Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning two pidgeons became victims of a power surge. One was killed and the other was sitting next to him with a hurt wing and a hurt "knee" I suspect.

The kids found them and I brought the hurt bird into the house. It takes NO time for the fire ants to devour something that cannot move.

Ok so here is my assesment:
Wing was bleeding in two spots. I bandaged it then later applied liquid bandage to the wing. The bleeding has stopped.

One foot seems to have bad color or at least a much lighter color than the other foot. Bird will not stand on either foot but one seems to have NO muscle responsiveness. The other one does. the bird flaps wings and tries to get away by using beak and flapping across the floor.

Stools are milk white and somewhat loose. There have been some formed stools in a puddle of white. One yellow stool today while I was bandaging wing (good thing I am a mom and used to being pooped on).

What I have done:

Bird is in box in my bathroom which is quiet. I used a rice sock initially but she does not seem cold anymore. (I have no idea if this is a he or she but the kids named her Abigail so...).

I have given her water. I had to show her how to drink from the small yogurt container full of water. It was very endearing. Since reading here, I will add some sugar, salt and a pinch of probiotics as well.

I have some nutty suet cake which I put in there with her. I also put some raw pumpkin seeds (hulled) in there and I see evidence of her eating some of them.

I am hoping there is someone more educated about birds nearby that can take on Abigail's rehab project. I am in South Georgia and will drive an hour or so to get her to a good home.

It has been a CRAZY month with taking in wild animals. The box that abigail is in was inhabited by wild cottontails two weeks ago that had a run in with a mower over thier nest (the groundskeeper at a local b&b did it and wanted my husband to kill them for him, naturally my husband brought them home). Then last week we had two animals get poisoned by agricultural pesticides when the corn fields were sprayed. Needless to say, I cannot give my vet anymore grocery money.

Please offer advice! She is a sweet bird and I am very suprised at how well she is taking my handling of her. I have quickly become enamored with this bird and I want her to get well. If they mate for life, it was her mate that was killed this morning and that just makes me even sadder.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Are you saying that they were sitting on a power line and got hit with a some kind of high voltage? There may be severe internal nerve burns.

Pidgey

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I heard the POP at the transformer. The power went out and then came back on quickly. My DSL filter was fried. This happened once before and a racoon bit the dust. We heard the loud pop, the phone and DSL went out and only later did we find the fried racoon in the ditch. Today, it was the same except two pigeons. One dead, feet in the air and this one next to it about 2 feet away.

How can I tell if she has nerve damage? Will she die. After the rabbits (who were fine and released happily) and the poisoned animals, I am not sure if I can handle burying a bird.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, the bird's in pretty bad shock and I guess we'll just have to see. There's no point in pressing her to eat at the moment, though. Liquids would be more important at this point. Have to look into this.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
As bad as I hate to say this, it may go really bad. The problem is one of the probability of actual steam having been formed in the tendons and joints, never mind neural damage. I want you to go here and read the section on "Power Cable Injuries" (gotta' scroll down). Then, using the pictures, examine the bird's feet to see if there are any similarities:

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2003/november/Cousquer/Avian-Wound-Management-Part-2.html#

Pidgey

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi BeanTree,

Wow...

I'd say keep her cool and quiet and safe for now...rig up a little simple Sling out of some old Tee-Shirt material, suspended at four points, so she is about level and comfortable and not being a 'wiggle worm'...

Cotton Tee-shirt material is just stretchy enough to be ideal, one layer so she does not get hot...like a hammock, sort of...open at the top...side of it going up where they attatch to whatever is suspending them...have it so her Legs are dangleing through comfortable holes, and, so she can poop over the end...

some of her wing-crawling will be from when she wishes to poop, and can not get out of her own way, and she is likely too shy to wish to do it if you are holding her.

Plenty of liquids...add some concentrated Cherry Juice or Cranberry if you can get some...say, a tablespoon to a teacup of Water...not the usual stuff, the no sugar kind...or some of the frozen concentrate kind would do.

And or actually, better yet, make some ACV-Water for her, which would be very good also, you can always add some Berry/Fruit concentrates to it.

Use 2-1/2 Tablespoons of Raw, Apple Cider Vinegar, to a Gallon of good quality Water, and let this be her drinking Water.

Do that..it will do her good...

Back injurys from falls can effect their Nerves so that they loose the use of their Legs for a while...sometimes days, sometimes weeks...and they can come back rather s-l-o-w-l-y, too sometimes, so expect some time with this one...

She may have some sort of electric shock injurys, but additionally, almost certainly has fall injurys.

Likely she will not have any appetite for a couple days...

No 'suet' blocks...no meat things...

Just get some plain ordinary 'Finch Seed' or Canary Seed at any Grocery Store in the pet isle...tomorrow or the next day, set her a little Bowl of that...some little custard cup or the likes...and if you sling her, just have the Water and Seeds on something so she can comfortable reach them...while her legs should be just almost touching the surface below...

