Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Precious Pigeon Found

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, hubby and I found a pigeon last night at Home Depot that couldn't fly, only flutter a bit. His back end looked a bit swollen and his tail was dragging. He could walk a bit but "seemed" quite uncomfortable. We took him home and had him spend the night in a box. He's eating a drinking, so I think he's pretty okay. I did some research online and I think he has a blockage in the uropygial gland. I read where this is usually caused by a vitamin A deficiency, and maybe an infection of some sort to boot. I'd love to try to help him. If I were to take him to the Humane Society I'm afraid that their initial decision would be to euthanize him, and I don't think that's necessary. Pigeons aren't really high on people's list to save, but all wildlife is precious to me. Is there anything I can do at home to help him? I read to put warm compresses on the area and massage and supplement diet with vitamin A. Can someone give me more advice and suggest a feed or foodstuff to buy to help?

Thank you for helping this needy bird.

Is the bird pooping okay?

Where are you located, perhaps we can help? The bird needs to be seen by an avian vet or rehabber asap.

Does the bird have an arched back and lobster tail?

Could be a hen with egg stuck, meanwhile you can try the following.

The bird needs a calcium supplement too, you can give a liquid calcium or tablet, 1/4th of a human serving.

Allow the bird to bathe on its own, either in a plastic tub, or you can provide some necessary humidity, by enclosing the bird in a steam filled bathroom, without it having access to hot water.

Wild bird seed will do for feed. Also, try a drop of olive oil down the throat to help lubricate the tract.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Before trying to diagnose your pigeon, you should know possible symptoms and their meaning. Tail down and swollen back is actually abdominal pain. His tummy hurts and he bends his back.
Beside this you must pay attention on he’s a poop – color, water content, forming.
Open his beak and look inside – what color is his mouth, any strange lesions, mucus, smell.
Check his vent – is it clear are feathers mated dirty.
Eyes – bright or dull, does it keeps them closed.
Feathers – ruffed or smooth.
Does it eat a lot how often.
Does it drink water a lot, how often.
Anything else that you notice posture, movement. Does it preen his feathers, does stretch wings.
All these details will help diagnosing bird. There are several possible diseases in pigeons with very similar symptoms. Sometimes the smallest details helps.
Please note that even if your pigeon is ill, this is not dangerous or contagious for you.
Thank you for helping him.:)

·
Registered
34 Posts

Where are you located, perhaps we can help? The bird needs to be seen by an avian vet or rehabber asap.

The bird needs a calcium supplement too, you can give a liquid calcium or tablet, 1/4th of a human serving.

Allow the bird to bathe on its own, either in a plastic tub, or you can provide some necessary humidity, by enclosing the bird in a steam filled bathroom, without it having access to hot water.

Wild bird seed will do for feed. Also, try a drop of olive oil down the throat to help lubricate the tract.

No need to thank me...I enjoy helping animals and will always do what I can to save/help them! :)
Yes, Pidgey pooped pretty well during the night...all white and a bit pasty. I am in Miami...North Miami to be exact...zip code is 33181. I do not have a car, and I am in a wheelchair, so going really far is limited. I can use the buses, so I suppose I can put him in a box and take him somewhere that way if I get get to it by walking (rolling...lol).
His back IS pretty rounded and well...lobster tail? Sort of. He can move it up a down some, but it just doesnt look straight.
You've been VERY helpful, and I'll do all of what you suggest. If you can tell me who I can call/visit to help, I will do whatever it takes. I considered taking him to our vet (we have a dog and a ferret) but he doesn't do bird care. Don't worry, dog or ferret can't get to Pidgey...I made sure of that. Ferret is caged and we put Pidgey in the bathroom where it's warmest and most humid...with the door closed :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Before trying to diagnose your pigeon, you should know possible symptoms and their meaning. Tail down and swollen back is actually abdominal pain. His tummy hurts and he bends his back.
Beside this you must pay attention on he’s a poop – color, water content, forming.
Open his beak and look inside – what color is his mouth, any strange lesions, mucus, smell.
Check his vent – is it clear are feathers mated dirty.
Eyes – bright or dull, does it keeps them closed.
Feathers – ruffed or smooth.
Does it eat a lot how often.
Does it drink water a lot, how often.
Anything else that you notice posture, movement. Does it preen his feathers, does stretch wings.
All these details will help diagnosing bird. There are several possible diseases in pigeons with very similar symptoms. Sometimes the smallest details helps.
Please note that even if your pigeon is ill, this is not dangerous or contagious for you.
Thank you for helping him.

