Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for you all. I took a look at my Lahore hen today because she hadnt been acting like the other birds lately. She has just been sitting in her box and not really moving around. And I noticed her crop looked a little bigger than it usually does. So I picked her up and opened her mouth to see if maybe she had canker and nope no canker. But it did smell pretty bad when I opened her mouth and she threw up a little bit. Any idea of what this could possibly be? My first though is sour crop due to the bloated crop. Any help would be great thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I just had that couple of weeks ago. I have this bird that was acting like that--inflated crop. I thought it swallowed something big. LOL! I just gave the bird diluted vinegar for 2 days, and 2 days of garlic drink and he recovered. He is back to himself now and flying as usual. That bird got sick for 5 days. I have observed the bird not moving much like you have observed after the second day and I knew something was not right. He only eat few, but because he drinks water I got lucky. (The diluted vinegar was 1 tablespoon per 1/4 gallon--so it is sour. The garlic was the usual, with 4 cloves per gallon.) I think they have medicine for this that you can buy in pigeon store.

Here is what I did. Give diluted vinegar one day. The next day garlic drink. Then the cycle repeats until I see some signs of improvement. Because my bird showed improvement I didn't resort to giving him pigeon medicine. Good luck!

If the bird doesn't drink by itself, then you will be forced to give it one using a dropper.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
she is drinking thankfully. I have her in isolation right now with a heat lamp on her at night. I also gave her some vitimins, garlic, and Ronidazole to help if she does possibly have canker and to help her from getting it if she doesnt. Im sure she is under a lot of stress. Ill have to get some vinegar and give that a shot. Gonna be ordering some Sulmet 12.5% (Sulfamethazine) from foys as well. Should be good to have on hand.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
she is drinking thankfully. I have her in isolation right now with a heat lamp on her at night. I also gave her some vitimins, garlic, and Ronidazole to help if she does possibly have canker and to help her from getting it if she doesnt. Im sure she is under a lot of stress. Ill have to get some vinegar and give that a shot. Gonna be ordering some Sulmet 12.5% (Sulfamethazine) from foys as well. Should be good to have on hand.
get organic ACV with the "mother" in it, which makes the vinegar cloudy. it has good anitbac and antifungal properties and aids in digestion.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I would not treat with medication if you don't have a diagnosis, as the medications can complicate the sour crop or other crop issues.

I have also treated crop issues(very smelly breath, and crop with water) with Apple cider vinegar, probiotics and garlic caps. You have to be consistent and treat the bird daily, until all symptoms are gone. It works, but you have to be attentive to the bird, and keep a close eye out- as they can choke on any access fluid that comes up.

I gave my bird a soft gel garlic cap down the throat, then probiotics cap later in the day, and ACV water to drink, and did this each day until it was gone. The caps enable the birds to get a good dose, which they othwerwise may not get if they are allowed to drink as they please.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well its been 4 days since I put my Lahore hen in isolation and I must say she is doing absolutely fantastic. Thanks so much for all of your help. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.