Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I cant beleive im saying this but I have recently taken in a White-winged dove and might need someone in my area to adopt her. (sorry allmost in tears). I have been taking great care of her and she is doing great. She is still a fledgling but is eating solid food(dont have to force feed anymore) and drinking water. She is also a good flyer. I have been at my grandmas house and found her the day I arrived. Im going home tommorow and might not be able to keep her. My dad thinks it shouldnt be in a house and will make a mess. Kindof thinks of it as a pest. If possible i will do my best to keep it at least a couple of days until i can find someone to take her in. I will let you guys know. My email is [email protected]

Please keep us in your prayers so we dont have to do this. thanks,

Colin

I live in Ft. Worth Texas

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Did you ask her for a ferral to some one closer?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can try to ask...i know of a couple rehabilitators near me but if that didnt work out, i was wondering if someone from here could take her.......just in case

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
You could also build her a small loft/aviary combo outside and maybe get her a friend, maybe your dad would go for that? Then any mess would be outside. A lot of us have had pigeons and doves as inside pets, and then moved them outside to a warm and cozy loft and they adjust very well. You could spend time out there each day, and often find scrap lumber for cheap or even free to build it with. Also you'll want to find out for sure if white winged doves are legal for just anyone to have . . .which someone here will know, I'm sure. In order to keep some doves, you have to have a license. Are you sure she's a white wing dove? They are similar to a mourning dove but larger and have a white stripe on the bottom of their wings. They don't appear to be illegal to keep in Texas, as they are legal to hunt :)mad:) and are not listed as protected, which is good news. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would love a loft, if my dad would go for that. We just moved into a new house, so hes like"keep it clean, dont trash it". What about winters, it gets really cold even down here in texas

·
Registered
145 Posts
white wings typically migrate south for the harsh part of winter, but over the last 2-5 years the number of native white wings has grown rapidly, she would be fine through the winter, birds can survive in ver very cold weather outside.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes she needs to be released by a rehabber that may know of some good places to do it. you did your job, a good one at that and now it is time for her to live like nature intended. So give yourself a pat on the back you deserve it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Spirit Wings, Means alot. Ultimately thats what ive allways planned on doing, releasing her. I had to take her from the wild, and now i think its my job to put her back were she belongs. She would be happier......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.