Let us know how it is going?

Good luck..!

Can you post some images?

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Wow, that's an interesting link. That ought to go into the sticky section, just because it has so much good information in it.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
What more than likely happened was that one was perched on one lug and the other on another (they're not insulated). One probably reached over and touched the other in what was a gesture of love and completed the circuit. In order to generate the pop, there must have been a significant flow of energy. I remember a case of a man who was high on drugs and climbed up a power pole and actually lived but he lost his arms and legs.

Pidgey

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First of all, thank you so much for your time.

I looked at the two pictures I saw and they look NOTHING like Abigail's feet. There are no visible burn marks or blisters. The two wounds on her wing are the only places where she is losing blood or any fluid for that matter. They look as if she was scraped. They do not look like burns to me. The dead pigeon did look a bit fried.

My digital camera is on a tugboat with my husband or I would take pics. I have a camera on my phone but no other way to take photos of this bird.

She may be in shock, I will make sure she does not get plain water. When she finally got the hang of drinking, she drank quite a bit and has been eliminating. I just don't sense that she is near deaths door.(especially after looking at those pics) I feel like she has some injuries that may leave her crippled tho. I worry about those feet.

She has her moments where she flaps about but for the most part, she is very docile. Is that normal?

My daughter wants to be a vet when she grows up and I wonder if this is not part of some infinite plan to educate her.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Docility and shock go pretty well together. Seen a lot of that. It's good that you don't see swollen looking joints but the next few days are going to tell a lot. The longer she goes without going downhill, the better the prognosis, that's for sure.

Anyhow, it's not uncommon for them to not have a heckuva' lotta' appetite for up to three days after a bad traumatic injury. How much white stuff are we talking about? A flat blob the size of a quarter or something a lot more substantial?

Pidgey

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I would imagine she's still a bit shocked after being zapped. Hopefully she didn't get much of the current going through her and perhaps instead of passing through the body it went from foot to wing or something like that. Sorry about the other bird :(
Sometimes there is other internal damage that is not readily apparent. I remember a story on NPR about a man who got struck by lightning. He had ringing in his ears for a long time and lost some memories for awhile along with some other brain damage. His balance was affected. He had major headaches for months afterward but he's making a recovery and most of the problems receded after a few months.
I think you'll have a house guest for some time -- but a very cute one, I bet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing more substantial than that the size of a quarter. If not a bit smaller. She has defecated several times (I would say 5 or 6 in the last 12-13 hours).
I have a flock of "pet" ducks that I have raised and I am familiar with thier poop (it is all over my yard) this is definitely more watery than that. But I do notice that the consistancy of thier poop changes according to what they eat as well. Are pigeons the same?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
flits, she is gorgeous! I do not mind keeping her. The cats stay outside, with bells on thier collars so she is safe in here with us. I just hope that I am not killing her with my inexperience with avian first aid.

My ducks free range in the swamp during the day and if one is hurt, they usually just never come home. I am completely out of my league with birds. Cats and dogs I can usually handle.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
my posts are beind delayed hours or more...anyway, do please see my mentions some ways above...they did not appear till now...

Good luck..!

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok I will need to get her some feed.

Woke this morning to her standing on her one foot, the other one is still tucked under her and is not the same color as the one she will put weight on. When I picked her up, I tried to see if she would hold onto my fingers and apply weight, she did with help from my other hand.

Then she tried to fly away. It was funny because I watched her scope out hte bathroom for an escape plan. I had my hand on her tho.

She is spunky and trying to eat. She is drinking water and there are some formed stools in her box.

I really think she is going to be OK except for that maimed leg. THe joint is stiff and it is cold and reddish pink. Whereas the leg that is Ok is a dark purplish grey. I wish I could take pics.

Her wings seem in fine order.

I am going to be gone for most of the day, so I need to get on the t-shirt hammock for her. This is going to be fun rigging up in a cardboard box. I have an old dog kennel/crate for a large dog that might have to work as a cage for her.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
You'll need to monitor that for awhile when you put her in. Sometimes they can get really messed up in those things during the "getting used to it" period. Anyhow, you might see if you can get some Metronidazole (Flagyl) from a vet because it works well in necrotic tissue. This might go that direction and it'll take awhile to show up, if so. There is a product called "FishZole" that you can sometimes get from aquarium supply stores that will work.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Another thing that might come in handy later if the skin starts sloughing off due to a radiation burn would be a silver sulfadene cream.

Pidgey

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just spoke with the lady hosting the party to which we are going today. She has a good friend down the road from her that raises homing pigeons. Apparently he is very involved with a local club and she thinks that he may be able to come to her house and look at Abigail if I bring her.

So she is going to a party with us.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts