Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pigeon with a taenia that was unsuccsessfully treated with Albendazole several times. Last time I gave three days in a row, the last day being 30th August.

I have a drug containing in each tablet 25 mg Praziquantel and 72 mg Pyrantel (is for dogs). I think I can manage to break the tablet so that to obtain a piece containing 4 mg of Praziquantel, but would also contain something like 12 mg Pyrantel, while the dose of Pyrantel for a pigeon is 1-2 mg.

Do you think is safe to give this drug, including that overdose of Pyrantel?

I will try to find at some drugstores if there is a drug containing only Praziquantel but I don't have much hope. If somehow I find, I woule like to know only to know how many days I have to wait after the last Albendazole administration.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you. Are you talking about Droncit or there is other commercial name should I looking for? I visited some pigeon supply sites and couldn't find Droncit but I can buy it from Ebay.

Anyway, because shipping may take few days, I will try first to find if I can get some Praziquantel (Biltricide) for human use from a hospital, or maybe Niclosamide which I've read is equally efficient. If not, I will command online the veterinary drug.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I got today a tablet of Droncit 50 mg. What worries me is that it says one tablet is for 10 kg body mass of a dog, which means for a dog 6 mg would be given to 1,2 kg body mass.

My pigeon is 200 gr, wouldn't be too much to give 6 mg to her? Did anybody give Droncit to pigeons?

Please answer me as quick as possible as I wait an answer from you before giving the medicine and the bird is suffering because of starvation and intestine bite wounds (much blood in droppings everyday).

Also, tell me if I have to not feed the bird several hours before giving the drug.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Never used it. Personally, I would not use anything that is not formulated in the right dose for the birds.

According to the formulary in the British Small Animal Vet Association manual, the dose for Praziquantel for pigeons, orally, would be 10 - 20 mg for a kg of body weight. So, I would assume that is 1/5 for a 200g bird, say 2 - 4 mg. That is a very small proportion of the tablet, and you must not overdose.

Repeat after 14 days.

Better to order a pigeon-specific wormer online.

Droncit is specifically a dog and cat treatment for tapeworm, and due to animal metabolism, there is no correlation between dosages for mammals and birds.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you.

I gave the medicine to the pigeon, 2 mg. I cut the big pill in two, then in four then in eight, obtaining an ~ 6 mg piece (50 / 8 = ~6) and then I cut that piece in three.

But I'm afraid I gave too little, as is a very vigurous taenia apparently. I suppose now I have to wait 14 days for another administration.

I can't afford a specific pigeon dewormer, I bought only one tablet of Droncit, which costed around 10 $ with transportation.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you would be doing the bird a service to hand it over to a rehabber that can afford it. the whole idea is to make birds better, not create resistant parasites and bacteria being a laymen. basically if you can not find proper products and can not afford the right products and perhaps pay for an office visit to a vet then IMO find something else to do.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Anyone know of a rehabber in Romania .......

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
you would be doing the bird a service to hand it over to a rehabber that can afford it. the whole idea is to make birds better, not create resistant parasites and bacteria being a laymen. basically if you can not find proper products and can not afford the right products and perhaps pay for an office visit to a vet then IMO find something else to do.
There is not such thing as wildlife rehabilitation center in Bucharest and even if it was, I doubt it would been better than such centers in US, where from this forum I understood they kill pigeons that need too much time to care.

Vet services are not very expensive and the vet I visit most often, which is next to my home, don't ask any money if is not some more complex intervention, because knows I don't help pigeons for fun. And several times, I didn't have to pay either for lab tests or x-rays.

Most common medicines are cheap and I can afford them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts