Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just got a couple of question here. Do you guys ship birds on an empty crop going to 150 and 200 miles? We ship on Saturdays for the short and middle distances. Do you loft fly your birds on the day before shipping for the short distances?

Thanks in advance. :)

kalapati
San Diego

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I feed my Old birds in the early morning on Friday and give then a light snack an hour or so before basketing so they will take a drink of water. If they are healthy what they eat on Friday afternoon should be digested before they are released on Saturday morning. I don't want my birds stuffed before going in the basket so they are not digesting anything when trying to race home but that's just how I feed.

I don't loft fly the day before shipping I want the birds to be relaxed and be loaded with energy. An old saying around here is that you don't fly your races in the middle of the week .
This year I'm going to try to add a bath for my birds on Friday just to help the birds relax in the afternoon too, something new for me so I can't really recommend it just yet but I watched a few DVD's and more than one person does the bath on shipping day to relax the birds.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I feed my Old birds in the early morning on Friday and give then a light snack an hour or so before basketing so they will take a drink of water. If they are healthy what they eat on Friday afternoon should be digested before they are released on Saturday morning. I don't want my birds stuffed before going in the basket so they are not digesting anything when trying to race home but that's just how I feed.

I don't loft fly the day before shipping I want the birds to be relaxed and be loaded with energy. An old saying around here is that you don't fly your races in the middle of the week .
This year I'm going to try to add a bath for my birds on Friday just to help the birds relax in the afternoon too, something new for me so I can't really recommend it just yet but I watched a few DVD's and more than one person does the bath on shipping day to relax the birds.
This is precisely what I do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Question

Put yourself in the birds position.
You must work SAT. MORNING. Your wife feeds you early FRI. MORNING.
Light snack FRI. NIGHT. No food SAT. MORNING BEFORE YOU GO TO WORK.

Are you going to preform your best at your job ? AND BE PHYSICALLY and MENTALLY ALERT. We are not sure what kind of day you will have at work it could be hard or easy.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some fanciers suggest that shipping conditioned/healthy birds to short distances with empty crops make them home faster. I have not done it yet that is why I'm asking members here for their opinions. Anyway, thanks for the responses.:)

kalapati
San Diego

·
Registered
102 Posts
Feeding

Remember , you are feeding a athlete ( human or animal ). They need to be mentally and physically fit at all time to compete at high level.
When we fly short races , they may not be easy . 150-200 miles could take several hours on wing.
If you want to try it , do it with half your race team and feed the other half and judge for yourself.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I don't ship with an empty crop. Feed according to kind of weather you think the birds will encounter and the distance of the race.
You may ship with feed in the crop but I will say again , if the birds are healthy by Saturday morning they will have an empty crop and plenty of fats stored in the muscle and body, good carbs from the last feeding for the first hour of flight and plenty of sugars from the liver to exit the basket if you prepared them right. It really is true that what they have eaten on Thursday is more important for the Saturday race than what they get on Friday. Remember the 24 hour digestion rule of thumb. I don't remember suggesting anyone not feed their birds on Friday , I said and that's just me is : I feed Friday morning and very light again on Friday night before they go to shipping. He is talking about a 150 and a 200 mile race which should require at 40 MPH 15 grams of fat stored in the bird to make the 5 hour flight , and you can't get it all in on one feeding and that's why some people will recommend the resting time on Friday so you know the birds have the stored energy for the race ahead. Head wind and longer distance , sure we need to load them up a little more with fats for say Wednesday and Thursday and Friday morning feedings.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Feeding

Wish I had a "CRYSTAL BALL " , but I don't. I can look at the weather report and anticipate conditions and figure race time , etc. ,but how many times am I correct. And let's say I am correct 100 % of the time , that is for the winning bird. Now let's look at the other 99% of the birds , that are 10 minutes late or 2 hours late or more. What kind of condition will they be in returning from the race ?
We have a small race team 20-30 birds , we expect them to fly each week.
If we hit a tough race and birds return several hours late , I may have no race team for next week. Fanciers that have 100 bird race team you have no problem , just pick another 20 birds.
We feed our birds , it works for us and we are happy with our results.
Whatever your method if you are getting the results you desire than it works for you.
The one nice thing about our sport , if you race , results are their for all to see !

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does not look like you have a trapping problem from the video.
I always believe that I want the birds home in winning time. If they don't trap , than I have a management problem.

They used to land on the roof before but after I installed the net they're trapping faster now. They won't waste those precious seconds anymore coming from the race.:D

Also I can get more flight time if I have this owl prowler in front of my loft. As soon as I take it out they trap quickly inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_yhvvpDnno

kalapati
San Diego

1 - 15 of 15 Posts