Let's see if I can answer YOUR questions. And no need to worry, I'm not afraid of catching anything...I'm more interesting in helping this little one. My husband is a veritable "Dr Doolittle". Animals love him, and he loves them. When he was placing the bird down in the box, he didn't want to go, and sat there on hubby's arm just looking at him...not afraid in the least.
He's not smelly, there's nothing oozy that I can find, no wounds or seeming fractures of any kind. His back end did feel a bit more puffy than I think it should...I thought it should feel a bit more tapered..that's why I thought of the uropygial blockage or infection. His eyes are a beautiful golden brown and he seems alert, but just very quiet. He moves his head to watch us, but just doesnt seem very active. We were feeding it a bit of bread at Home Depot just to see if it was hungry and to get it to trust us enough to get close. It did eat. But I want to feed it something more suited for what they are SUPPOSED to eat. Hubby ran some warm water in the tub and let him move around a bit in the water and he seemed to enjoy that and drank from it as well.
He does flap his wings when you pick him up, and looks like he's TRYING to fly, and will walk and flutter away from you when you walk toward him, but doesn't seem like he's got the strength or ability to want to REALLY get away. He just kinda sat there and let my husband pick him up, even though he did flutter at first....he calmed right down.
No, he's not preening at all. Just kinda sits there...not very active.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Precious Pigeon Found

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, hubby and I found a pigeon last night at Home Depot that couldn't fly, only flutter a bit. His back end looked a bit swollen and his tail was dragging. He could walk a bit but "seemed" quite uncomfortable. We took him home and had him spend the night in a box. He's eating a drinking, so I think he's pretty okay. I did some research online and I think he has a blockage in the uropygial gland. I read where this is usually caused by a vitamin A deficiency, and maybe an infection of some sort to boot. I'd love to try to help him. If I were to take him to the Humane Society I'm afraid that their initial decision would be to euthanize him, and I don't think that's necessary. Pigeons aren't really high on people's list to save, but all wildlife is precious to me. Is there anything I can do at home to help him? I read to put warm compresses on the area and massage and supplement diet with vitamin A. Can someone give me more advice and suggest a feed or foodstuff to buy to help?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Can you open his beak and check inside? It is important to see what it looks as. Healthy pigeon mouth is pinkish, moist without mucus, no yellowish or white liaisons, no smell and no coating on tongue. Open it with your hands, you may need help of your husband to hold him. See if it poops and how does it look. Put him in the box with newspapers on the bottom.
You can get some wild bird seed mixture from the shops. Spill handful in front of him and give him a dish of water. Pigeons are not used much to eat bread, especially youngsters.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Okay...I'll try all the suggestions above. Plamenh, I did send you a link to a google image that closely fits what he looks like with the rounded back end and the tail dragging.

His poop is white with a tiny bit of dark green at the end. I'm at work right now, but as soon as I get home, I'll do all the suggestions.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Also, forgot to mention that you can get a pigeon mix for his food. Most of us get it at a feed store. Also be sure that he has a dish that is at least 2 inches in depth to drink from, pigeons suck up their water like a straw, so the dish needs to be deep enough form him/her to dunk their beaks in.
and BTW- What gems you are for helping out this fallen feather!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also, forgot to mention that you can get a pigeon mix for his food. Most of us get it at a feed store. Also be sure that he has a dish that is at least 2 inches in depth to drink from, pigeons suck up their water like a straw, so the dish needs to be deep enough form him/her to dunk their beaks in.
and BTW- What gems you are for helping out this fallen feather!
Finally figured out the "quote" button...LOL...new here and all :)
Anyway...I did give it a little tupperware container which is around 2 to 2 1/2 inches deep full of water. He seemed to instead enjoy dipping his beak in the couple of inches of water that hubby put in the tub to "help him get himself clean". I'll go to Pet Supermarket after work and get him some wild bird seed, or pigeon mix if they have it, and some Tums as someone suggested. I just don't want the little fella to be in pain, and I'm afraid he is, as he's so quiet unless disturbed. I would so like to know what his ailment is so I can help.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Finally figured out the "quote" button...LOL...new here and all :)
Anyway...I did give it a little tupperware container which is around 2 to 2 1/2 inches deep full of water. He seemed to instead enjoy dipping his beak in the couple of inches of water that hubby put in the tub to "help him get himself clean". I'll go to Pet Supermarket after work and get him some wild bird seed, or pigeon mix if they have it, and some Tums as someone suggested. I just don't want the little fella to be in pain, and I'm afraid he is, as he's so quiet unless disturbed. I would so like to know what his ailment is so I can help.
No worries- we are all new here once!:D I do think it would be a good idea to see a vet, I will PM Reti and direct her to this thread. Then she could let you know about some of the avian vets there. In the meantime thoough- do like Treesa said and give the Tums. That way if it is an eggbound hen that would help her out. If not the tums will do no harm- so dont worry about that!
Not sure if you know how to do a PM yet- but if you ever wanted to do that it is called private messaging- you would click on that person's name in the thread and below that would give you an option to send the a PM.;):D Hope that helps. It will also allow you to look at their personal pages, where we are able to upload photos, tell more about ourselves etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No worries- we are all new here once!:D I do think it would be a good idea to see a vet, I will PM Reti and direct her to this thread. Then she could let you know about some of the avian vets there. In the meantime thoough- do like Treesa said and give the Tums. That way if it is an eggbound hen that would help her out. If not the tums will do no harm- so dont worry about that!
Not sure if you know how to do a PM yet- but if you ever wanted to do that it is called private messaging- you would click on that person's name in the thread and below that would give you an option to send the a PM.;):D Hope that helps. It will also allow you to look at their personal pages, where we are able to upload photos, tell more about ourselves etc.
Awesome...Thank you. The more help the better. One question about the Tums. Do I break it up into pieces, crush it, or just give it to him whole for him to peck at? Do I open his mouth and sprinkle some of it powdered in there?
P.S....I've filled out my profile info too! :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
You will take one Tums tablet and cut it into 4 pieces.... then take a 1/4 piece and break it into smaller pieces, then gently open the beak and feed it all to her(the1/4 part). If she protests- you can wrap her up in a hand towel like a birdie burrito, so she doesn't wiggle around. Also when your making your stops after work, pick up some grit at the pet store here is a link to the kind I buy
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753601 Make that so she can get it anytime she wants!;):D Also Iv'e PM Reti so check here through out the day for her....

