Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am new to this site and I know very little about birds. I go to Arizona State University and today (it is now 2:00PM) around 9:45AM I noticed 2 young birds (i'm pretty positive they're pigeons) that were huddled together by one of my buildings. I looked around for parents and found none. One is larger than the other, and they look fairly young. I later returned to check on them around 12:50 or so, and they are hiding behind a trash can a few feet away from where they were this morning at 9:45. I am worried that they're lost or abandoned. I have no experience with birds, but if i should intervene/help i am 100% willing to do so. They looked frightened.Any suggestions? Also, I'm not sure how old they are. Thank you for any help you can offer!!

-TEDDY

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Is it an unsafe place? If not, then I would leave them alone, as they could be just out of the nest and learning. The parents could be watching and feeding them.
Also, they could be morning doves, which some have mistaken for pigeons, and the parents would be feeding them. If you don't have to take them, then they are better off to be finished being raised by the parents. You may have missed the parents coming to feed. Often people pick them up, not knowing that they are being taken care of by parents, then releasing them again is difficult, as they wouldn't have learned anything that the parents and flock would have taught them. So their survival chances go down a lot when released later. I would try to leave them alone and watch to see if they are being fed. The parents don't usually abandon them. This is how they learn to survive in the world. If it were on a busy street or somewhere that was really unsafe, then you do what you have to. But try to not interfere. I would check on them though. A picture of them would give us a better idea of their age.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts