Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am unable to find nystatin in India for my pet pigeon. Is there anyone here from India who can help me with a medicine for treating yeast infection. Thanks in advance

Tithi

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
I'm sure there were members from India on here that were able to get Nystatin. Any other anti-fungal that you might be able to get? Are you sure he has a yeast infection? Are you giving apple cider vinegar in the drinking water? I've read cinnamon also helps for yeast, but I don't know how effective this will be. Slightly wet the cinnamon and make small balls to feed to him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Marina for the reply. Yes I’m giving peas coated with diluted apple cider vinegar. He had a slow crop which got empty after a day of complete fast and he seemed active last night (exploring the house like usual). Just not eating on its own (even though he’s pecking). I’m treating with metro for canker as he showed difficulty in swallowing 2 days back. Poop is good. Just for safety I’m planning to keep all
important medicines at hand. Currently I’ve got baytril and metro. Wanted to keep a fungal med too. We’ve Itraconazole here, is that a good substitute?

p.s - he just recovered from pox and finally shedding the scabs. There’s very few left now

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Hi, have you tried to look for nystatin here?

Here they mention other medications for yeast treatment:

I have never used them (I only used nystatin) so I can't help you with them. I'm sorry.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Never used that either. Mycostatin is the same as Nystatin, maybe it's sold under a different name in your country. The advantage of Nystatin is that it doesn't get absorbed into the body, so is much safer to give and you can't overdose. Rather try to order some online. Is the metro helping with the swallowing? What dosage are you giving?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I actually could not manage nystatin in solution form. They only have it in ointment form for cats and dogs so I am using fluconazole based on the info I got from some other great threads here in PT. She has started eating a little food on her own when we offered but I don’t still see the crazy willingness to be fed in the morning (she used to squeak and beg for food, flapping her wings all the time). She is digesting fine (age 2 months) Takes occasional tour of the house and mostly rests on the box. Just an added info, it’s winter here in India and temperature is around 19 deg centigrade. Also she has started hating the morning liquid but loves the seeds. The challenge is, she still doesn’t have enough water to get those seeds digested. Is this slow recovery normal for GI track problems ? Currently giving fungus medicine and 5 th day into metronidazole

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.