Pigeon-Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
ponds

It all depends on just what your plans are and how big your pond is. Is your pond spring feed, how deep is it, does it freeze in winter, do you treat it for swimming or weed control.

Do you want to?
Just feed and watch
catch and release
catch and eat
catch and sell

I myself just have minnows LOL for insect control. I have thought about raising coy But my finances are streched to far as is. Even though it is a pond you would still have to provide aeration in the winter and cut holes in the ice to feed or they can just feed on themselves (not good) There is a lot to think about just putting fish in a pond and a lot of reading and talking to people is in store for you to do it right.
I can tell you that around here people use small mouth bass because they are a very tolerant pond fish. Many have added bluegill only to find them to be major pests while swimming. I have also seen many who have tried other types only to get the winter kill off and it is not a pretty site.
>Kevin

·
Registered
754 Posts
game fish

The pond is 180 feet/80feet and is 15 feet deep. I wanted to stock gamefish in it. (I like the sport of fishing)
Leopard
I would go with the small mouth bass, they are really good for catch and release too. Blue gill mutiply fast so would be a good natural feed for them along with minnows you can get at the bait shop.

Just a note, if you use copper sulfate for weed control if not done carfully you WILL kill all fish in the pond.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hi there, Leopard.

We have both a garden pond (BIG / 4400 gals) with golds & koi and a 13 acre "beaver pond" which, many years ago, was "stocked" with small mouth and blue gill brought home as a stringer by a neighbor's young son (NOT recommended!!!) It's actually a flooded field (and sits atop our town's aquifer). It's shallow (6' by the dam but 2'-3' throughout the remainder) and it's attraction is fishing, canoeing/kayaking, and wildlife observation. Because it is a "Bass pond", there is also a large population of snapping turtle and leech....ergo. it is NOT for swimming. KNOW that leech go along with small mouth BUT small mouth are GREAT fun for catch & release - even the tiny ones will grab the hook!!! btw, its a wholly natural pond so we don't do anything to it ... although we are what one might call "anal" about what could flow into it !!! I think our 'neighbors' (we all have large parcels) would rather have a visit from DES than from us:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
We have a pond and a creek. Our neighbor fishes religiously, and their pond is connected to ours by a creek...soooo...when we get a good rain and the creek floods, their fish have the ability to sneak over here :p
We also put some of what we catch in from the river and whatnot. We've got mostly crappy and brim, with some large mouth bass and possibly a catfish.
The herons love to come down here and fish for some food :p

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Well, if you have too many fish, you can run into some problems in warmer weather as far as oxygen levels go. We have a fountain type of thing that we can put in the pond every once in a while, to keep the water circulating.
As far as habitat goes, you may want to provide some cover for when they start having families. Fish love trees and brush that have sunk to the bottom. They like hiding in it :p Cat tails, lillies, or other thick vegetation like that would probably make them happy as well. It'd also make the frogs and bugs happy, which in turn, gives the fish food! :)
Other than that, fish pretty much know what to do~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.