Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a novice pigeon fancier and was researching a preventitive schedule, when I found a thread with detailed info from Trees Gray. The thread is now closed so decided to open a new one. My question is I have newly aqquired a starter lot of a dozen young homers, I would like to start them on your suggested schedule but I was wondering if the dolphilus powder, multi vitamin and wheat germ were used once a week, yearly or seasonally? Maybe just during racing? Also you mentioned brewers yeast was not suggested on young birds. Could you elaborate on that? After reading that I am unsure if my birds would be old enough to recieve it. One other question... Being new to all of this!! If I were to purchase any vaccines, could you explain were to give the shot? I have no clue!! thank you for sharing your knowledge, I'm thankful there are folks like you out there!!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I am a novice pigeon fancier and was researching a preventitive schedule, when I found a thread with detailed info from Trees Gray. The thread is now closed so decided to open a new one. My question is I have newly aqquired a starter lot of a dozen young homers, I would like to start them on your suggested schedule but I was wondering if the dolphilus powder, multi vitamin and wheat germ were used once a week, yearly or seasonally? Maybe just during racing? Also you mentioned brewers yeast was not suggested on young birds. Could you elaborate on that? After reading that I am unsure if my birds would be old enough to recieve it. One other question... Being new to all of this!! If I were to purchase any vaccines, could you explain were to give the shot? I have no clue!! thank you for sharing your knowledge, I'm thankful there are folks like you out there!!
Lets see, well I would'nt be worried about giving them a bunch of "stuff", the ACV, is usuallly given a few times a week. as far as the B.yeast goes, it is not given to breeders or young because just in case may cause a fungal problem, not sure how that works, but yeast is a living organism. probios are helpful after meds like anitobios, some give it the day after they give the ACV as the ACV makes for a good enviro for the probios to live in. I think the main things to help your birds is good husbandry, A clean well ventilated loft, does not have to be sparkling clean, just common sense clean, good clean grain, with corn in the winter for extra carbs and when breeding, up the protein, of course the oyster shell and red grit. clean fresh water daily in a spot that will not keep the loft wet, offer bathing a few times a week with 1 tablespoon of 20 mule team borax to the gallon, or just clean water, some add a bit of vinegar too. as far as the shots go, some inject in the back and other in the leg, they come with instructions. some worm 2x a year, or you can take a fecal sample to your vet and have them check for worms, if they have any deworm for that particular worm, if you don't want to do that, rotate different wormers, twice a year. Garlic is used also, I don't tend to use it, because time just seems to be short and they get the ACV and I add a pellet to the grain for extra vit....also, they do love the pick pots which have trace minerals, I like to supply them with that...

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hello and thank you for your interest in preventive nutrition/maintenance.

How old are your birds?

As far as when to use it, you would go by the manufacturers suggested usage, as far as the brewers yeast, wheat germ oil, and multivitamin-these are avialable for pigeons from pigeon supply stores.

I only do the multi-vitamin once a month, and the wheat germ oil and brewers yeast ever two weeks, and then probiotics to follow. I do the garlic in the water on the weekends and then the ACV in the water a couple of times a week, those are critical. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and does many wonderful things, besides the fact that it repels worms and other parasites it increases te bloom in the feathers, and is a natural antibiotic. However, if your birds are out flying and allowed to forage they should be wormed seasonally, use a wormer that is specifically designed for pigeons and follow dosage very carefully.

There are instructions and I believe, a video on how to vaccinate a bird here is one link:
You can find alot of information in the RESOURCES section in the DAILY forum.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f25/how-to-vaccinate-a-pigeon-27038.html

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I usually crush the clove with a knife and then put into water immediately-to for optimum potency. Because as soon as it is crushed it starts to lose its "goodness".

However, you can cut it up and then put in water, making sure to add all juices. Some people also buy the already cut up garlic in the jar, you can find that in produce dept. it works too. I also use garlic caps for long term individual care.

The goodness of garlic:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/the-goodness-of-garlic-12553.html?highlight=goodness+garlic

1 - 5 of 5 Posts