Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit over six months ago, my 4 young birds came to me with all their vaccinations, so I had been set with them. Now I have new babies that need their pox and of course I need to do the yearly and bi-yearly of the other two.

Althought I have no plans to introduce new birds, or expose my birds in races, I have noticed that there are lonely ferals from the neighbor's barn hanging around. They are now coming out and flying with my birds, then sitting on the loft waiting for them to come out.

So, I decided that I should, sooner rather than later get all my birds on a system.

Don't worry, I am getting closer to the point!

I have a really small loft (currently only 10 live birds), and while it is growing, I don't currently need doses of 50 or 100, and that is all I can find online.

What my question is, how long of a shelf-life do these products typically have? If I treat my 6 babies for Pox and a booster, that is still only 12 doses. Will I be able to use the same bottle next year? With the Salmonila, I can't imagine that I would use 100 doses of that in 6 months on 10 to 12 birds.

I am starting to think that it might be a good idea to actively look for someone with a small loft near me and we can share the expense and help each other vaccinate.

· Registered
5,352 Posts
A bit over six months ago, my 4 young birds came to me with all their vaccinations, so I had been set with them. Now I have new babies that need their pox and of course I need to do the yearly and bi-yearly of the other two.

Althought I have no plans to introduce new birds, or expose my birds in races, I have noticed that there are lonely ferals from the neighbor's barn hanging around. They are now coming out and flying with my birds, then sitting on the loft waiting for them to come out.

So, I decided that I should, sooner rather than later get all my birds on a system.

Don't worry, I am getting closer to the point!

I have a really small loft (currently only 10 live birds), and while it is growing, I don't currently need doses of 50 or 100, and that is all I can find online.

What my question is, how long of a shelf-life do these products typically have? If I treat my 6 babies for Pox and a booster, that is still only 12 doses. Will I be able to use the same bottle next year? With the Salmonila, I can't imagine that I would use 100 doses of that in 6 months on 10 to 12 birds.

I am starting to think that it might be a good idea to actively look for someone with a small loft near me and we can share the expense and help each other vaccinate.
Your last sentence is the best solution. I suggest that you do this at least twice a year so that all birds get a shot at least once per year. In the case of YB's early in the year, and then in the fall again after racing, and in preparation of breeding.

I have other club members bring birds to my place, and we dip and vaccinate. There is no official estimate of a shelf life. No reliable way to know if last year's vaccination works or not. It's not a 100% even if you follow the specs to the T. The Pox must be used and quickly...no saving at all.

Order the stuff, and then get other people to pay you a per shot price. $1.5 per vaccination, or something like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.