Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two 28 day old siblings have pox, they have it in the same place near the side of the beak and on top of the head. Why they have it on the same place? Do I have to separate them with other young birds? Does it affects their performance in the future? Any advise for prevention and treatment? Thanks

·
Registered
628 Posts
Luck of the draw as to where the lesions show up on the body. No cure just let it run its course. If you give them the pox vaccine they will have a mild case of pox so I wouldnt worry about it. I give my YB's the vaccine every year. Make sure you lock the birds up and dont let them fly to infect birds outside of your loft. Keep an eye out for secondary infections that may show up due to the stress on the birds. It will not negatively impact their performance and may very well help them if your competition gets the pox during race season as yours will be immune and theirs will be underperforming.
Ken

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luck of the draw as to where the lesions show up on the body. No cure just let it run its course. If you give them the pox vaccine they will have a mild case of pox so I wouldnt worry about it. I give my YB's the vaccine every year. Make sure you lock the birds up and dont let them fly to infect birds outside of your loft. Keep an eye out for secondary infections that may show up due to the stress on the birds. It will not negatively impact their performance and may very well help them if your competition gets the pox during race season as yours will be immune and theirs will be underperforming.
Ken
Thank you.. So I have to put them together in a separate cage, right? How would I know if they are fully recovered from pox? Approximately, how long does the pox can be considered cured? I'm just worried for their training schedules because I used to settle young birds about a month old then trap train them in a week after settling.. These pox might adjust my training schedule for them..

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Quaranteen them together and away from all your birds, keep them in a stress free environment.

If you can you should vaccinate all your birds, if they haven't already had the pox, that would be best. Also, keep mosquito netting around all openings of your loft, in addition to hardware cloth, as that will keep down the numbers.

I would guess your babies are getting the pox on their head, because it was easily accessible to the infected mosquito and where they were bit, is perhaps where the lesions show up. When we did the pox vaccine on our young it was on their leg and that is where a small sampling of the pox showed up. The birds need isolation from other birds for 6 weeks after the lesions show up (according to instructions on the vaccine), so you can use that as a guide to quaranteening the youngsters. Because they actually contracted the disease, you should quaranteen them for a bit longer period.

You should also give them plenty of supportive nutrition, and you can use colloidal silver topically on lesions to dry them up, around the eye's or nostrils. For lesions on the legs you can use the same or tee trea oil, watered down.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts