Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m new here. Sorry I wrote a novel. Please scroll to the dotted line if you wish to get right to “business”! ;-)

I manage a small bird rescue in my home in Austin, TX. We’ve primarily taken in small stray parrots such as budgies and cockatiels, but now we are venturing into pigeons.

I’ve got a (suspected) PMV pigeon -named Dallas- doing very well; he’s been here for almost 3 weeks now. He is about 10 weeks old and his main issue is actually blindness. His left eye was ruptured and infected when he was found abandoned in a mixing bowl outside an apartment building in Dallas, and his right eyelids are fused together. We couldn’t get control of the ruptured eye infection with oral and ophthalmic antibiotics, so he is now about 1 Week post eye-enucleation (eye tissue removal) and with regular flushing of the eye socket and gentle cleaning, it seems to be healing nicely.

—————————————————

Anyway, I’m really here to talk about a lost racer -named Elda- I took in almost 2 weeks ago. She presented with pigeon pox and canker. We initially thought her left eye was ruptured as there is a pox lesion on her eyelid and puss was oozing, making me think it was inner eye matter leaking from the eyeball. Luckily, once we got it cleaned up and flushed out, we found her eyeball intact. Today, the pox lesions are so large she cannot properly close that eye.

Here is our treatment plan; please advise if there is anymore I can be doing to help her recover:
-We are keeping the stuck-open pox-eye moist with petroleum-based eye lubricant and have been regularly flushing and cleaning the eye to prevent infection.
-I have been soaking her feet/legs in warm Epsom salt baths daily, which seems to really be helping those pox to dry up, and also soothe her sore feet.
-Today, I began applying dilute povidone-iodine (betadine) to the pox lesions on her face.
-She is receiving Avio 4-in-1 for the canker, and we are on day 5 of 7.
-She stopped eating yesterday, I think due to the pox growing on the edge of her upper beak and causing pain; she picks food up but then seems to feel discomfort and drops it. We are doing 2-3x/day tube feeds of Kaytee Exact with probiotics and beta carotene (vit A) added. It’s my understanding that the body will only convert as much beta carotene to vit A as needed, so using beta carotene is a safe way to deliver additional vit A without overdosing.
-We’ve also got a heatpad on low, underneath part of the floor of her cage, towels over the pad and covering the entire floor.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Bailey

Bird Vertebrate Beak Pigeons and doves Atlantic canary

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
The 4-in-1 meds is not a good thing to use, it won't have enough antibiotics to treat canker. Can you rather get Meditrich from Medpet that has the 100 mg tabets? If you can, give her 50 mg once daily after feeding. Do this for about 10 days until you are sure the canker has cleared up.

It is a good med to have, canker is one of the most common diseases in pigeons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Marina,

Thank you. I have ordered the Meditrich. I will go to my vet for Flagyl (Metronidazole like in Meditrich) if she doesn’t seem to be doing well waiting for the med to come in the mail.

My vet saw her already and confirmed the canker on a crop swab. He seemed to think the Retronidazole in the 4-in-1 was a good choice for canker, but he is also primarily a parrot vet and wanted to prescribe panacur to my entire flock..

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Rather go for the Meditrich. Myself and other members always get good results from using that. I hope the pox clears up quickly. Let us know how she is doing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. She was doing very well up until about 4 days ago when she stopped eating. She is still fighting the tube feeds and moving around her hospital cage a bit throughout the day so those are good signs, but she is also sleeping a lot and her breathing is a little labored. I am doing what I can for her.

The pox on her legs/feet are looking really improved but the pox on her beak is bothering her and those pox on her eyelid are gnarly. Poor girl. I am really hoping she recovers.

These photos are from Tuesday; the feet are a little better, the eye and beak are a little worse..

Feather Bird Chicken

Beak Eye Close-up Snout Neck

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Poor girl. At least she is in good hands and you are able to tubefeed and get food into her. Her beak might be permanently disfigured. Recently there was another thread by a member that had a 2 month battle with a pigeon that had pox. The beak was disfigured, but the pigeon eventually learnt to eat by himself again. Would love to see photo's after the recovery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m very sad to report that Elda declined rapidly last night, and passed away sometime during the night...

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I'm sorry you lost her, always sad when that happens. At least she did not die on the street of starvation. Thanks for helping her.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, she was a very lovely bird and I think grew to trust me. I am sad that I lost her, but I learned a lot while caring for her, and that will help future pigeons I intake.

Thank you for your help! I wish this has turned out differently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.