Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing a young pigeon, with some abnormalities in his beak. So after lots of trial today I finally caught him. When I opened his mouth I saw two small cheese like growth inside. And the upper beak is also covered with a growth. Is he suffering from both canker and pox? Also his butt is smeared with paste like poop, what do I do about it? His weight is around 150gm and he's a squeaker. I have metronidazole for canker, it's a suspension of 5ml=200mg. Please advise the dosage.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Are those yellow growths in the front of his beak? Then he probably has some wet pox. I've read canker is more towards the back of the throat. The growths on his beak is definitely pox. Are you handfeeding him? Defrosted green peas will be best to handfeed. Feed him about 120 peas divided into 3 meals of 40 every day. Dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water to make him drink. Make sure his crop empties inbetween feedings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are those yellow growths in the front of his beak? Then he probably has some wet pox. I've read canker is more towards the back of the throat. The growths on his beak is definitely pox. Are you handfeeding him? Defrosted green peas will be best to handfeed. Feed him about 120 peas divided into 3 meals of 40 every day. Dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water to make him drink. Make sure his crop empties inbetween feedings.
No I didn't handfeed him as he eats and drinks on his own. I only feed him medicine.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
You can clean all the dried up droppings by using a wet cloth soaked with lukewarm water. Keep on rinsing till the droppings come apart and remove them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can clean all the dried up droppings by using a wet cloth soaked with lukewarm water. Keep on rinsing till the droppings come apart and remove them.
The yellow sore inside his mouth is on the roof of his beak, its like a tiny cooked rice in size. And I washed away all his poop yesterday, but two smalls balls seem sticking to his skin so I didn't try to remove those as much. Also he's pecking and sleeping alternatively, he pecked during the night too. Do you think I should still force feed him? And should I try to clean the outer area of his beak or let it be? I've added some new images, kindly check.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
If he is eating well, then no need for handfeeding. You will know if he is eating by how the droppings look like. There should be plenty of droppings overnight and they should be bulky as in the first photo. I saw your post on the Palomacy site. Some do say this is canker. Are you going to treat him?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If he is eating well, then no need for handfeeding. You will know if he is eating by how the droppings look like. There should be plenty of droppings overnight and they should be bulky as in the first photo. I saw your post on the Palomacy site. Some do say this is canker. Are you going to treat him?
This is the picture of his latest poop. I'm sorry he has made a mess with his seeds, I'll clean it up now. I'm giving him metronidazole. I'm trying to order Ronidazole also.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
His upper beak is a bit shorter than the lower one. You can put the seeds in a deep dish (about 3 cm depth) will be easier to pick up. He needs about 30 mg of metro once a day. You can also add apple cider vinegar to his drinking water twice a week. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His upper beak is a bit shorter than the lower one. You can put the seeds in a deep dish (about 3 cm depth) will be easier to pick up. He needs about 30 mg of metro once a day. You can also add apple cider vinegar to his drinking water twice a week. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water.
Ok I can do that. Does he also need Ronidazole?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
No. First try the metro, it's a good meds for canker. Rather spend the money on getting some probiotics to restore the good gut bacteria after antibiotic treatment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. First try the metro, it's a good meds for canker. Rather spend the money on getting some probiotics to restore the good gut bacteria after antibiotic treatment.
Okay. Please suggest some probiotics for him which would be available in India.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You will need to check online what is available. If you can get Medpet products, you can order some of their probiotics.
No MedPet isn't available I search earlier too. Can you list the name of the components? I'll search then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You will need to check online what is available. If you can get Medpet products, you can order some of their probiotics.
MedPet isn't available in India, I checked earlier too. Can you name the components in the probiotics so that I can search ? All the brand names are different here so I have to match manually.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been noticing a young pigeon, with some abnormalities in his beak. So after lots of trial today I finally caught him. When I opened his mouth I saw two small cheese like growth inside. And the upper beak is also covered with a growth. Is he suffering from both canker and pox? Also his butt is smeared with paste like poop, what do I do about it? His weight is around 150gm and he's a squeaker. I have metronidazole for canker, it's a suspension of 5ml=200mg. Please advise the dosage. View attachment 97452 View attachment 97456 View attachment 97457 View attachment 97454 View attachment 97455
Canker is also TRICHOMONIASIS. This is in throat and causes wet beak. And cannot swallow.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts