Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, my husband noticed that we had an injured pigeon in our front yard, so I caught it and stuck it in a cat carrier, so our dogs wouldn't get to it. We've now had this bird for a week, and I have two issues that I'd like to get some help with. First of all, as I said, the pij appears to've been injured when we caught it. It had feathers loose on its neck, wing, and right leg, and was having obvious trouble moving it's wing and leg. Over the course of a week, I've moved it into a nice big cage w/a "nest" that I made out of a basket inside a box (sorta' a nest w/a roof and three walls) w/soft, fluffy grass for bedding, and its been eating and drinking very well. Its wing/neck injuries don't appear to bother it anymore, but the leg still does.

In looking at the leg, it is immediately obvious that the poor bird has a broken middle toe, but the toe is very straight, if much too close to the first (inside) toe. I can't see any other breaks on the leg, but I think it might be broken, due to the fact that the pij doesn't like to put any weight onto the leg. He tries, very,very rarely, and it does seem to hold a tiny bit of his weight, but it is obviously painful, and he usually hops around while holding the right leg slightly elevated and slightly back (at about 70-75 degrees, as opposed to a 90 degree angle from the ground.) Does this sound like a break or a dislocation, or is it possible that the leg is just being favored due to the broken toe? I can load pictures, or a short video, if that would help...

My second issue is this: I think this pij may have been someone's pet until very recently. He (she?) doesn't seem as frightened of me and my family as other wild/feral critters/birds that I've dealt with before. Catching this bird was pretty much a matter of just walking up to it, and when I add food/water/paper/bedding to the cage, he just kinda' coos or chirps happily. He did sound abit more scared the first day, but that has gone away. Also- -when I mistakenly thought his leg had healed the other day, I opened the cage and let him out. He flew away for awhile, and then came back to the porch. My husband and I were watching through the window, and realized that his leg was still giving him trouble, and while we debated how we were going to catch a now-flight-capable bird and return him to the cage, he calmly flew back up on the table, hopped back into his cage, and went back to his little nest for a rest....

I guess what I'm looking for is a helping hand....If he belongs to anyone, they may certainly have him (her?) back. He was found on my lawn, which is near the corner of Mendiburu Rd. and Conklin St., in California City, California. He showed up there on 06/09/09 about mid-day . He's a pinkish/purple-ish/light brownish bird, w/no band. I'm also hoping that there may be a rehabber in my area who could help me with splinting him, if that is necessary. I can do it myself, if I have to , but would rather some one w/more experience do it, rather than risk further harming such a nice bird.

I guess if he's gonna keep coming back, it's time to prove that we can all be good neighbors....

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Thank you so much for helping this pigeon. He sounds like a domestic bird even though he's not banded. The injuries you describe may have been caused by a hawk--another reason not to let him out again. The fact that he came back means he considers your place home. ;)

Definitely don't release him because he sounds too tame to live in the wild in addition to his leg not being up to par. I don't have experience with broken bones but I question whether it could still be splinted two weeks later. Your best bet would be to have him seen by an avian vet, but I realize not everyone has access to one. A photo and/or video would be helpful in assessing the injury.

It's nearly impossible to trace an unbanded pigeon's owner, so it sounds like you have a new friend. Many of us have pet pigeons and they make awesome pets. Of course if you really can't keep him long term, we can try to help you find another home for him.

-Cathy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my new pijn pal

Yeah, it definitely looks as if this bird has decided that he/she lives here now...I had always heard that you shouldn't feed a stray dog, or it'd never leave, I didn't know that that applied to pigeons as well.

Unfortunately, my hubby and I will be moving back to Iowa w/in the next month or two, and I'm not sure how comfortable I am leaving Mr/Ms Pijn here w/my mom-in-law- -best of intentions, but sometimes not so great on actions, etc- -so we've decided to flier the area, and if that doesn't work, we'll put an ad in the paper. Hopefully Pijn's real mommy/daddy will be looking out for their little pinkishbrown buddy, but, if worst comes to worst, we will find this little bird a nice home before we fly away...

As for Pijn's leg-I dug through this site, and found some info about medicating pijns w/painkillers, and now, a tiny smidge of aspirin-in-water later, he/she seems slightly more willing to put a little bit of weight on it. I'm thinking its just the damaged toe, but if it doesn't improve rapidly now that we've provided aspirin, I'll be back, begging for splinting info....

I wanna say, just in case I don't come back, how impressed this site has left me. My folks used to travel the midwest, banding raptors for the Audobon Society, and I've always had a soft spot for folks who care for wingy things. (I'm more a four-leggedy type, myself...) Anyhow, if there were sites that were this informative and well-maintained for every type of non-human person, caring for our neighbors would be so much easier. Thanks for being here when novices like myself come along. You all have no idea how much good you are releasing into this sad old world...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Zymyn...

Thanks so much for helping this little guy. I think lots of times birds choose US, not the other way around. How special you are to have been "chosen". With that said, if you need to find a home for the bird, post here and/or in the adoption section. We have willing members all over SoCal, one of whom might be able to help.

I can rehab a broken leg (Ventura County), as can Terry in Lake Forest, but the distances might be a problem...hopefully there will be someone closer or you will find the owner....keep us posted if you can.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Zymyn...

Thanks so much for helping this little guy. I think lots of times birds choose US, not the other way around. How special you are to have been "chosen". With that said, if you need to find a home for the bird, post here and/or in the adoption section. We have willing members all over SoCal, one of whom might be able to help.

I can rehab a broken leg (Ventura County), as can Terry in Lake Forest, but the distances might be a problem...hopefully there will be someone closer or you will find the owner....keep us posted if you can.
Ditto .. I can also add someone in Orange if that helps .. Please do let us know what's going on.

Terry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.