Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello -

I am from Miami Beach, FL. We found a white pigeon/dove that had been hanging around our parking lot. It seems like their may be something wrong with its wing, since it can fly, but not far. So, we managed to capture it, and now we are trying to find who might own it. We took it to the Pelican Harbour Marina, which is a bird sanctuary, but they couldn't help because they said it was a domestic bird. We then took it to South Florida Wildlife Center in Fort Lauderdale, and they said they would take it, but if they could not help it, it would be euthanized. So, my friend is taking it to a bird vet this afternoon. The band reads: PP 1 6388.

Any help, suggestions or helpful comments are appreciated. It's really a pretty bird. I'm attaching a picture.

Thank you.
Christine

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
No idea what the PP stands for. A picture with the door open from side view of his face would help.
For now a good dove mix would be good for him, some grit and water. If the wing is injured then he will need it wrapped. Does he hold it lower than the other wing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jay thanks for the reply. I am hoping the Vet will be able to wrap the wing, and that it will heal. That will be wonderful. My friend is at the Vet now with the dove. I've fed it corn and wild bird seed and water. Hope that's okay. I'll try to post a better picture. Thanks again.
Christine

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Aww.............that's a better picture. Thanks. Looks like a young homer. Pretty. Could be lost from someone with racing birds, but might be from a wedding release type thing, where they release them at a wedding and they are supposed to circle and return to their loft. He probably got lost anyway and doesn't know how to get home. May have injured the wing, but might not be actually broken. Either way, he wouldn't last too long out there on his own. Especially being white..........he stands out even better to hawks. Good that you got him. Don't let him fly outside or he may take off where you can't get to him. You might check the area for places that do wedding releases. They may know something about where he came from. Let us know how it goes at the vet, or if you find anything out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based on what Jay said, I think we are going to name him Homer. So, Homer went to the Vet, and had x-rays. There are no fractures. The vet said he may have just been wounded, and to keep him for about a month. We have him in our bathroom, and are looking into finding it's home or an organization that will care for him.

I am feeding it wild bird seed and corn. Not sure if that is correct.

Thanks again.

Christine

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Great. Glad nothing is broken. Wild bird seed is okay, but would be much better with some other things added to it. Like split peas and lentils, and maybe a small amount of safflower seed. Homer would be an odd name if it turns out to be a little female. LOL. Hope you can find a good home for him/her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.