Just FYI- Oyster shell and red grit are the others that I mix in with the grit that I showed you above.. They always need to have these... So if you end up at a feed store get the red grit and oyster shell It is prefered over the tums-- having said that, if you are in a pinch the Tums will do. Hopefully we can find a vet for her to see... I will look in the meantime for that!

·
Registered
34 Posts
You will take one Tums tablet and cut it into 4 pieces.... then take a 1/4 piece and break it into smaller pieces, then gently open the beak and feed it all to her(the1/4 part). If she protests- you can wrap her up in a hand towel like a birdie burrito, so she doesn't wiggle around. Also when your making your stops after work, pick up some grit at the pet store here is a link to the kind I buy
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753601 Make that so she can get it anytime she wants!;):D Also Iv'e PM Reti so check here through out the day for her....
Oh...I've seen that at Pet Supermarket! Awesome! I'll get that, and some pigeon mix bird feed and some Tums.
Wow, this birdy is really gonna be living it up well! :) Thank you!!

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Thank you for helping this poor little guy/gal.
My cat vet gave me the number for a vet who sees birds and is in Aventura 305-933-2287. I have never been to that clinic, so I don't have much to tell you about them.

Then there is Avian&Exotics in South Miami/Pinecrest, a little too far for you I would think but they are excellent.
This clinic is sort of pricey. The one in Aventura I don't know you can call for an estimate.

In Broward is a nice vet if you can get there (on Flamingo road) 954-538-0212. His fees are very reasonable.

You have received great advice so far so I hope Pidge will be alright.
If you need meds suggested by the members here I can help you with that tomorrow (Gotta go to work tonight).

Reti

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you for helping this poor little guy/gal.
My cat vet gave me the number for a vet who sees birds and is in Aventura 305-933-2287. I have never been to that clinic, so I don't have much to tell you about them.

Then there is Avian&Exotics in South Miami/Pinecrest, a little too far for you I would think but they are excellent.
This clinic is sort of pricey. The one in Aventura I don't know you can call for an estimate.

In Broward is a nice vet if you can get there (on Flamingo road) 954-538-0212. His fees are very reasonable.

You have received great advice so far so I hope Pidge will be alright.
If you need meds suggested by the members here I can help you with that tomorrow (Gotta go to work tonight).

Reti
Reti,

Thank you. I can surely get to Aventura. That's one bus. Hubby works in Aventura so I know the area very well. I'll call up there and see. I don't mind spending the money to help a wild bird get the help it needs. What are credit cards for anway, if not to help the little ones, huh? :)
I'll let you know how everything goes tonight and what the vet tells me. Thank you! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, I called Aventura Animal Hospital and they won't see the pigeon. He told me that the law prohibits them from treating wild animals and I would need to call a wildlife rescue. Problem is, they do not come and pick up the animal, I would have to take it to them, and the closest one is MILES away and I have no car. I'm also in a wheelchair so travel is somewhat limited. I'm just going to try to do what I can for it with the assistance of online guides and you wonderful people...and my nurturing common sense, being a mom...and hopefully we can get it feeling a little bit better and release it in the wildlife refuge park nearby...where there are no cats or dogs to bother it. Only other birds, squirrels and a nice pond with turtles...and a few iguanas.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I can't believe they won't see pigeons. That is not what my cat vet told me.
There is no way to get to Avian and Exotic? They also work after hours, late.
Which wildife rescue did they recommend? If it is Broward, DO NOT take it there, they don't bother to treat pigeons.

Reti

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You see, in the communication with Vets it is always good idea to mention pet pigeon instead of feral pigeon. On the phone no one sees you blushing.:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't believe they won't see pigeons. That is not what my cat vet told me.
There is no way to get to Avian and Exotic? They also work after hours, late.
Which wildife rescue did they recommend? If it is Broward, DO NOT take it there, they don't bother to treat pigeons.

Reti
They gave me numbers to both Broward and Dade which is way down in South Miami/Homestead...about 40 miles south of me. They won't take pigeons either! I knew it...no one cares about these birds. They're seen as vermin by most "rescuers", which I cannot understand...they are a LIFE, for Pete's sake!! Can you tell I'm upset? I AM! Frustrated to the max and crying as I type. I am going to TRY my darnedest to make sure this little guy survives, and then I'm going to teach it to poop on the cars of the people responsible for making these stupid laws about not treating pigeons!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts