidazole on hand, if you could get a few pills of this medicine or a small prescription this would be good. These two medicines will help Lucky with I think a good many of common possible infections Lucky could have.

Would it be possible to get a weight on Lucky to monitor his weight?

Karyn

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your bird is not feeling well.

Are you giving the bird any probiotics? Garlic can very useful but it can cause the gut flora to be out of balance. Therefore I rhad recommended probiotics/ACV.

Also, the heater may not be the best heating method. Have you covered the cage with a thick towel?

I left a post in your other thread.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys,
Sorry for the delay, updates…..
The next day (yesterday, after work came home to have a look at the bird with the idea to then go to the vet) I found that the bird was ok, the droppings are back to solid and the wings are almost back up, so as suggested by my husband we decided to wait. Latter that night Lucky was singing to us from she’s corner.

Today she is much better, the droppings are solid, (no water al all), she eats and drinks well, and as I’m writing this she just stopped from singing (coo…coo..).

Is it possible that the garlic caps were the problem….? Also we had a big storm here and I thing it was a bit cold as well, but now that it has the heater not far it could be back to normal?....

I will get to the vet and get the meds but I don’t thing I should fix what’s not broken… any suggestions.

By the way, it gets to explore the house while everyone’s at work during the day, coming home I find the poop all over the house now….;), my hubby is still ok with it….;).

Thanks you all for your great support…..!

Elena & Lucky

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Well...yes, it may have been the garlic. Keep an eye on her...if her poops stay normal and if her energy and mood have returned to being good, then she will probably be fine.

If she starts showing those signs again...plus seeming sleepy or having fluffed up feathers....then she will need some medications.

It may be a good idea to investigate how you can have some basic bird medicine at your home, just in case of future problems. Wormers, antibiotics, and a few other typical digestive and respiratory system medicines are good to have on hand.

Thank you for giving Lucky a loving home !!! Do you give her any out-of-cage time (indoors, of course) ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Jaye,

Thanks for the advice about meds I have to definitely get something just to have in case.

Lucky has its cage but the door in it is open so she can go anywhere in the house she wants….(she is cooing at the moment…its morning here;)), when we come home from work we can trail where she’s been by her poop, its everywhere, yesterday she has discovered our bedroom mirror, so she was continuously running in to there so I had to put a mirror not far from her cage, he he he now she got a friend right next to her.

The cage is used only to get food and water (the pots are there) but Lucky sleeps on the floor, or on the red carpet that she’s got.

Happy that she’s ok….

Thanks a lot for your help and advises.

Elena & Lucky.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm glad to hear your bird is feeling better.

The garlic caps are a big plus against a variety of issues, and unless your bird has an upset stomach, the garlic would not have caused the bird to become sick, as I have used it for years, but I also use probiotics during a course of using garlic as mentioned before. Did you ever get the probiotics for the bird?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey everyone,

Good news!!!.. We took Lucky out today to get some sun, we have left the door open so it can get inside when it wants, together with my husband we were watching for cats (just in case), to our amassment Lucky did not want to stay outside so it made a jump open its wings and it actually flue back inside the house……;) :0) ;o) .
We could not believe it, but anyway 5 minutes latter we got him out again (not catch and bring outside but herding him thru the door, I’m trying not to get him to used to humans, it will need his instincts when back in wild), anyway same thing happened again…. It lifted of the ground maybe a miter and nicely went into the house by maneuvering around my husband that was in front of the door… and all this while flying.

We were and are really happy that the feathers are starting to come back and Lucky is making a good improvement.

It is only a month from the time that we got him and he did not have much feathers on…and now things are looking better for it.

Just wanted to share this with you all….and thank you all for your help…

It is great to have people like you in this world..

Elena & Lucky

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello everybody!!!,

Just want to let you all know that tomorrow is Lucky’s fist test to fly outside (he is being hanging out of roof funs and ceiling lamps for sometime now). So we have decided that tomorrow morning we’ll take him outside and close the door for a bit…..
I really hope that it will fly again ….will find a partner and make a home ….and all that normal pigeons do…..
I will be posting some pics soon.

Regards

Elena & Lucky.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi Elena,

Could you please post a photo of how Lucky's tail has grown in and a little more information on how he is now feeling. I would not fly him outside just yet until you get more feedback from this forum. The reason being is that he may fly just well enough to get up to a place where you can not catch him again, but not well enough to be able to evade any predators and probably would not survive if this is the case.

Karyn

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I agree with Dobato. I wouldn't let him fly outside, and for exactly the same reason. Even a bird which can't fly well enough to survive can fly up onto something where you cannot retrieve him. Then what would you do?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts