Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some young birds afflicted with pox some to the point where there practically blind. I have been hand feeding and treating for canker. Are the ones who are almost blind going to recover? They look awful also can you vaccinate while they are in the nest as fledglings. Some of them showed signs of pox before leaving the nest.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Sorry to learn that your birds are suffering from pox, Grim.

I believe that the birds need to be at least 4 weeks old before being vaccinated for pox.

It's good that you are giving these birds supportive care. With your help most, if not all, should survive and should be fine. I know it looks awful when the lesions are bad, but the lesions will dry up and fall off, and usually all is well at that point.

Please do keep us posted.

Terry

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I believe that once disease is over, their eyesight will recover as pox affects eyelids and surrounding area, which practically closes the eyes.
Pigeon pox vaccine:
Pigeons are vaccinated from 5 weeks of age. All birds at the loft should be vaccinated at the same time. Reaction should be observed in about 4 days. In bird that produce little or no reaction, process should be repeated in 5 to 7 days.
Birds who already show signs of disease should not be vaccinated. Only thing you can do is to separate affected birds, clean loft and stop breeding process until everything is over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts